ADVERTISEMENT

WWB...# 52 just stands there and lets Mizz player go by her for winning bucket

She should have had some help when she got by her. We really screwed up those last few possessions. It was not a great effort today all the way around.

stood there like she was froozen

I did not have the balls to make that post.

You are 110% correct. If you watch the entire replay of those closing moments, you will see that from the beginning of the play until well after the basket was made & drained, she never moved her feet at all. Seriously, she looked like she was hypnotized.

Wondered if I was imagining hat. Could have given some defense. Also we didn't feed Coates enough.

Kind of hard to feed the post vs a 2-3 zone with all 5 defenders in or near the paint...the problem is we play too slow and pass up to many good outside shot trying to force the ball inside with 5 defenders just sitting there..We are bigger, faster, deeper and more athletic than Mizzou..Beat them down the floor and get a good shot before they pack the zone in..The only way Mizzou can stay with is is if we play a slow methodical pound it inside game..The exact game our great HBC is obsessed with

Reactions: gamecockblack
The only way Mizzou can stay with is is if we play a slow methodical pound it inside game..The exact game our great HBC is obsessed with
Exactly lawcal. At some point in time, & hopefully sooner than later, Dawn will see that her offensive philosophy just isn't good enough & she's holding these girls back from reaching their full potential. Losing these games to unranked teams will be her greatest teacher.

Exactly lawcal. At some point in time, & hopefully sooner than later, Dawn will see that her offensive philosophy just isn't good enough & she's holding these girls back from reaching their full potential. Losing these games to unranked teams will be her greatest teacher.

Thus far Dawn has proven stubborn to a fault...She makes no adjustments to the packed in zone whatsoever..Having all that talent and losing to Mizzou is like a having a Doberman lose a race to a lapdog...Early in the season they were playing faster and much better..Then they went to Duke and no one could throw it in the ocean..After that it was back to walk it up and pound it inside on every possession..Honestly i don't expect the change to come until after she loses both Wilson and Coates...It is a shame to underachieve with all that talent..But Coach Staley is convicted of what she believes are her core principles...I don't think any opposing Coach is stupid enough to play us and not pack in the 2-3 zone

I wondered why Missouri continued to make layups and nothing was done to stop it.

Why we played so much man is a mystery to me..Coates getting in early foul trouble screamed for a switch to some zone...Mizzou does have 2 outstanding shooters...But i prefer to give up 20 footers to layups...Sure;y by now Dawn knows the refs are not going to call teams for moving screens in the SEC

We are on the road, game tied with.34 seconds and a full 30 second shot clock. Please hold the ball for one shot.......

I agree pretty much...But i don't have a problem with getting a good shot early and having 2 chances potentially to score...What i don't understand is why you call timeout to run the play everyone in the arena knew you would...Get down the court quickly and give them the chance to messup without their HBCs counsel...Also why the heck do you put the ball in Kaela Davis hands...She has proven time and again to be a shrinking violet...Put the ball in the hands of Allisha or Bianca and i am okay with an early shot...Where in the world did KD think she was going to go with 3 players blanketing Wilson...Gray was standing alone for a corner 3 when Davis took the dumbest charge of the season

I agree pretty much...But i don't have a problem with getting a good shot early and having 2 chances potentially to score...What i don't understand is why you call timeout to run the play everyone in the arena knew you would...Get down the court quickly and give them the chance to messup without their HBCs counsel...Also why the heck do you put the ball in Kaela Davis hands...She has proven time and again to be a shrinking violet...Put the ball in the hands of Allisha or Bianca and i am okay with an early shot...Where in the world did KD think she was going to go with 3 players blanketing Wilson...Gray was standing alone for a corner 3 when Davis took the dumbest charge of the season
Yea but it wasn't a charge.

She should have had some help when she got by her. We really screwed up those last few possessions. It was not a great effort today all the way around.

A'ja had a great chance to step over and seal the paint, forcing the ball out of the hands of their best shooter..But Wilson was late...My best guess is our players were counseled not to foul, thus the hesitancy to move quickly on defense...Harris a true freshmen, who has floundered in our toughest games may have frozen because she didn't want to foul...Sad truth is if you foul, there is more than .6 seconds left on the clock...Probably would have had 3-4 seconds had Harris been called for a foul cutting her off..

One thing that bugs me...Doniyah Cliney is our best defensive guard..Why not sub her for the freshman...Harris the point guard could have subbed back in after we took the last TO with .6 secs left...Hindsight is always 20/20

Sorry to disagree, but Cliney let several of their players drive right past her for lay ups. Wilson, BCM, and Gray seem to be the best defenders as of now.

Just asking, but how can a defensive player shuffling in front of an offensive player without a still straight up position not be called for a block? The offensive player should be given the lead way unless the defender has the established position. Flopping or moving backwards when there is contact is an acting job to get the foul on the offensive player.

Just asking, but how can a defensive player shuffling in front of an offensive player without a still straight up position not be called for a block? The offensive player should be given the lead way unless the defender has the established position. Flopping or moving backwards when there is contact is an acting job to get the foul on the offensive player.

officials blow the block/charge more often than any other..I am more upset about moving screens..can't play man defense if opposing team is allowed to block like olinemen

A'ja had a great chance to step over and seal the paint, forcing the ball out of the hands of their best shooter..But Wilson was late...My best guess is our players were counseled not to foul, thus the hesitancy to move quickly on defense...Harris a true freshmen, who has floundered in our toughest games may have frozen because she didn't want to foul...Sad truth is if you foul, there is more than .6 seconds left on the clock...Probably would have had 3-4 seconds had Harris been called for a foul cutting her off..

One thing that bugs me...Doniyah Cliney is our best defensive guard..Why not sub her for the freshman...Harris the point guard could have subbed back in after we took the last TO with .6 secs left...Hindsight is always 20/20
Wilson actually took a step away from the play as the Mizzou player round the screen. That was a serious mistake. Is she had stepped into the driving lane, the player could have passed to Wilson's player out around the FT line, but she probably wouldn't have beat the clock with her shot. Instead, she left the lane wide open.

First of all Gray was the last player before the layup but she never challenged the ball. Never moved her feet. Never reacted at all.

Don't understand why Asa didn't shoot the ball on the inbounds as soon as she caught it. Surely the coaches said repeatedly that there was no time to make a pass or dribble.

Our team is absolutely terrible at getting back on defense and getting the ball inbounds under our basket.

Lastly, our girls play man to man standing straight up, thats why Missouri kept going right past us. They have to get down in a defensive position. We spent more time chasing the ball than defending it.

I'm not here to complain about these girls but these are the things that happen every game and I really mean every game. Dawn needs to coach 'em up.

Teams know how to beat us now. On offense, they should drive to the basket. On defense, pack the lane and dare Davis and the Harris to shoot.

First of all Gray was the last player before the layup but she never challenged the ball. Never moved her feet. Never reacted at all.

Unless Grey changed her number from 10 to 52 just before that play started, it was Harris that stood there. Grey (10) was guarding but got beat. Harris's man moved back out for a pass from the driving player but Harris just stood there.

Last edited:
OK, can we be real honest here? Watching that game was way more than just the end of it. Yes, that is what we remember, however, from beginning to end the team looked very lethargic and really didnt look like they wanted to play that day. Very slow moving up and down the court, throwing up shots that were not needed, taking way to much time to get a shot off rather than playing with intensity. Wilson played very hard. As I said last week, we will go as far as davis takes us. She shoots a total of I think 3-23 (13%)against Uconn and Mizzou and we lose. Has several turnovers and plays poorly. Against Vandy she does very well and we win very big. I know team competition is different but it is a trend.

Okay Silverspur02, I made a BIG OLE MISTAKE. Thanks for correcting things.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers... just trying to show that it was Harris and not Grey. In watching the game, I hollered at the tv when she didn't even TRY to slow down the drive. I thought she should have stepped in front and draw the charge. Apologies..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT