ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rather ...

Based on many FGF posts, it sounds like Martin does not win consistently because he is unable to recruit enough talented players who buy into his system. If that is correct, should Martin modify his system to fit available talent?

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Based on many FGF posts, it sounds like Martin does not win consistently because he is unable to recruit enough talented players who buy into his system. If that is correct, should Martin modify his system to fit available talent?

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95
If he did that, would he diminish as a coach? He can get better talent that plays tough defense. Just look at that fellow up at Virginia. Frank needs to cast a wider net and close more deals.

Reactions: rogue cock
If he did that, would he diminish as a coach? He can get better talent that plays tough defense. Just look at that fellow up at Virginia. Frank needs to cast a wider net and close more deals.
I would agree, but how do you do that when all the talent in the state grows up duke and UNC fans. Remember even Sindarias was a UNC fan growing up, but didn't get recruited by roy

I'm talking about an up-tick form this year and a soon return to the Dance. Do you predict that?
I think so. Even if we don't have Bowen available I think we can scrape up 20 wins with what we have coming back. I saw a lot of improvement from this team over the course of the season. If we get Bowen and he's everything we believe he is, we are in the top-4 of the conference and easily a tourney team.

and you should be flamed....wth makes you think gm could replicate that success here? you do know how many times we have been to final four, correct? you also know how many times we have been to the big dance? and you can write this with a straight face? i cannot tell you how many good reasons there are to never,ever bring his name up here again...it seriously blows my mind that people keep trying to get on this greg marshall bandwagon....the fact that we went to final four just last year for the first time ever and we have posts like this? im sorry man, but yes he is a good coach, and like most good coaches he does well at basketball schools....he would not be taking us to final four on a regular basis,maybe never....its not him, its us...sorry for being a butt about it but even you knew it was coming

“I should be flamed!” ... LOL ... :D ...

Relax Fatboy. ‘Would You Rather’ is just a game. My kids love to play it with me, and they pose all kinds of ridiculous scenarios. Some of you on here posted some great responses, but for the record, let me state ...

Martin is a great coach ... a great teacher ... but so far, not a good recruiter. I think his temperament (even the kinder/gentler one we see now) scares off recruits for one reason or another. When you constantly have to look for the diamond in the rough, you cannot build a program that’s gonna be an NCAA TOURNEY threat every year. CFM gets more out of his players than probably any other coach, but he’s gonna have to start landing some big time players who need less developing if he’s to build a contender every year.

The Greg Marshall ship has sailed. He’s 55 years old now. If he were to come to SC, he might have 5 years before people/recruits start to question even his age. He doesn’t have time to start all over again in a tougher job. If he had already won a N.C., and about 8-10 conference titles, his success would offset his aging, (like Spurrier did by coming to SC in football). so, I’m not advocating that we go after him.

I believe (as some on here have said) next year is a tipping point for USC basketball and CFM. He has to show that he can land some seriously talented recruits or it will be the beginning of the end of his tenure. I hope that is not the case, but we’ll see.

So now, I pose the question, who is that younger (under 50) coach out there that Tanner needs on his list of potential candidates to be the next HBBC at The USC?

Rightfully, taking us to a Final Four earned Martin a significantly longer leash. But it's reasonable to look at his record here from a different angle: In six years, he has taken us to one NCAA tournament. What ever grace period Martin has earned, he earned it in four games. The other 199 games he's coached here have to count for something too.

It's fair to judge a coach based on how often they've taken to the tournament, but it's important to look at it in context.

First of all, I don't think any fair minded person could have expected us to go to the NCAA tournament for at least his first 2 seasons. Horn left us in the toilet. Anyone expecting a tournament appearance in those first few years is definitely unreasonable.

Secondly, one tournament appearance every six years is actually not that bad considering our history. We've had 9 bids in the history of the school, which puts us below basketball powers such as Santa Clara, Navy, UTC, and Idaho State. Is once every 6 years acceptable? No. But we're not a school that goes every year either.

Third, we did go to the Final Four last year. People seem to forget that, but yeah, we beat Marquette, Duke, Baylor, and Florida to make the Final Four. Definitely the biggest accomplishment in our program's history.

Anyway, let's see how next year goes. Our problem over the years has been a lack of stability and retreads at the head coaching job. Martin is our guy, and he got us close to the mountaintop. I'm certainly not panicking right now, though improvement is expected next season to be sure.

I would like to see peoples' 1-14 rankings of SEC coaches. According to an analysis I saw on another site, Martin is as high as #2. Who are we going to get that is better than that?

Reactions: wallycock
Personally, I would rather win with Martin, than lose with Marshal.

Personally, I would rather win with Martin, than lose with Marshal.
Personally, I wish bringing up Marshall's name anymore at this point would be a permaban. That horse has been beaten to death and beyond.

Personally, I wish bringing up Marshall's name anymore at this point would be a permaban. That horse has been beaten to death and beyond.
My post was sarcasm to point out the absurdity of the premise put forth by the OP. The decision is between two choices that are not valid.

I look at "that fellow up at a Virginia" a lot. After graduating from South Carolina, I continued my education at Virginia and live in the Charlottesville area. Tony Bennett and his staff are outstanding evaluators and coaches. His players have embraced his style and grown immensely as athletes, citizens, leaders, and men. I have been very impressed by Jack Salt's progress particularly.

I wish Coach Martin could evaluate players as well as Coach Bennett.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

I would agree, but how do you do that when all the talent in the state grows up duke and UNC fans. Remember even Sindarias was a UNC fan growing up, but didn't get recruited by roy
That's what I mean by a wider net. Where does Bennett go to get players?

I think so. Even if we don't have Bowen available I think we can scrape up 20 wins with what we have coming back. I saw a lot of improvement from this team over the course of the season. If we get Bowen and he's everything we believe he is, we are in the top-4 of the conference and easily a tourney team.
OK. But I didn't see the degree of progress you perceived in this year's team. Still, I don't rule our improvement next year. And it better happen, too.

I've been a Gamecock fan a long time. A question mark at big dance time every year is an improvement. I'll take it.

If Marshall's heart is gamecock (and it is), we will always have a chance. Having said that, I don't really want him.

OK. But I didn't see the degree of progress you perceived in this year's team. Still, I don't rule our improvement next year. And it better happen, too.
Did you not see how bad we struggled early in the season? a loss to Illinois St? Struggling against UMass and Coastal, blown out by Clemson, and our first 2 conference losses.... at the time, I wasn't sure how we would get more than 2 or 3 wins in conference play. Had we had a little better PG play throughout the season I think we could have gotten to 20 wins this season. I just wish we could have Frank Booker for one more season.

Did you not see how bad we struggled early in the season? a loss to Illinois St? Struggling against UMass and Coastal, blown out by Clemson, and our first 2 conference losses.... at the time, I wasn't sure how we would get more than 2 or 3 wins in conference play. Had we had a little better PG play throughout the season I think we could have gotten to 20 wins this season. I just wish we could have Frank Booker for one more season.
It seemed to me like we just weren't ready at all coming into the season - discombobulated. Compared to that, a modicum of improvement was probably achieved..

Reactions: funktavious
:rolleyes: Hayuhl, who wouldn't? And I'd rather win with Marshal than lose with Martin, also, come to think about it. I'd rather win with Elmer Fudd than lose with Martin or anyone else.
My point exactly. The OP thread question is ludicrous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT