ADVERTISEMENT

Worst P5 deep ball passers

I'm not sure what the point of posting this is. Did the OP just want to get a crack in on a young QB who played a big chunk of the season hurt? It sure seems that way to me.
Not at all...just wanted to show that he was in the league with Mond and Fromm, even with the injuries.

I wonder how many of those deep balls he threw were dropped? I can think of a handful off the top of my head... Our WRs were awful this year- injuries hurt us there but overall it was hard to watch outside of BE. Good thing we retained that position coach! SMH...

Reactions: GarnetBlood80
We threw the deep ball this season?
im pretty sure we threw it often and successfully last year with jake and im pretty sure the ones completed this year were when ryan was healthy...a smart man would understand what caused our difficulties this year and it really had little to do with the oc or champ

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
im pretty sure we threw it often and successfully last year with jake and im pretty sure the ones completed this year were when ryan was healthy...a smart man would understand what caused our difficulties this year and it really had little to do with the oc or champ
So you’re saying the problem was an injured QB and not the guys who decided to keep putting him out there despite being ineffective?

For those asking if we actually threw the deep ball, Hilinski had more passing attempts of 20+ yards than all but three SEC quarterbacks (Tua, Fromm, Nix). Ryan completed 7 out of 38 of those attempts for a completion percentage of 18.42%

http://secstatcat.com/sec/passer-stats
If the receivers catch all that they are supposed to, he's not on this list..... Even though he was hurt and getting mutilated every time he dropped back

Weird how all of those things about the receivers and oline apparently affected Hillinski but the guy before him just couldn’t throw the ball.
I dont think too many people have said that. After Jake floundered ,then Ryan did too, it became apparent that the surrounding talent and coaching just aren't there. My biggest problem has always been that the coaches wouldn't pull Bentley until he physically couldn't do it any more, no matter how he was obviously inside his own head.

Reactions: Surfside Gamecock
For those asking if we actually threw the deep ball, Hilinski had more passing attempts of 20+ yards than all but three SEC quarterbacks (Tua, Fromm, Nix). Ryan completed 7 out of 38 of those attempts for a completion percentage of 18.42%

http://secstatcat.com/sec/passer-stats

Interesting that Burrow didnt have many deep passes. Certainly helps the completion percentage when you dont throw deep.

Edit, just looked at your link. It was Burrow, not Tua, that threw more deep balls. 33 for 58. That is impressive!

Interesting that Burrow didnt have many deep passes. Certainly helps the completion percentage when you dont throw deep.

Edit, just looked at your link. It was Burrow, not Tua, that threw more deep balls. 33 for 58. That is impressive!

Thanks for the correction. It is impressive.

a smart man would understand what caused our difficulties this year and it really had little to do with the oc or champ
LOL. Let me guess, you consider yourself to be a smart man?

If you are smart and think our playcalling this year was good you must also be blind and deaf

Last edited:
Ok, let’s look at it from a different perspective. Ryan is one tough dude! He gained experience this year that will make him a much better QB next year. The schedule was brutal and he had limited TO’s. So, he makes good decisions. He will make better and quicker decisions next year. He will also have Doty pushing him to be better. I also believe that Bobo will be a great fit for Ryan. He will bring a balanced attack that will take pressure off of our QB’s to make plays to win.

Where's the stat for fan excuses commensurate with the amount of losses (LER - loss/excuse ratio)?

Interviewer:"Coach M, seems injuries and drops have dogged your team again this season. Do you have any plans to address this during the off-season"?

WM: "We are going to be reevaluating that...spurs up!".

I understand why people are defensive of Ryan, but don’t use injury as an excuse. Everyone on here slams Dabo for playing Watson while hurt but crickets about playing Hilinski hurt. It wasn’t like he didn’t have a back-up that could go in. I’m not criticizing Hilinski, only the hypocritical replies.

Reactions: Flameout12
ADVERTISEMENT