ADVERTISEMENT

With the Doty situation. I got a question for yall

You always go with the quarterback that gives you the best chance to win, and that's something the coaches will obviously have to determine in practice. I do believe it would be wise, however, to give your backup some meaningful snaps.

Should a player automatically get his starting position back if he gets injured. In other words if one of the backup quarterbacks just totally blows up and has a great game or 2. Do you go back to Doty if he is ready ?
Absolutely not. Why would you ever replace what’s working with an unknown? You slowly ease him back into games after it’s been decided to shake the rust off and give him the chance to win the job back.

Absolutely not. Why would you ever replace what’s working with an unknown? You slowly ease him back into games after it’s been decided to shake the rust off and give him the chance to win the job back.
This is impossible to answer definitively. A lot of variables here. Blowing up vs Eastern Illinois doesn't equal blowing up vs Georgia.

Why isnt he at BAMA, or OKIE st. if he is the Next Peyton Manning?? You got a crush??
ECU BEAT noone last year.. they lost to UCF, Ga State, Navy, Tulane, etc etc etc on to a 3-6 record playing Nobodys, so why again is he so much better than ANYONE on South Carolina Roster!!??
How good do you think we are? We won two games last year. We won four games the year before. I know very little about ECU's roster, but it isn't hard to believe East Carolina has a better Qb.

Reactions: bflogger28
That is a fair statement. No, I have not attended any practices nor have I ever been to the football operations building. I just get the feeling that Coach Beamer named Doty as the number one quarterback on the depth chart earlier this year due to avoiding angering the fanbase on who should be quarterback. Coach Beamer did not want to relive the situation that Coach Muschamp had when they started Hill over Hilinski.

Doty could be the best option for South Carolina, but from what I watched in the games he played last season I am not sure. I also understand that last season Doty was a true freshman. I do not have a favorite on who the quarterback should be. I just want the best person that gives South Carolina a chance to win.
It could also be that Doty picked up the offense quicker and is quicker on the reads than the other QBs, in other words he’s the better qb.

I'd be stunned if Doty is out there for the EIU game. That's a little over 2 weeks away and it's highly unlikely he'd be back to full strength until sometime next week, at the earliest. That's just a lot of critical practice time to be missing. The caveat would be if he's far ahead of the other QBs, which may be the case. IF he's the starter for EIU, that'll tell us the coaches view him as being head and shoulders above the other guys.

How good do you think we are? We won two games last year. We won four games the year before. I know very little about ECU's roster, but it isn't hard to believe East Carolina has a better Qb.
Not Only a Better QB,, but not a single guy on SC roster is as good as their QB.. LAUGHABLE!!!

I'd stay with the backup as long as he's performing at a high level...at the first sign that his play is slipping, however, I'd bring in a replacement.

It's not uncommon for an unproven player to have a handful of very good games, only to come back to earth once other teams are aware of tendencies and weaknesses. Certainly, there are situations when the opposite is true - Brady and Gerhig mentioned as prominent examples already.

Each situation is unique...it's ultimately up to the coach to chart the best path forward given the uniqueness of these situations when they arise.

I didn't make the post, I only agreed with it. Maybe slightly exaggerated. Who are the playmakers on our team?
NONE apparently, I am being told, with which i disagreed, that their QB is "TWICE as Good as anyone on SC team?. Twice as good?? lifts twice as much?? Twice as fast?? Twice as Smart?? etc etc etc Not sure how he could possibly even measure that if it was not such a preposterous claim...

I didn't make the post, I only agreed with it. Maybe slightly exaggerated. Who are the playmakers on our team?
Kevin Harris, Says Hi!! Enagbare says hi, Joyner says hi, just to name a couple, so in my opinion i wouldnt trade any of these three for "THEIR" QB.. Much less 1/2 of their QB!!

Kevin Harris, Says Hi!! Enagbare says hi, Joyner says hi, just to name a couple, so in my opinion i wouldnt trade any of these three for "THEIR" QB.. Much less 1/2 of their QB!!
Is Harris healthy and ready to go?
Joyner is a playmaker?
Enagbare, glad he decided to return.

I think your anger is misplaced.

If it’s Peyton Manning he’s probably getting his job back but this isn’t a situation where you are replacing a guy who has proven to be a phenomenal player. At this point Doty is as much of an unknown as any other QB on the roster.
He might be "unknown" to us, but not to the coaches. That's what matters.

He might be "unknown" to us, but not to the coaches. That's what matters.
He’s still an unknown to the coaches as well. He may look like amazing in practice but there is nothing to support that in an actual game he’ll be successful. He’s 0-3 as a starter with more INTs than TDs.

• Haha
Jason Brown is the most accurate of all QBs, has the quickest release of all and has that it factor , he is a playmaker, he takes the top off of defenses by that I mean he has that vision down field that either you have it or you don't he does . Here's what is holding him back. He has been in a spread no huddle offense all his life and now the coaches are asking him to huddle that's been his problem. But make no mistake he is a playmaker at QB

Should a player automatically get his starting position back if he gets injured. In other words if one of the backup quarterbacks just totally blows up and has a great game or 2. Do you go back to Doty if he is ready ?
nope, has to win it back in practice. Isn't that what led to Muschamp having to leave UF?

Interesting question. But blowing up against the first two opponents would be the wrong measuring stick IMO. Maybe Doty gets the job back but is on a very short leash. After all you have one or two games to evaluate with Brown or Gauthier, perhaps.

Just another data point to enter into the QB competition which should run all year.

No coach Sat nothing is promised and when Luke comes back they will evaluate the state of the team and position at that point and time

In our situation Doty is QB1 once he returns. He earned his spot in camp but never got his shot. Now if say midseason Doty goes down during a game and we just look like a better team without him we can discuss handing the keys over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT