ADVERTISEMENT

Wow! Brent Johnson just said on 107.5 that

Kitchenlabs

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
May 20, 2000
they weren't going to spend a lot of time discussing baseball, and he acted offended that they have received tweets saying Holbrook should go.

I am not sure that a local radio station that is the flagship of South Carolina would benefit from bad mouthing any coach at South Carolina. It would make no sense. It would have nothing positive and could certainly add much negativity to the situation. I don't think Tanner saying anything negative would help either. Just tow the line until something needs to be done....then do it.

Yeah I was getting out of my car listening to the radio, and he read the tweet about the regression of Carolina baseball. I can't remember what was all said, but the tweet said Holbrook does not need to come back next year, and if he does, President Pastides (if that is spelled right) needs to do a serious evaluation on Ray Tanner as AD. Brent got real offended and said it was Chad who was also responsible for piecing the Back-to-Back titles in 2010-11 and he is the best recruiter in college baseball and that he needs one more year. I'm not a coach or anything, so I don't really have a say in that matter, but yeah something is up with this team and it's time to get dirty and clean house some. I'm not saying get rid of Holbrook, i'm just saying the problems need to be brought to lite and resolved ASAP.

Here how the calls are playing out if you say anything about SC Baseball:

Johnson: Hello Bill, you are on the air...
"Yes, my question/concern is about the state of the baseball program."
Johnson: CLICK......... "Sorry, I believe we lost the caller. That is all the time we have for baseball today, lets talk about the NASCAR race yesterday...."

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Here how the calls are playing out if you say anything about SC Baseball:

Johnson: Hello Bill, you are on the air...
"Yes, my question/concern is about the state of the baseball program."
Johnson: CLICK......... "Sorry, I believe we lost the caller. That is all the time we have for baseball today, lets talk about the NASCAR race yesterday...."

Nailed it.

they weren't going to spend a lot of time discussing baseball, and he acted offended that they have received tweets saying Holbrook should go.

What should they say? Its terrible right now! Even they will stipulate that....The only question out there is what is going to be done about it and the only guy that knows right now is Ray Tanner!

Baseball is a funny sport but I trust Ray knows if we have a talent or coaching issue or just an issue of plain old bad luck at the wrong time.

He helped build this program so I don't he will sit around very long and watch it get destroyed.....

Patience!

My personal opinion from what I have seen thus far is Chad is probably one of, if not the, best recruiter there is in college baseball......However I don't think he is capable of the CEO type roll that a HC plays.

In essence he is a great assistant but just isn't cut out for the level necessary as a HC that this program takes..... In fact I think there are only a handful of people that can put all of those pieces together...

I don't see us making it past the regular season so the problem will get dealt with soon enough one way or the other. If Ray has enough faith in Chad to put his own reputation on the line then I can live with that. Just as long as he knows there are repercussions when you step out on a limb like that....

I see you want most of you were saying. But continually talking negative about the program on the air to a bunch of potential recruits and to all none affiliates of the University of South Carolina would not help the situation either. JMHO

Ummm… It's their job to be the home of the gamecocks and to be in partnership with the gamecocks. They would probably be violating their contract and certainly would be jeopardizing their contract in the future with the University if they started spewing the kind of crap that gets spewed on this forum. It would be nice if this forum was a home of the gamecocks and was filled with people who were in partnership with the gamecocks. Then surely the public ridicule of the gamecocks here would stop.

Ummm… It's their job to be the home of the gamecocks and to be in partnership with the gamecocks. They would probably be violating their contract and certainly would be jeopardizing their contract in the future with the University if they started spewing the kind of crap that gets spewed on this forum. It would be nice if this forum was a home of the gamecocks and was filled with people who were in partnership with the gamecocks. Then surely the public ridicule of the gamecocks here would stop.

I see what your saying but honestly you should be able to have a conversation at any time in any forum about what is GOOD and BAD with any program.

Their mission is likely more along the lines of covering Gamecock sports and that mission should include both the positive and the negative.

There is NO dispute that our Baseball program is a train wreck right now....The reason it is of course is debatable!

As for the earlier post that potential recruits might hear or see that......I got news for you....They know the status of our program already so I doubt they are tuning in to 107.5 or Gamecock Central or any other place and forming an instant opinion of the status of Gamecock Baseball.....

If they are smart they, like most of us, want to know what the problem is, how do you fix it (if you plan to) and what role THEY might play in that future......

I see what your saying but honestly you should be able to have a conversation at any time in any forum about what is GOOD and BAD with any program.

Their mission is likely more along the lines of covering Gamecock sports and that mission should include both the positive and the negative.

There is NO dispute that our Baseball program is a train wreck right now....The reason it is of course is debatable!

As for the earlier post that potential recruits might hear or see that......I got news for you....They know the status of our program already so I doubt they are tuning in to 107.5 or Gamecock Central or any other place and forming an instant opinion of the status of Gamecock Baseball.....

If they are smart they, like most of us, want to know what the problem is, how do you fix it (if you plan to) and what role THEY might play in that future......
Talking or hearing is not the problem with a recruit. The problem would be with the stability of the program. You can tell a recruit "come in and make a difference" but you can't add.."if I'm still here as coach" to the process.

There is way too much buddy-buddiness in our athletic department right now. We are being run like a country club not an actual business.

There is way too much buddy-buddiness in our athletic department right now. We are being run like a country club not an actual business.
No one really thought this until this year. That is just because three of our major programs hit a bump in the road. Spurrier is a great coach and added some help...Martin will be a great coach when he gets the right kids....I think the jury is still out on Holbrook. I think we all had a knee jerk reaction starting with the football team.

Now, Michael, correct me if I'm wrong, but baseball is a cruel sport, much like the English football leagues we follow. I know when Deuce and I did the show, there were things we would disagree on, but hear me out, it's not always about the wins and losses, per se. Again, I'm just a guy on the radio, but having suffered along side the Braves for several decades, I think I know bad baseball. So, Michael, I think...and, I know you'll agree...listen, people...I have four daughters.....

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Now, Michael, correct me if I'm wrong, but baseball is a cruel sport, much like the English football leagues we follow. I know when Deuce and I did the show, there were things we would disagree on, but hear me out, it's not always about the wins and losses, per se. Again, I'm just a guy on the radio, but having suffered along side the Braves for several decades, I think I know bad baseball. So, Michael, I think...and, I know you'll agree...listen, people...I have four daughters.....

:D

So no the Nellies on this board are upset that local Sports media doesn't let them fill up the airwaves with their irrational venom about USC sports. Maybe they feel an obligation to promote constructive discussion of local sports instead.

If Chad Holbrook is such a great recruiter, we should be able to out-athlete most of the teams on our schedule. I know Jerry Meyers has been a very good pitching coach over the years. CH must not be a great Head Coach. I like the way people talk about Chad "fixing" it. It didn't need fixing, until he broke it.

Do people listen to a Disk Jockey doing sports talk and expect credible sports talk? Does the guy even cover the games? I saw a picture of him once on the website. I don't ever see him in the press box at baseball games or in the press section at basketball games?

That show sounds like a 60 minute back rub for the program. That's great if that's what you like. If not, and you expect great analysis or objective conversation, I'd pass. Or call the head of the station and request some new talent at the station.

Yes they do know the status of our program. They do web searches, look on here, listen to podcasts and watch the games etc... So when they hear fans calling for heads and saying we suck, it doesn't leave such a good taste in their mouth. Then on top of that non affiliates such as rival schools read this posts, hear that on the radio, read articles critizing the program and use it as ammunition.

Am I happy about the current state of the program... NO. But I am not going to call a show demanding the coach be fired, come on here and do the same etc... It doesn't fix the problem.

Even Tanner had some sorry seasons before he got us back on track. His early teams lost a lot of series we had no business in losing. But he gives a back to back NC's.

Maybe this is a season the team and coaches need to have them refocus and concentrate on what made us national champions and/or contenders.

Once again JMHO

Some of you guys must not listen(to the show)on a regular basis. Brent has said it is bad and needs to change. However folks that say Chad should be fired is just idiocracy at its finest.

So no the Nellies on this board are upset that local Sports media doesn't let them fill up the airwaves with their irrational venom about USC sports. Maybe they feel an obligation to promote constructive discussion of local sports instead.

I was listening to 107.5 when those two 'local Sports media' hacks were ranting like a duet of maniacs about Carolina baseball fans who refuse to 'be patient' with this lost cause of a baseball team. I handled the situation as best I could - I hit the off button on my car radio!

""Chad is probably one of, if not the, best recruiter there is in college baseball"

Based on what? I don't think the best recruiter in anything would be reduced to having to play a definitely hurt kid because he has no other options on the bench. Schrock should not be playing at this point in his injury except perhaps in limited DH spots, but he is playing in the 3rd spot as supposedly one of the teams primary run producers because the best recruiter is baseball has no bench?

This is getting silly....I heard the SC network interview this evening and it was of a coach whom had no answers....Holbrook mentioned changing the lineup order again and that baseball was fickle game. But the reality is that there are very little options at this point now because the best recruiter in baseball has a bench which would struggle at Lander or Liimestone.

I see you want most of you were saying. But continually talking negative about the program on the air to a bunch of potential recruits and to all none affiliates of the University of South Carolina would not help the situation either. JMHO
Actually it might help in recruiting. Let as many people as possible know how bad we are now while we still have a relevant name. Shout it to the roof tops that USC Baseball is looking for better players now. Guys that won't have to wait behind the scrubs we have now.

If they are the home of the gamecocks...they need to axe that annoying tiger on the morning show that knows nothing about sports. He always has to put his 2 cents in about clem5on in almost every subject discussed. If I want to hear a bunch of positives about clem5on, I surely wouldn't expect to get it from the "home of the gamecocks" radio station.

""Chad is probably one of, if not the, best recruiter there is in college baseball"

Based on what? I don't think the best recruiter in anything would be reduced to having to play a definitely hurt kid because he has no other options on the bench. Schrock should not be playing at this point in his injury except perhaps in limited DH spots, but he is playing in the 3rd spot as supposedly one of the teams primary run producers because the best recruiter is baseball has no bench?

This is getting silly....I heard the SC network interview this evening and it was of a coach whom had no answers....Holbrook mentioned changing the lineup order again and that baseball was fickle game. But the reality is that there are very little options at this point now because the best recruiter in baseball has a bench which would struggle at Lander or Liimestone.
I agree..where are all these great recruits??? Are they the ones hitting below .200??? We have absolutely no depth. Are the great ones on the pitching staff?? Besides wynkoop and a spot good performance every now and then, the staff is southern conf material. Look at vandy, lsu, fla, they recruit well and chad doesn't work for them.

The biggest problem is we need better players. Our pitchers are highly touted guys that throw in the 90's in high school ( except Reagan ), but somehow sit at 87 when they get to Carolina as opposed to Vanderbilt pitchers that all learn to throw the ball harder. Our position players are, frankly, not really the cream of the crop of what our state had to offer. I do not want to mention any names because they are all doing the best that they can and should be commended, but they are not USC caliber players.
I would like to mention some of the local midlands boys who got away. C of C did a great job in plucking some top tier talent right from under our noses. Nick Pappas from Dutch Fork, Ryan Brown from Lexington, and Carl Wise from White Knoll come to mind. I thought David Houser from AC Flora would have been a great fit for us, but he ended up going to Tennessee. Holbrook did grab Collin Stegall from Spartanburg Methodist ( Lexington ) who was one of the best high school hitters I have seen, but he never plays him.

Bottom line, stifling questions about a particular athletic program is very Daboesque. Control everything, change the subject when a negative subject is brought up, make excuses for failure, assign blame to negative fans and other media coverage.

Bingo! Nailed it perfectly!!

Heath Cline talks very little local sports.

Unfortunately, this is the case. Cline is hands down better than any other person they have on that station, & 2nd ain't even close. I get the sense that he doesn't enjoy talking about Carolina very much. He seems to be much more interested in pro sports or major sports stories.

Our Head Coach is whining to the media about pressure.

Not good, not good at all.

Certainly not what you'd expect from the head coach of a team that has won two national championships in the last 5 years. I'm now convinced he can't handle it.

Our Head Coach is whining to the media about pressure.

Not good, not good at all.

Certainly not what you'd expect from the head coach of a team that has won two national championships in the last 5 years. I'm now convinced he can't handle it.

These comments by Coach Holbrook are almost ver batum the same comments made by Ray Tanner as HC back in 1999 when he was getting crucified by the fans and local media. All either coach was saying was that they welcomed the pressure and wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing wrong with that as a competitor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT