ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. UNC gets no punishment.

Break out wallets and let's start paying recruits directly. The NCAA just proved it has no power whatsoever. If they call, just hang up on them. Freaking unbelievable. I genuinely hope all schools start ignoring all the rules, and the NCAA stops getting paid. It clearly serves no purpose.

why are you surprised...the reason they drug it out so long was to hope the public would forget the severity of the offences

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
classes weren't fake, read the report...start in 2014 though so you get the full gist of all reports.

the entire student body was allowed to take classes just like at every university...it was always down to extra benefits and they weren't extra when everyone participated.

by the way, i have two degrees from scarolina, i also knew of classes to take in columbia as well.

Moral of the story: fake classes are fine, so long as regular students have the opportunity to take them too.
So right. Just a total joke. Not only should UNC go on severe probation, but their SACS accreditation (and accreditation from other organizations/boards for specialized programs) should be in jeopardy. 18 years of systematic academic fraud involving hundreds of athletes across multiple sports and it results in NOTHING? You've got to be kidding me.

9 of the Most Absurd NCAA Violations in Recent Memory
BY NICK GREENE

MARCH 20, 2015

#9. South Carolina's Improper Icing On Cookies

southcarolinafootball.jpg

Getty
From an AP report on South Carolina's self-reported secondary violations to the NCAA, which were submitted in 2014:

Impermissible iced decorations on a cookie cakes given to prospects.

So right. Just a total joke. Not only should UNC go on severe probation, but their SACS accreditation (and accreditation from other organizations/boards for specialized programs) should be in jeopardy. 18 years of systematic academic fraud involving hundreds of athletes across multiple sports and it results in NOTHING? You've got to be kidding me.

And the hoops you have to jump through; All of the planning and work that goes into maintaining SACS accreditation............. And they completely SKATE after running fake classes?!?!?!? W.O.W.

classes weren't fake, read the report...start in 2014 though so you get the full gist of all reports.

the entire student body was allowed to take classes just like at every university...it was always down to extra benefits and they weren't extra when everyone participated.

by the way, i have two degrees from scarolina, i also knew of classes to take in columbia as well.

This is pretty funny ....a tarhole over on a Gamecock forum trying to convince us that his 'holes are actually honorable people. What's next, ISIS members are really nice folk after you get to know them?

Reactions: drawplay000

I took math 101 at USC. Half the class was made up of athletes. Role was never called; as was true in many huge classes. I attended to take the tests.

I had learned everything taught in that class by the 7th grade.

Yes, dude, the classes were totally aboveboard.
This was an A paper...
qtqabrucmtcj6dzna1bp.jpg

Reactions: DaddyRooster
I took math 101 at USC. Half the class was made up of athletes. Role was never called; as was true in many huge classes. I attended to take the tests.

I had learned everything taught in that class by the 7th grade.

But you actually had to report and take the tests. This puts the class in a different league than the ones UNC offered. In those there were no tests to show up and take. Also, the papers that were "graded" were usually not written by the student.

An easy class is still far more difficult than a fake class.

But you actually had to report and take the tests. This puts the class in a different league than the ones UNC offered. In those there were no tests to show up and take. Also, the papers that were "graded" were usually not written by the student.

I think the NCAA ruled correctly. I also think UNC is a joke for offering classes like that.

But then, every school has classes that are a joke. Where does the NCAA draw the line in determining a permissible junk class from an impermissible one? They punted on that. If all students can take the class, it's not an extra benefit. I get it.

Now, I'm gonna look into getting that Phd in Chapel Hill.

read all the reports...they weren't fake

of course rigger should be weighed, but it's weighed by the school, not the ncaa as a whole.

sacs already weighed in on this two years ago...fines and probation were levied.

also, the classes i took at scarolina were not math 101.

Yes, dude, the classes were totally aboveboard.
This was an A paper...
qtqabrucmtcj6dzna1bp.jpg

ah, the famous mary willingham paper has been debunked as has her credibility.

lawd hayah muhcy..what convoluted bs...Many UNC athletes got credit for courses they never took and got degrees without doing any work whatsoever...If that ever went on at USC we would get 5 yrs of sanctions...No school has every sunk so low in the muck of academic fraud as UNC is getting away with...Your mush is exactly what the NCAA was hoping for...As time passes fans would forget the details of the violations

of course rigger should be weighed, but it's weighed by the school, not the ncaa as a whole.

sacs already weighed in on this two years ago...fines and probation were levied.

Yes, they were fake. That's why the SACS put UNC's academic accreditation on probation for a year and seriously considered revoking the school's accreditation (which would've shut down UNC). Read the SACS report. "The classes required little to no work for passing grades."

I hope we have our fake classes ready to go. No athlete should ever be suspended for being academically ineligible/missing class again. Hell we should just make an entire major for athletes that requires no work, just offer to normal students as well

The SEC commish ran the show, we all know if he could have hammered the ACC he would have...

Greg Sankey, commissioner of the SEC and the head of the NCAA Committee on Infractions which heard UNC's case, said, "While student-athletes likely benefited from the so-called ‘paper courses’ offered by North Carolina, the information available in the record did not establish that the courses were solely created, offered and maintained as an orchestrated effort to benefit student-athletes."

Sankey's conclusion essentially echoed the argument that UNC had been making for years.

In May, in its response to the NCAA allegations, UNC wrote, "The issues concerning the courses are academic in nature and beyond the reach of the NCAA bylaws."

"NCAA policy is clear," Sankey said Friday. "The NCAA defers to its member schools to determine whether academic fraud occurred and, ultimately, the panel is bound to making decisions within the rules set by the membership."
AA.....

I took an audio/visual class for an easy A, then in my senior year I took Math for Elementary School Teachers for an elective,it was harder than I thought it would be :)

Tanner should be burning the NCAA rule book right now in his office and have the bag men lined up with plane tickets in hand ready to go get us some recruits.

Right. UNC's regional accrediting agency put you on probation because it was "debunked."

It took them 7 years to figure a way to weasel all the school's athletic programs out of harm's way. Originally only the women's BB was to be the scapegoat, but why do that when you can let the wimps let you off Scott free. Sankey is the biggest wimp of them all. Roy Williams the King of BB rulings.

Reactions: cockofdawn
All the P5 teams should form their own regulatory body and F the NCAA. I know all of you say NC was not punished, well in reality all the programs have been tarnished and many basketball and football top recruits went elsewhere the last 7 years. With the new FBI probe into these 5* guys, maybe that was a blessing in disguise.

The next time NCAA tells a athlete he or she can't be excepted in a school because of academics. Can the school can ignore the NCAA?
Yeah, I was wondering how this ruling (and the manner in which it was worded) would affect the NCAA Clearinghouse. They may have stubbed their own toe with this decision. Not sure how this decision by the NCAA couldn't be used as precedent in a case challenging the Clearinghouse's authority to deny HS players the ability to enroll and participate as long as the school allows the player to enroll and participate under it's academic requirements.

I get the classes were available to everyone, and therefore, not just for athletic gain. However, this is ridiculous. I value my degree and worked very hard for it. I would like to think that everyone else that earned one had to work as well. If I had a degree from UNC, I think this would really burn me.

I guess for me is that things like the cookies and the meal that someone bought for Latti are impermissible, but these types of classes are not. Again I get they were open to everyone, but everyone knows the intended target.

All the P5 teams should form their own regulatory body and F the NCAA. I know all of you say NC was not punished, well in reality all the programs have been tarnished and many basketball and football top recruits went elsewhere the last 7 years. With the new FBI probe into these 5* guys, maybe that was a blessing in disguise.

Still both the NCAA & UNC are punchlines forever. Not a fanbase out there (or any logical person for that matter) besides UNC who thinks this is right.

Not saying its right man, NCAA just got bitten by its own by-laws. They thought they could bully everyone, looks like this time they got out lawyered. Just like always with the NCAA, they ones who commit the infractions rarely get punished.

There were some easy classes you could take at SC, but nothing in the stratosphere of what went on at UNCheat.I took Music 101 one year because someone told me it was a crip course...........had to work my arse off to get a C.

Bottom line, UNC's academic greatness is simply a PR machine hard at work.

There were some easy classes you could take at SC, but nothing in the stratosphere of what went on at UNCheat.I took Music 101 one year because someone told me it was a crip course...........had to work my arse off to get a C.

Bottom line, UNC's academic greatness is simply a PR machine hard at work.

maybe you're an idiot at music?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT