ADVERTISEMENT

With the new renovation, the WB capacity is down to 77,000 plus.*

I think it was North Carolina that finished their renovation last year that reduced capacity as well.

I agree this is going to be the norm around college football.

I think it was North Carolina that finished their renovation last year that reduced capacity as well.

I agree this is going to be the norm around college football.
UNC chairbacked the entire stadium. Dropped it by about 8,000 if I’m not mistaken.

Smaller with better design elements and amenities is definitely the way to go. Basketball arenas have been doing that for some time and most that I have seen are much better with smaller capacities.

Reactions: king ward
It's too big, even at that. And other college venues are going to be too big also. The adoption of the pro pricing structure and PSL models by the colleges and the proliferation of televised games on HDTV have reduced attendance. That will be a permanent state of affairs unless the population increases markedly. With Western birthrates declining, appreciable population increase might depend on unbridled immigration.

I have advocated a complete rebuilding of the North End Zone to include an inside concourse and box seats throughout, along with premium seating. Those changes would further reduce capacity, but they would still be welcome alterations to a blighted complex. The current plans in place for that part of the stadium are inferior.

Unfortunately we'll still be able to see empty upper decks. This reduction to capacity came due to the changes to the club levels. I know the EC has less sections (9-10 less), and many less seats that previously.

What's the EC? Thanks in advance.

Not to change the subject, but how little are the seats at Tennessee? Lol

Very small. One has to sit like they are in a Barber Shop Quartet with their shoulders parallel to the field. Been to UT many times over the years.

The best part of going to a UT game was the BBQ sponsored by the Knoxville Gamecock Club. The Knoxville Gamecock Club hasn't sponsored the BBQ in a few years. But it was fantastic.

Reactions: Bad seed
But they have announced attendance of more than 83,000 on several occasions.

At the UGA game where the Gamecocks won 38-7 (or something like that ) the announced attendance was 84,000 and was also reported as the highest attendance ever at WB.

Smaller with better design elements and amenities is definitely the way to go. Basketball arenas have been doing that for some time and most that I have seen are much better with smaller capacities.
It's heartening to be able to agree with you (😁). There was a time - back when Dietzel came and as late as the Holtz era, that I could see a premier program in Columbia with a 100,000-seat stadium as its centerpiece. Now that will never be - unless the trends change over the generations after ours, a remote possibility. The watchword now is excellence, not size.

Extremely poor timing for us in hoops. We built a massive space that we have no way of filling for mens hoops outside of 1/2 games per year.

It's too big, even at that. And other college venues are going to be too big also. The adoption of the pro pricing structure and PSL models by the colleges and the proliferation of televised games on HDTV have reduced attendance. That will be a permanent state of affairs unless the population increases markedly. With Western birthrates declining, appreciable population increase might depend on unbridled immigration.

I have advocated a complete rebuilding of the North End Zone to include an inside concourse and box seats throughout, along with premium seating. Those changes would further reduce capacity, but they would still be welcome alterations to a blighted complex. The current plans in place for that part of the stadium are inferior.
LOL, population has absolutely nothing to do with it. Price the tickets at $10 and every game would be sold out, always. The problem is overpricing with the pro style plans, if you want a full stadium. Obviously, the university cares more about profit than fans. It was a family affair, once. Now becoming a rich man's event with ever increasing seat license, tickets, and more. The average Joe and Jill are being priced out. Has nothing to do with population.

Reactions: Cybercock
I love it and its beautiful.

And I love it. Its beautiful.

Commonwealth Stadium....they can call it Kroger Field all they want, but it will always be Commonwealth Stadium to me....was always my favorite road trip in the SEC, even before the renovations.

Win and they will come....

Win and they will come....
Not like they used to come. Even if they want to, the dye has been cast. Admit fewer people into a nicer environment and charge them more. Do what he pros do. This is how it's going to be. The alternative ways of delivering the product electronically are not likely to diminish, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT