ADVERTISEMENT

Woody Hayes was such a boss

Um, do you actually know anything about Woody Hayes? He has a long, well-documented history of attacking sports writers, photographers, university officials, and several others. The guy was a completely unhinged maniac.
Cancel culture at it's best. Everybody is reduced to one or two indiscretions or qualities and their life and history destroyed. They were already getting tired of Woody, you are right about that. But you boomerang off the OP and go overboard in the other direction. The OP, in his lack of accuracy and bravado, hits on an interesting point. Who was Woody Hayes? Just a monster, or much more?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2016/12/23/woody-hayes-punch-clemson-ohio-state

Wasn’t the first time either. He was a head case.
Woody Hayes was well past his prime when this incident occurred. Sure he should not have done it, but it was really not like the player was going to get hurt, all suited up with the old guy attacking.

Lou Holtz was an assistant for Woody Hayes and was quite complementary of Woody's intelligence and coaching style. Struggling coaches could well read up on Woody Hayes and other legendary coaches and their techniques. I doubt Hayes winning style can be taught, however. Some have it, some do not.

Reactions: rogue cock
Committing assault
Danny Ford was old school also....and had a bit of a temper, which one or more of his players had the benefit of experiencing. If you went to Clemson, you probably heard the stories. USC had a couple of coaches who did also. Woody, Bear, etc... were tyrants on the field....couldn't get by with a lot of what they did....or Ford did....today.

Danny Ford was old school also....and had a bit of a temper, which one or more of his players had the benefit of experiencing. If you went to Clemson, you probably heard the stories. USC had a couple of coaches who did also. Woody, Bear, etc... were tyrants on the field....couldn't get by with a lot of what they did....or Ford did....today.
Ohh I remember, good times!

Reactions: Tall Squirrel
You are the only person on the planet, outside Columbus, OH, to defend Woody Hayes on this.
Even a lot of TOSU fans don't defend that incident any longer. They still love and respect him (for damned good reasons)...they also respect a lot of the old line coaches like Bo (TOSU alumnus), Bear, Joe Pa, etc... Honestly, it's kind of hard not to....despite some of their personal failures.

Reactions: FJRTiger
Nice try taters. Coach Hayes was an American hero. One who, while at the same age your current coach was sleeping with his own mother, was out there winning a war. Hot head? I didn't see Coach Hayes having policemen fired for doing their duty unlike your hick coach.
Bravo. Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 8 of 8.

And you are correct Sir. I was born in 71 so I can remember

The only people that Woody ever "Attacked" were the hundreds of Japs he killed in the Pacific theater when he was the same age as the Clemson redneck that cursed him out.
Most of those Rednecks fought in the war, and I would take any of em, including the cocks, against a Yankee!!!
Now remember, most of us Charleston people draw the line at Summerville on a Yankee

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Even a lot of TOSU fans don't defend that incident any longer. They still love and respect him (for damned good reasons)...they also respect a lot of the old line coaches like Bo (TOSU alumnus), Bear, Joe Pa, etc... Honestly, it's kind of hard not to....despite some of their personal failures.
Really? Respect Joe P??????
I assume that our morals are different

Really? Respect Joe P??????
I assume that our morals are different
His coaching legacy. Yes, he had personal failures....he made very poor decisions in trying to protect a life-long friend....and that does tarnish his legacy, but he was still one helluva coach. And, no, our morals aren't different when it comes to that....don't believe he should be honored in any manner at PSU regardless of his coaching success.

His coaching legacy. Yes, he had personal failures....he made very poor decisions in trying to protect a life-long friend....and that does tarnish his legacy, but he was still one helluva coach. And, no, our morals aren't different when it comes to that....don't believe he should be honored in any manner at PSU regardless of his coaching success.
You speak wise

Ol' Rogue Tater loves him some Danny Ford. News at 11.
Actually, I do like him. Had a few beers with him one time. Interesting guy. BTW, we had several large boosters who were trying to get the administration to hire him to coach the Gamecocks after he got fired from Clemson. Also knew Coach Carlen very well....great guy, very intense.

Reactions: MtPleasantTater
It was another time.
And Hayes was a leader of men.

“When. . .Kent State happened. . .we had 5,000 National Guardsmen on the Ohio State campus. . .The only administrator that I saw during that whole time of all the unrest and broken windows and tear gas, whatever, that got the students to listen, was Woody walking on the oval,” remembers Rex Kern.

Cancel culture at it's best. Everybody is reduced to one or two indiscretions or qualities and their life and history destroyed. They were already getting tired of Woody, you are right about that. But you boomerang off the OP and go overboard in the other direction. The OP, in his lack of accuracy and bravado, hits on an interesting point. Who was Woody Hayes? Just a monster, or much more?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2016/12/23/woody-hayes-punch-clemson-ohio-state
This is hardly an example of taking one or two indiscretions and using them to brush over a person's entire life. Just by doing some quick research, I found no less than 7 well-documented assaults by Woody Hayes. He was not a great man who had anger issues. He was a raging lunatic who did some nice things in his spare time.

This is hardly an example of taking one or two indiscretions and using them to brush over a person's entire life. Just by doing some quick research, I found no less than 7 well-documented assaults by Woody Hayes. He was not a great man who had anger issues. He was a raging lunatic who did some nice things in his spare time.
He did more than a few nice things. Clearly, he had his demons. Doesn't everybody? Cast the the first stone.

He did more than a few nice things. Clearly, he had his demons. Doesn't everybody? Cast the the first stone.
Considering I've never physically attacked anyone just because I lost my temper, which Hayes did on many, many occasions...yeah, I'll toss some rocks. If he hadn't been worshiped as a football coach, he'd have been known by a different title. Convicted Felon.

Reactions: PalmettoNative
Considering I've never physically attacked anyone just because I lost my temper, which Hayes did on many, many occasions...yeah, I'll toss some rocks. If he hadn't been worshiped as a football coach, he'd have been known by a different title. Convicted Felon.
Doubtful. Hayes probably would have remained in the Navy (he was a Lt. Commander when he left) or probably would have taught school. He was known for paying for several poor kids' education at Ohio State over the years, he endowed at least two scholarships there and he established and endowed a chair on Foreign Policy. After his firing, he continued to teach classes at Ohio State and all the money he gave to the school over the years was to the academic side, not the athletic side. Despite the upheaval on campuses that was occurring all over the country during part of his time there, he still held the respect of the students. Although he was an establishment Republican and conservative, he defending the students' 1st Amendment right to protest and even led them on occasion often speaking to them to protest in peace and they would listen. He was far from a saint, but he was a good man despite certain incidents that tarnish his career a bit.

It’s not counter culture. I think that’s reaching. It’s a response to the original question and at no time was it suggested Hayes be forgotten. His coaching career wasn’t being discussed but his act in the peach bowl against Clemson. The Clemson player didn’t curse him or have it coming, This is a singular event. Woody was on the edge and he’s in no way forgotten or is anyone forgetting. Had it been a threaded on Woods Hayes career then your argument would have some merit.

Sorry. I'm a Gamecock fan but that is not the way it happened. Woody went ballistic immediately.
The boy was mouthing off when he came across the Ohio State sideline with the football. It's obvious from the video. Hayes didn't do what he did just because the boy intercepted the football. That said, Hayes overreacted in an unprofessional way, but there was more provocation than simply the interception of the football and the loss of the game. Now that I think about it, wasn't that gambler quarterbacking for Ohio State? Correct me if I'm incorrect. He might have thrown the ball to UPC on purpose. Hayes might have slugged the wrong man.

You're calling me a tater because I called him a "hot head"? LOL. I love Coach Hayes, have read his book "Fire to Win" and am amazed that he gave his entire estate to TOSU at his death. Also admire the fact that he refused to resign after the game and made them fire him....he didn't want to quit on his players or the school he loved. But that "Fire" he had did explode on occasion. BTW, I received a graduate degree from TOSU and pull for them when they don't play TUSC.

I hate Ohio State Buckeyes (so much to the degree I'd almost root for Clemson to beat them, if it weren't Clemson) but think Hayes is one of the legendary icons of college football who in my opinion deserves a statue on the USC campus for whacking on that Clemson player.

More coaches should beat on Clemson players. Hell, they're all juiced up on PEDs and wearing pads and coaches are usually fat and old and wandering around in sweats or sweaters or something.

The boy was mouthing off when he came across the Ohio State sideline with the football. It's obvious from the video. Hayes didn't do what he did just because the boy intercepted the football. That said, Hayes overreacted in an unprofessional way, but there was more provocation than simply the interception of the football and the loss of the game. Now that I think about it, wasn't that gambler quarterbacking for Ohio State? Correct me if I'm incorrect. He might have thrown the ball to UPC on purpose. Hayes might have slugged the wrong man.
Art Schlichter. And your theory about him throwing the game has been mentioned many a time in Columbus.

Ohio State fans tried to get rid of him after his first few years. Idiots
Yep. He was about as popular a hire with the fans as Muschamp was here....if not worse. There were several successful coaches with Ohio State ties that were more popular candidates. And then he struggled to win his first several seasons.

Threw it right to the guy and he was either a LB or DL. Very suspicious, given all the circumstances.
Agree. I was at the game and no one in the stands knew what happened other than there was an unsportsmanlike penalty. Didn't find out until the next morning.

And agree, DL dropped back into coverage and he threw the ball right to him and had a receiver open.

It’s not counter culture. I think that’s reaching. It’s a response to the original question and at no time was it suggested Hayes be forgotten. His coaching career wasn’t being discussed but his act in the peach bowl against Clemson. The Clemson player didn’t curse him or have it coming, This is a singular event. Woody was on the edge and he’s in no way forgotten or is anyone forgetting. Had it been a threaded on Woods Hayes career then your argument would have some merit.
"He was a raging lunatic who did some nice things in his spare time." That was Snow's comment. Yep, that's just a little overrought and seems to comment on his whole life. That is how people get canceled.

What about all the ones who also didn’t put up with crap and lost? It’s possible to win games and not be unhinged. Tom Landry comes to mind.
He had a not so secret lesson, as he noted..."As a Christian, I know my life is in God's hands," Landry said then. "He has a plan for me. Therefore, I never worry about tomorrow or never worry about winning or losing football games. That knowledge gives me a lot of composure in tough situations."

Woody Hayes was well past his prime when this incident occurred. Sure he should not have done it, but it was really not like the player was going to get hurt, all suited up with the old guy attacking.

Lou Holtz was an assistant for Woody Hayes and was quite complementary of Woody's intelligence and coaching style. Struggling coaches could well read up on Woody Hayes and other legendary coaches and their techniques. I doubt Hayes winning style can be taught, however. Some have it, some do not.
Hayes was one of the greats. His legacy doesn't need restoration by anyone.

Arguing over a play that occurred in 1978. Come on.
And, even if the Clemson player was mouthing off, so what. A grown man being goaded by a kid who is what, 21 years at most. Pitiful.

I love Woody Hayes!! He did what I would "like" to do anytime I see a Clempson player make a good play. But I would never do that.

ADVERTISEMENT