ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup - Qatar

Neanderthal

Aug 15, 2001
Anybody keeping up with the human rights violations, the reported 1200 workers who have died, the $10 billion dollars spent on stadiums, and other happenings in Qatar’s preparation for the World Cup?

Wonder what they’ll use those stadiums for once the event is over?

I Never wanted it to be In Qatar and preferred Norway/Sweden or Austria/Switzerland to co-host the 2022 World cup, but i doubt if those four countries even put in a bid to host. It is too much hot in Qatar that they moved the games from June/July to November/December which may cause difficulties with the Europeans fussball leagues and the Champions League.

FC Bayern and Bayern Board of Directors fot into a shouting match over the Qatar Airways sponsorship(see link below)

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/11/26/bayern-munich-agm-qatar-sponsorshi

I think Qatar constructed one of the stadiums partially with shipping containers so when the World Cup is over they can dismantle the stadium.

1611681042_772868_1611681554_noticia_normal.jpg

Did they ever fix the temperature problem? I heard a long while back that in the desert heat they couldn’t get the playing surface temp low enough - so they were considering three periods over two halfs for all the matches so the players could get an extra cool off period.

Did they ever fix the temperature problem? I heard a long while back that in the desert heat they couldn’t get the playing surface temp low enough - so they were considering three periods over two halfs for all the matches so the players could get an extra cool off period.
Not sure about that one, but it will be warm but not smoking hot in November/December. I was in Qatar eight years ago, and in June during the middle of the day it feels like there is a blow dryer in your face.

Ongoing, I think you will see all World Cups hosted by multiple nations. There are only a handful of countries that could legitimately host a 48 team tournament by itself.

The picture of that stadium is a wild thing. If they spent $10 billion on stadiums those containers must be high priced.

I believe it was an ignorant move to take the tournament over there.

The picture of that stadium is a wild thing. If they spent $10 billion on stadiums those containers must be high priced.

I believe it was an ignorant move to take the tournament over there.
More information on the shipping container stadium. It is called 974 stadium.

Wonder how many of these container stadiums Qatar built?
In November, the temperatures over there seem to trend in the 70s and 80s. That’s warm, but tolerable for players.

So the other stadiums are permanent structures?
Not sure about that. It is a country that can afford it. I think if you look back at past Olympics, several facilities were left abandoned to deteriorate away. They may have plans for them, but I am not aware of it.

Anybody keeping up with the human rights violations, the reported 1200 workers who have died, the $10 billion dollars spent on stadiums, and other happenings in Qatar’s preparation for the World Cup?

Wonder what they’ll use those stadiums for once the event is over?
Up it to $220 billion and 6500 deaths.

Another big upset with Japan beating Germany. Germany in danger of not making it out of the group stage for the second time in a row.

Another upset as Tunisia beats France. I still think France will win the World Cup.
Could you please explain to me, with my limited soccer knowledge, why the goalie doesn’t pick the ball up almost every time instead of kicking it downfield. Seems he could take the time to see the best place to kick it if he picked it up and surveyed the field. TIA

Could you please explain to me, with my limited soccer knowledge, why the goalie doesn’t pick the ball up almost every time instead of kicking it downfield. Seems he could take the time to see the best place to kick it if he picked it up and surveyed the field. TIA
Not sure. What I do know is that if a goalie teammate kicks or passes the ball to the goalie, then the goalie can not touch the ball which happens a lot in a match.

In the video below Ulreich forgets that he can not touch the ball and let the ball go through that resulted in a terrible blunder that knocked Bayern out of the Champions League a few seasons ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: hillstosea
Not sure. What I do know is that if a goalie teammate kicks or passes the ball to the goalie, then the goalie can not touch the ball which happens a lot in a match.

In the video below Ulreich forgets that he can not touch the ball and let the ball go through that resulted in a terrible blunder that knocked Bayern out of the Champions League a few seasons ago.
I live and learn

Morocco wins in PSO against Spain. Spain did not score a goal in the PSO 😁. The AFC has a team in the quarterfinals.

spain-fans-euro-2016_3491463.jpg

Last edited:
I think any of the 8 left could win it with Croatia, Argentina and Morocco being long shots. But I wouldn’t dare put any money down. Too close to call. Well, maybe Brazil - they are deep and confident.

I think any of the 8 left could win it with Croatia, Argentina and Morocco being long shots. But I wouldn’t dare put any money down. Too close to call. Well, maybe Brazil - they are deep and confident.
The 3 long shots are still in there.

I'm rooting for Messi in this one (which means Argentina by default). He's probably the greatest of all-time and he gets so much flack for his team not winning a World Cup. Team being the key word there. One guy can only do so much on a soccer pitch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT