ADVERTISEMENT

With the new renovation, the WB capacity is down to 77,000 plus.*

Commonwealth Stadium....they can call it Kroger Field all they want, but it will always be Commonwealth Stadium to me....was always my favorite road trip in the SEC, even before the renovations.
I enjoyed going to Lexington. I enjoyed going to Knoxville also. It was a great trip, even if the stadium was junk. They spent millions over several years on that stadium not long ago. Has anyone been lately? Is it still decrepit? Did they improve it any?

LOL, population has absolutely nothing to do with it. Price the tickets at $10 and every game would be sold out, always. The problem is overpricing with the pro style plans, if you want a full stadium. Obviously, the university cares more about profit than fans. It was a family affair, once. Now becoming a rich man's event with ever increasing seat license, tickets, and more. The average Joe and Jill are being priced out. Has nothing to do with population.
You missed my point - and I'm amazed how easily, I might add. My point is that, at a high pricing point, the population would have to increase significantly in order to yield sufficient customers to sell out larger venues which used to sell out regularly at a lower pricing point.

Reactions: 1977 Cat
Very small. One has to sit like they are in a Barber Shop Quartet with their shoulders parallel to the field. Been to UT many times over the years.

The best part of going to a UT game was the BBQ sponsored by the Knoxville Gamecock Club. The Knoxville Gamecock Club hasn't sponsored the BBQ in a few years. But it was fantastic.

That BBQ was good. I only went once, but I liked it. And I've sat in six different sections at Neyland, including one of the club sections for the 2013 UGA game, and they were all cramped.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I enjoyed going to Lexington. I enjoyed going to Knoxville also. It was a great trip, even if the stadium was junk. They spent millions over several years on that stadium not long ago. Has anyone been lately? Is it still decrepit? Did they improve it any?

I think most of the improvements were in the higher booster areas. The last time I was there was in 2013.

Reactions: king ward
Everyone is in search of the illusive "Game Day Experience" that is going to loosen the fans from their money. Games were events years ago when there was little else going on and USC was the gem of the Capital City. Those once marketable qualities are less important now; status is conferred not by just being there, but where you are in the stadium. It was a nice ride being big shot season ticket holders for regular folks like me for forty years. Those days are gone.
But man, was it fun!!!!!!

I have said many times they need to get rid of the bottom 3-4 rows of the end zone, which are terrible seats, to extend the field area behind the end line. It’s embarrassing that our hedges and rail are just a step behind the end line. It limits the types of pass patterns you can throw, and we risk seriously injuring a wideout.

I mention this because of the discussion on decreasing seating.

Reactions: Bad seed
I have said many times they need to get rid of the bottom 3-4 rows of the end zone, which are terrible seats, to extend the field area behind the end line. It’s embarrassing that our hedges and rail are just a step behind the end line. It limits the types of pass patterns you can throw, and we risk seriously injuring a wideout.

I mention this because of the discussion on decreasing seating.
You could add this discussion to the thread about our chances this year where they are discussing the Citadel game in 1984. They had a big receiver who was terrorizing us who got terrorized by that rail if I remember correctly.

Extremely poor timing for us in hoops. We built a massive space that we have no way of filling for mens hoops outside of 1/2 games per year.

It’s true. It’s not USC’s fault as they couldn’t have foreseen the trend, but man they got stuck on the wrong side of it. Now they have to sit on this huge place for the next two decades at least.

I went to a Georgia Tech basketball game last season and their arena is small, and completely decked out. They sell out and the fan experience is awesome. Wide concourses, lots of concessions and bathrooms, lots of technology throughout, the aesthetics are great and every seat is a great one. Too bad I was watching Tech.

UNC chairbacked the entire stadium. Dropped it by about 8,000 if I’m not mistaken.
That would be so sweet to do that to WB. If they want more seating in the future they can always close in the other end zone with a second deck.

LOL, population has absolutely nothing to do with it. Price the tickets at $10 and every game would be sold out, always. The problem is overpricing with the pro style plans, if you want a full stadium. Obviously, the university cares more about profit than fans. It was a family affair, once. Now becoming a rich man's event with ever increasing seat license, tickets, and more. The average Joe and Jill are being priced out. Has nothing to do with population.
Not to mention lack of enough organized parking lots that provide a great pre game experience that a regular person can afford. Last time there we paid $50.00 to park behind an industrial building next to a dumpster with the fly's also tailgating. I haven't been able to get my wife back to a game since. It was such a mess.

I have said many times they need to get rid of the bottom 3-4 rows of the end zone, which are terrible seats...
The same holds true for the bottom three or four rows on both the East sideline and the South sideline. Only the West sideline has anything resembling decent seats on the bottom rows.

I went last season and it looked like I was walking into a mental hospital with all the windows on the outside and then the barbed wire on the turnstiles. It was pretty much trash IMO. Luckily we had seat backs on the end of the isle and that kept us from being squished by hillbillies.

The experience was pretty cool though and I may go back next year and stay in Gatlinburg again.

I went last season and it looked like I was walking into a mental hospital with all the windows on the outside and then the barbed wire on the turnstiles. It was pretty much trash IMO. Luckily we had seat backs on the end of the isle and that kept us from being squished by hillbillies.

The experience was pretty cool though and I may go back next year and stay in Gatlinburg again.
Your last sentence bespeaks what makes this an outstanding trip.

It’s true. It’s not USC’s fault as they couldn’t have foreseen the trend, but man they got stuck on the wrong side of it. Now they have to sit on this huge place for the next two decades at least.

I went to a Georgia Tech basketball game last season and their arena is small, and completely decked out. They sell out and the fan experience is awesome. Wide concourses, lots of concessions and bathrooms, lots of technology throughout, the aesthetics are great and every seat is a great one. Too bad I was watching Tech.
I have felt since day one of colonial life arena the old Carolina coliseum was a much better place. Didn’t see any reason to move

Not to mention lack of enough organized parking lots that provide a great pre game experience that a regular person can afford. Last time there we paid $50.00 to park behind an industrial building next to a dumpster with the fly's also tailgating. I haven't been able to get my wife back to a game since. It was such a mess.

You should have rented from me at Carolina Walk Park...

$10 per ticket? You’re obviously not a graduate of the Business School. If you were, you would have learned the Cost-Volume-Profit technique of Breakeven analysis.

$10 per ticket? You’re obviously not a graduate of the Business School. If you were, you would have learned the Cost-Volume-Profit technique of Breakeven analysis.
A point towards having a sellout every week, if desired. It was suggested our population was (at over five million) insufficient for filling the stadium. The point wasn't about financial viability at $10, but getting seats filled with lower pricing. But prices are squeezing out the average person, from attending, for a state university. Pricing should be accordingly lowered, if underselling. And only the nosebleed sections would be necessary, at this moment.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
That BBQ was good. I only went once, but I liked it. And I've sat in six different sections at Neyland, including one of the club sections for the 2013 UGA game, and they were all cramped.

Even in the Club section?

Last edited:
Winning takes care of that.
I think WBB has proved winning dramatically increases attendance. Nobody could have told me in 2008 that a new coach would change the program and women’s basketball would average over 10000 fans a game, and sell out multiple times a year

Getting bigger is no longer the objective. We will start seeing stadiums shrink but add more amenities. This will not be something specific to SC.
I completely agree. Very few teams fill up their stadiums any longer. I'm for going with less seats and making it nicer.

The next step isfwe have to upgrade the seating in the lower bowl atleast like NFL stadiums where you have individual seats. We will lose capacity #s again for this upgrade and ticket cost will rise but this is a must in the next upgrade. Todays game is not about the max capacity like UT, TAMU and MICH use to fight over, its all about fan experience which is why you dont see NFL stadiums at 80k. Of course if we cant put a product on the field that wins, then this backfires. But the upgrades Tanner and the board have approved are huge!

The same holds true for the bottom three or four rows on both the East sideline and the South sideline. Only the West sideline has anything resembling decent seats on the bottom rows.

I think the next major project that needs to be a completed is a complete re-build of the lower bowl on the north, south and east sides to match the west stands. This should have been done years ago when the original east upper deck was built. This should include installing chair back seats in the entire lower bowl of the stadium and new restrooms/concessions.

A point towards having a sellout every week, if desired. It was suggested our population was (at over five million) insufficient for filling the stadium. The point wasn't about financial viability at $10, but getting seats filled with lower pricing. But prices are squeezing out the average person, from attending, for a state university. Pricing should be accordingly lowered, if underselling. And only the nosebleed sections would be necessary, at this moment.

You do realize that fans attend games at WB from states other than SC, right?

I think the next major project that needs to be a completed is a complete re-build of the lower bowl on the north, south and east sides to match the west stands. This should have been done years ago when the original east upper deck was built. This should include installing chair back seats in the entire lower bowl of the stadium and new restrooms/concessions.

I haven't been in or under the east stands since maybe 2012 or 2013, but that whole area was an embarrassment.

ADVERTISEMENT