ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rather ...

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
Tough things out with Martin, and take your chances that his temper will continue to hamper recruiting, and make the dance a big question mark every season ...

Or

Look forward to making the dance every year, and being ranked in the top 20, but have to put up with the coach’s live-wire loose-canon wife?

I like Martin and think he is a great coach, but I believe he has developed a reputation as going a bit psycho at times. Obviously I’m referring to Marshall in this question. Could he be successful here as he has been everywhere else? I don’t know, but WSU doesn’t seem to have a problem with his wife going a bit psycho given their success on the court.

So which would you rather or which could you live with easier?

Let the flames begin.

Tough things out with Martin, and take your chances that his temper will continue to hamper recruiting, and make the dance a big question mark every season ...

Or

Look forward to making the dance every year, and being ranked in the top 20, but have to put up with the coach’s live-wire loose-canon wife?

I like Martin and think he is a great coach, but I believe he has developed a reputation as going a bit psycho at times. Obviously I’m referring to Marshall in this question. Could he be successful here as he has been everywhere else? I don’t know, but WSU doesn’t seem to have a problem with his wife going a bit psycho given their success on the court.

Let the flames begin.
giphy.gif

Oh boy, here we go. When the job opening became available I would have loved to have gotten Marshall but he passed on us. Since then I have been happy with Martin and I'm not sure anyone could have come in and gotten us to where we've been. Martin is a really good coach who does more with less. Given the difficulties of recruiting basketball players to USC I think he is what we needed. Winning will bring more recruits but up until last season the general consensus was that you couldn't win at USC.

Or

Let the flames begin.

I would rather.......

WIN!!!

It’s not Martin’s personality. The problem is, you have to put in lots of work in Martin’s system. Some of these athletes aren’t willing to do it. It makes it hard to recruit, and hard to keep players in the program.

It’s not Martin’s personality. The problem is, you have to put in lots of work in Martin’s system. Some of these athletes aren’t willing to do it. It makes it hard to recruit, and hard to keep players in the program.
Frank II has publicly toned it down quite a bit in the last couple of years.

Or

Let the flames begin.

Your 2nd option isn't even viable, pal.

Reactions: funktavious
Your 2nd option isn't even viable, pal.

It’s as viable as any other option if you want a coach who has proven he can take a team to the dance every year, and succeed. It will just require a lot more money now than it would have when Frank was hired.

Martin went to the final 4. Am I on crazy pills here? You're grasping at straws trying to find something better than a guy getting South Carolina to the final 4?

Reactions: GandBinNC
Why? Because you (for whatever reason) don't like him....or are just pissed we missed on a coach that has been to the NCAA's 14 times in his career and 7 in a row at Wichita State (including making the Final Four)?
I think Marshall is a good coach but success at Winthrop and WSU doesn't necessarily mean success at USC. Dave Odom got WF into then NCAA tournament 7 years in a row at a time when the ACC was in its hay day. He came to USC and could only muster one NCAA appearance. In hindsight we probably should have offered him the job before he left Winthrop but at the time he was the big fish in a very small pond and most thought that he needed to find some success at a mid major before taking on a big school. Now that he is finding success at a mid major he is a much more attractive commodity but as you said, he is very well paid where he is at and his job is much easier there than it would be here.

Or

Let the flames begin.

Here we go again...really??

I think Marshall is a good coach but success at Winthrop and WSU doesn't necessarily mean success at USC. Dave Odom got WF into then NCAA tournament 7 years in a row at a time when the ACC was in its hay day. He came to USC and could only muster one NCAA appearance. In hindsight we probably should have offered him the job before he left Winthrop but at the time he was the big fish in a very small pond and most thought that he needed to find some success at a mid major before taking on a big school. Now that he is finding success at a mid major he is a much more attractive commodity but as you said, he is very well paid where he is at and his job is much easier there than it would be here.
I think Odom was a very good coach that we happened to hire at the tail end of his career. He didn't have the drive at that point to succeed in the manner we were hoping. Marshall reminds me of a young Coach K...very intense with a huge desire to succeed and a plan to do so. It is pretty darn obvious when you meet him and get to know him.

I think Odom was a very good coach that we happened to hire at the tail end of his career. He didn't have the drive at that point to succeed in the manner we were hoping. Marshall reminds me of a young Coach K...very intense with a huge desire to succeed and a plan to do so. It is pretty darn obvious when you meet him and get to know him.
I believe he is a very good coach but he's not our coach and probably never will be. Most fans here that bash him only do so because they get sick of hearing how great he would be if he was here when he's not coming. He had a chance but he asked for the moon and that wasn't going to happen. USC will always put more of its resources into football than it will basketball. Basketball is king at WS and its his castle. A dead horse is a dead horse and no matter how hard some of our fans beat on that dead horse, he's not getting up off the ground.

I believe he is a very good coach but he's not our coach and probably never will be. Most fans here that bash him only do so because they get sick of hearing how great he would be if he was here when he's not coming. He had a chance but he asked for the moon and that wasn't going to happen. USC will always put more of its resources into football than it will basketball. Basketball is king at WS and its his castle. A dead horse is a dead horse and no matter how hard some of our fans beat on that dead horse, he's not getting up off the ground.
Completely agree, that ship has sailed....although I also understand and appreciate why his name comes up often.

If he's already completely gray-headed when he comes, his horizons are limited.

Or

Let the flames begin.
and you should be flamed....wth makes you think gm could replicate that success here? you do know how many times we have been to final four, correct? you also know how many times we have been to the big dance? and you can write this with a straight face? i cannot tell you how many good reasons there are to never,ever bring his name up here again...it seriously blows my mind that people keep trying to get on this greg marshall bandwagon....the fact that we went to final four just last year for the first time ever and we have posts like this? im sorry man, but yes he is a good coach, and like most good coaches he does well at basketball schools....he would not be taking us to final four on a regular basis,maybe never....its not him, its us...sorry for being a butt about it but even you knew it was coming

Martin went to the final 4. Am I on crazy pills here? You're grasping at straws trying to find something better than a guy getting South Carolina to the final 4?
Rightfully, taking us to a Final Four earned Martin a significantly longer leash. But it's reasonable to look at his record here from a different angle: In six years, he has taken us to one NCAA tournament. What ever grace period Martin has earned, he earned it in four games. The other 199 games he's coached here have to count for something too.

We knew this was a rebuilding year, so I don't think anybody's seriously talking about replacing Martin. But if we're in the same situation and having this same conversation next year, Frank's Final Four run from two seasons prior won't be nearly the cloak of invincibility that it is now.

Carolina missed on Marshall in the early 2000’s when they hired Odom, much like they missed on a young Kryzewski (Army) or a young Cremins (App State) in 1980 when they hired Bill Foster away from Duke.

Kryzewski replaces Foster at Duke and (over time) becomes a legend. Cremins is eventually hired by Ga Tech and now has a court named after him.

We got Foster - the safe choice - a highly respected coach and a proven rebuilder of programs. He left Duke after guiding the resurrection of their program, highlighted by a championship game appearance in 1978. Carolina was his fourth head coaching stop - he was at the tail end of his career and (it became evident later), had health problems. He never made the NCAA and had one NIT appearance in six seasons.

Likewise, Odom was a proven winner and a safe choice. He had considerable success at Carolina, although mostly in the NIT. One NCAA tourney appearance with a first round loss, and three NIT appearances with a second place finish and two (consecutive) championships. But, like Foster, he could never duplicate the success of McGuire, and never won over the bulk of Gamecock fans.

All this to say that Carolina has rarely taken a chance on a young, up and coming coach (Horn being the unfortunate exception). Thus, a bright and driven young Winthrop coach, who could have had great success at Carolina, was never given the chance.

And that ship has long sailed, never to return.

Last edited:
Frank is our coach and should and will be for many more years. If he doesn't get the Miami job when Jim Llaranega retires, he will retire here.

Carolina missed on Marshall in the early 2000’s when they hired Odom, much like they missed on a young Kryzewski (Army) or a young Cremins (App State) in 1980 when they hired Bill Foster away from Duke.

Kryzewski replaces Foster at Duke and (over time) becomes a legend. Cremins is eventually hired by Ga Tech and now has a court named after him.

We got Foster - the safe choice - a highly respected coach and a proven rebuilder of programs. He left Duke after guiding the resurrection of their program, highlighted by a championship game appearance in 1978. Carolina was his fourth head coaching stop - he was at the tail end of his career and (it became evident later), had health problems. He never made the NCAA and had one NIT appearance in six seasons.

Likewise, Odom was a proven winner and a safe choice. He had considerable success at Carolina, although mostly in the NIT. One NCAA tourney appearance with a first round loss, and three NIT appearances with a second place finish and two (consecutive) championships. But, like Foster, he could never duplicate the success of McGuire, and never won over the bulk of Gamecock fans.

All this to say that Carolina has rarely taken a chance on a young, up and coming coach (Horn being the unfortunate exception). Thus, a bright and driven young Winthrop coach, who could have had great success at Carolina, was never given the chance.

And that ship has long sailed, never to return.
Very good analysis.

I would rather stick with Martin. I don't think Tanner would put up with Marshall's wife. Frank is stand up guy and plays by the rules. I really don't care for Marshall
Who would want Marshall over martin? He only goes to the tourney every year and Martin goes every 5. Smh

and you should be flamed....wth makes you think gm could replicate that success here? you do know how many times we have been to final four, correct? you also know how many times we have been to the big dance? and you can write this with a straight face? i cannot tell you how many good reasons there are to never,ever bring his name up here again...it seriously blows my mind that people keep trying to get on this greg marshall bandwagon....the fact that we went to final four just last year for the first time ever and we have posts like this? im sorry man, but yes he is a good coach, and like most good coaches he does well at basketball schools....he would not be taking us to final four on a regular basis,maybe never....its not him, its us...sorry for being a butt about it but even you knew it was coming
One tourney appearance in his 6 years. Yep he's a keeper..keep living off that final four because the way Martin recruits we may never make the tourney again lol

I presume you are predicting an uptick in performance. You must be.

You must be forgetting that we went to the Final Four last year. If you expect that every year at a school with average facilities, you're not being realistic.

You must be forgetting that we went to the Final Four last year. If you expect that every year at a school with average facilities, you're not being realistic.
I'm talking about an up-tick from this year and a soon return to the Dance. Do you predict that?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT