ADVERTISEMENT

WLOS TV in Asheville has gotten as bad as any news station in SC relative

After just visiting Asheville for the first time in years, what's playing on the sports news channel is the least of your worries!!! Haha. When did they just switch and become a mini San Francisco? Did all the weird people from the southeast move there over the years?
I'm wondering the same thing. And you dubbed it right when you called Asheville a mini San Francisco.

I think so. Like I said above. They're the weirdest I've ever seen. Especially the people in charge of running the city. It's a shame that such a beautiful city has become what it is.
Well, I have never considered it a beautiful city, the surrounding area is beautiful.

Reactions: importcock
Saw a tee shirt at Asheville that said “ Asheville, where weird is normal” It has become a Haven for the bohemian lifestyle. Old hippies, flower children, the LGBTQ crowd, artists and any other bastion of the left have found a home and many like minded people there . Beautiful area but very weird WLOS is just playing to their audience The Socon schools don’t generate much interest unless you went there much larger Tater audience
Yeah, but covering them everyday??? UT use to get a lot of coverage and I had actually rather see the viles get the coverage rather than quempsum.

Cheer up, Freddie. When we start winning, we will get their attention. Call me crazy, BUT, I just have a good feeling that Shane Beamer will make Carolina into a great national power. I'm figuring I've got a good 20 years left. I believe Beamer will make up, and then some, for the bad years we have had in the past 50. And I was not among those wanting to hire him.
Boy, do I hope you are correct. I've got about 15 years left, well maybe, 15 more years would be a stretch for me but I am going to do everything possible to make it happen. LOL! And even more than 15 years, one has to be positive.

Reactions: sgacock
Asheville does make lists of best places to retire to. Don't know enough about it to say why. I know that North Carolina's highways and areas around them look and feel considerably better than South Carolina's. I don't know if they get more tax revenue or simply do a better job of making use of their money into arts, culture, public infrastructure, etc. But, they definitely seem to be doing something right in the Tar Heel state.
NC gets a lot more tax revenue than SC.

Well, I just watched WLOS today and they had another segment on quempsum. It's everyday with no mention of any NC college teams.

to covering the taters. There is something on WLOS everyday about tater football. They rarely cover WCU football, occasionally WLOS will have a blur about the Catamounts, but not often. Sometimes they will have something about UNC football but they never even mention NCSU football. WLOS has become a full time media outlet for quempsum. Tonight, they talked about the TE position for Clemson they have even started covering non-important aspects of the quempsum football team.

I'll tell everyone this, quempsum media department has done an outstanding job of getting coverage for the taters. We need to emulate their model.
Oooohhhhh. You just mean sports.

Freddie, as you know I lived in AVL for 15 years WLOS was worthless all the way around.. I watched the Spartanburg channel 7...just turned it off when Yannity came on.

WLOS was covering volleyball at Catawba high school.

Charleston has a very artsy liberal population....very similar to Asheville....and has been that way at least since the beginning of the Spoleto Arts Festival. And since Spoleto began it has drawn more and more individuals of similar background and beliefs. There is just not as much difference between Charleston and Asheville as you would like to believe.

Savannah is quickly becoming another arts haven....if they aren't already.
Charleston as in just that small peninsula from Calhoun St to the battery. The other 99.999999999% of the low country is nothing like that. Mt P is artsy, but it's the rich spoiled people artsy. Not the hippie liberal style.

Charleston as in just that small peninsula from Calhoun St to the battery. The other 99.999999999% of the low country is nothing like that. Mt P is artsy, but it's the rich spoiled people artsy. Not the hippie liberal style.
If you don't believe Asheville and Black Mountain are rich people artsy....you haven't spent enough time there in a long time. I am serious when I say there is not much difference between Charleston and Asheville, just like there is little difference between Black Mountain and HHI.

As a native, I approve of this post.

If you don't believe Asheville and Black Mountain are rich people artsy....you haven't spent enough time there in a long time. I am serious when I say there is not much difference between Charleston and Asheville, just like there is little difference between Black Mountain and HHI.
Rogue,

You know I love you, but absolutely not.

I am from Charleston. I also live15 years in Asheville. Been back in Charleston for 3 years. Apples and Bicycles.

One example. In Asheville if you have money you pretend you don’t. In Charleston you buy a bigger boat.

I was a teenager in the 90s and worked downtown Charleston. It’s was crunchy. I moved to Asheville in 2003 and it reminded me of the 90s peninsula. Circa 2009, Asheville went from crunchy to Antifa in terms of what was cool.

Asheville is far closer to Portland and Charleston far closer to Boston.

Your point about money, particularly outside money is spot on though.

Gosh, some of you people don't get out very much...Asheville is in no way a mini San Francisco..I've been to San Francisco and the closest vibe I get to the bay area on the East coast, is downtown St. Petersburg, FL...for the LGBTQ folks and artists, it's heaven....

About being weird, there are lots of cities that use that slogan; Portland, OR, Boulder CO, Capitol Hill in both Denver and Seattle, Austin TX.....Boston and Minneapolis both have artsy vibes but I've never seen the slogan used there....

Artsy and Gay go hand in hand...they co-exist!!!!

Reactions: rogue cock
Rogue,

You know I love you, but absolutely not.

I am from Charleston. I also live15 years in Asheville. Been back in Charleston for 3 years. Apples and Bicycles.

One example. In Asheville if you have money you pretend you don’t. In Charleston you buy a bigger boat.

I was a teenager in the 90s and worked downtown Charleston. It’s was crunchy. I moved to Asheville in 2003 and it reminded me of the 90s peninsula. Circa 2009, Asheville went from crunchy to Antifa in terms of what was cool.

Asheville is far closer to Portland and Charleston far closer to Boston.

Your point about money, particularly outside money is spot on though.
You could be right in comparing them to outside cities. I still see Charleston and Asheville, as well as Black Mountain and HHI/Bluffton, as more crunchy than anything else. All still have a segment against that artsiness, but the arts and all surrounding it is a very strong influence. Savannah is quickly becoming the same way, if not moreso....with the exception of the outskirt areas of Savannah such as Pooler, etc.

Well, I just watched WLOS today and they had another segment on quempsum. It's everyday with no mention of any NC college teams.
When UT was winning in football, they covered UT sports...I'm talking about the Phil Fulmer era. Clemson took UT's place as the big dog in the region when UT started to die a slow death...It should've been us BUT we know how that worked out...

Back in the day, UT was BIG in WNC.....Clemson is now king in WNC...

Reactions: rogue cock
Gosh, some of you people don't get out very much...Asheville is in no way a mini San Francisco..I've been to San Francisco and the closest vibe I get to the bay area on the East coast, is downtown St. Petersburg, FL...for the LGBTQ folks and artists, it's heaven....

About being weird, there are lots of cities that use that slogan; Portland, OR, Boulder CO, Capitol Hill in both Denver and Seattle, Austin TX.....Boston and Minneapolis both have artsy vibes but I've never seen the slogan used there....

Key West is pretty out there....fun as hell, but definitely interesting.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I quit watching ch 13 when they went to Tryon and did a story on a lady that said she didn't feel safe because people still had Trump signs in their yards. Hell! Your in the south, they probably still have Christmas lights up to! Next I was expecting a story about a black cat crossing the road!

Well I did live in Asheville for 15 years and traveled to SF roughly 25-30 times for business and I disagree

how much time have you spent in either city?

Reactions: TAV31
You could be right in comparing them to outside cities. I still see Charleston and Asheville, as well as Black Mountain and HHI/Bluffton, as more crunchy than anything else. All still have a segment against that artsiness, but the arts and all surrounding it is a very strong influence. Savannah is quickly becoming the same way, if not moreso....with the exception of the outskirt areas of Savannah such as Pooler, etc.
Live in both for a few years. I promise you will reconsider.

When UT was winning in football, they covered UT sports...I'm talking about the Phil Fulmer era. Clemson took UT's place as the big dog in the region when UT started to die a slow death...It should've been us BUT we know how that worked out...

Back in the day, UT was BIG in WNC.....Clemson is now king in WNC...
True statement. When I first moved there local sports talk radio were UT during football season and Chapel Hill during basketball season.

I also think Asheville has one of the highest per capita populations of homeless people. You can't swing a dead cat on Tunnel Road without hitting two or three. It's like they attract them. They buy or rent whole motels to let them live in rent free. I think a better plan would be to help them find employment and improve their situation.
This is true.

I'm pretty sure their sister station is in Anderson. Owned by Sinclair, I think Sinclair owns all or half of WLOS.
My40 is Wlos sister station and they carry upstate South Carolina high school games on Friday night.Spartanburg vs Gaffney Friday night a 7 pm

Last edited:
Did not know that. Learn something everyday.
I looked at the schedule this year and they have changed to all NC games except Sept 10 Belton Honea Path vs TL Hanna and Oct 8 Gaffney at Dorman and like I said Friday night August 20 Spartanburg vs Gaffney

I looked at the schedule this year and they have changed to all NC games except Sept 10 Belton Honea Path vs TL Hanna and Oct 8 Gaffney at Dorman and like I said Friday night August 20 Spartanburg vs Gaffney
Thanks for the information.

to covering the taters. There is something on WLOS everyday about tater football. They rarely cover WCU football, occasionally WLOS will have a blur about the Catamounts, but not often. Sometimes they will have something about UNC football but they never even mention NCSU football. WLOS has become a full time media outlet for quempsum. Tonight, they talked about the TE position for Clemson they have even started covering non-important aspects of the quempsum football team.

I'll tell everyone this, quempsum media department has done an outstanding job of getting coverage for the taters. We need to emulate their model.

In all fairness, WLOS is the ABC affiliate that covers the upstate of SC. So when competing with WSPA and WYFF, which they have always trailed anyway, they almost have to cover them to be relevant. Why would they put a lot of emphasis on WCU? Just because it is close? It is a horrible program in 1AA that not even the folks in that part of NC care about.

In all fairness, WLOS is the ABC affiliate that covers the upstate of SC. So when competing with WSPA and WYFF, which they have always trailed anyway, they almost have to cover them to be relevant. Why would they put a lot of emphasis on WCU? Just because it is close? It is a horrible program in 1AA that not even the folks in that part of NC care about.
All I'm saying is WLOS has just started covering Clemson a lot recently. They use to not even mention their name but now they have something everyday about the taters.

Oooohhhhh. You just mean sports.

Freddie, as you know I lived in AVL for 15 years WLOS was worthless all the way around.. I watched the Spartanburg channel 7...just turned it off when Yannity came on.

WLOS was covering volleyball at Catawba high school.
I prefer Greenville or Spartanburg or Greenville but my wife like WLOS for the weather and they do cover Marion for local stories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT