ADVERTISEMENT

Wyff report on taters and USC recruiting dollars.

Clemson went to the playoffs for the 3rd time and only made $9 Million.

What scares me is not the money but the publicity that the upstate team keeps getting for going to the playoffs the past 3 years. They are constantly on ABC and ESPN for the entire month of December and into January. It is exhausting to us to see this. But the kids are getting used to them always being there.

Reactions: dbowers2008
I don’t buy that they only made $9mil. Our principle revenue source came from ticket sales, and we netted $26 mil! That's almost 3x their net. They averaged just as many fans per game as we did. Are you telling me our ticket prices are 3x higher than theirs? There’s a bunch of money not being reported on their part for sure!

I don’t buy that they only made $9mil. Our principle revenue source came from ticket sales, and we netted $26 mil! That's almost 3x their net. They averaged just as many fans per game as we did. Are you telling me our ticket prices are 3x higher than theirs? There’s a bunch of money not being reported on their part for sure!

My, oh my! The Taters football program is a 'money laundering' vehicle? I smell a big time recruiting scandal in Dung Valley!

Reactions: gamecock ed
If our margin is that much better than theirs, then it only means we ought to be spending more on recruiting.

USC is a business school. I’d expect more from their leaders. Taters are in Pickens. I’d imagine they have a lot more hands to feed then most. That inbreeding adds up.

Reactions: NetworkX
I'm also confused about "financial aid to athletes was USC's biggest expense." Maybe so, but I'd imagine theirs has to be pretty much exactly equal...both schools give out 85 full scholarships and both have similar tuition rates for in state and out of state. The article doesn't mention this cost for them, but if they're equal it seems like it's odd to highlight it on our side.

They are.

They've gone from driving Moses Malone around the block (with a little white envelope as a 'gift') to wholesale wild man cheating a la Ford in the 80's, to money laundering through a church in the Dabo Era.

Google the list of infractions that clempsin got hit with in 1982… read carefully and note the two interesting names (one person, one business) involved in dispersing the money… Next, do a google search of the current clempsin board of trustees and see if you notice anything familiar…

also, isn't it somewhat interesting, that both of clempsin's "historic runs" have come immediately after a run of success in the series by Carolina… and the arrival of 'boys from bama"?

Just something to ponder…

Last edited:
Google the list of infractions that clempsin got hit with in 1982… read carefully and note the two interesting names (one person, one business) involved in dispersing the money… Next, do a google search of the current clempsin board of trustees and see if you notice anything familiar…

also, isn't it somewhat interesting, that both of clempsin's "historic runs" have come immediately after a run of success in the series by Carolina… and the arrival of 'boys from bama"?

Read this, people. Says a lot.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

I think it's interesting on this board that so many are convinced that payoffs to players is occurring. I understand rivalries and the natural hatred each side has for the other....But come on. Read a little back story of the coaches at Clemson and then convince me there is rampant cheating gong on. Read what recruits say about the school, the environment, the culture, etc. I'm not talking about just those who sign with Clemson. Do some fact checking and then form an opinion....

I think it's interesting on this board that so many are convinced that payoffs to players is occurring. I understand rivalries and the natural hatred each side has for the other....But come on. Read a little back story of the coaches at Clemson and then convince me there is rampant cheating gong on. Read what recruits say about the school, the environment, the culture, etc. I'm not talking about just those who sign with Clemson. Do some fact checking and then form an opinion....

Kaleb Chalmers was a Clemson player that was dismissed for the team and picked up by the Gamecocks...gotta think he wasn't happy with Clemson, but I haven't heard any stories he might have told...

I've said this for years. They make it a point to dominate the media outlets as well. Not sure about this, but don't they host an outing of some sorts for the state's media people?

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Can you give a link? I can't find anything about a specific business or person

Your coach gets a speeding ticket and I forget who he calls but it was someone to get him out of the ticket. You have a football player beat a girl with a towel rod and your football coaches are called in to handle the situation including taking students to hospital.

This isn’t money laundering but very clear signs that your school will always do the wrong thing when given a chance. And it starts at the top.

Small town antics.

Do you dispute that in 1982 the clempsin football program was put on probation?
Do you dispute that Charley Pell and Danny Ford, both previously on Alabama's coaching staff, were the coaches of record at clempsin during that time frame? And further, Charley Pell went on to Florida and the results were that he put them on probation too.
Do you dispute that John "Nicky" McCarty, the owner of Defender Services, was named in connection with the distribution of monies and improper benefits in the 1982 list of infractions?

Fast forward to current day…

Do you dispute that John "Nicky" McCarty is still the president of Defender Services?
Do you dispute that the very same John "Nicky" McCarty is now a member of the clempsin board of trustees?
Do you dispute that dabo was part of the Alabama coaching staff that was penalized for paying the H. S. coach of the player from Memphis?
Do you dispute that dabo was one of the lead recruiters in that case?
Do you dispute that as a result of the recruiting scandal, dabo was among the coaches let go from the Alabama coaching staff?

Now, the 1982 NCAA infractions and penalties are NOT in dispute… and please, tell me where I am incorrect on my "current day" information…

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer… but I'm sharp enough to know the difference between sh!t and shinola…

Last edited:
I've heard it directly from student athletes - Clemson pays. Frankly, I don't care they do. This is big business, so people should be paid. But it's funny to watch Saint Dabo talk about the "Clemson family."

I've heard it directly from student athletes - Clemson pays. Frankly, I don't care they do. This is big business, so people should be paid. But it's funny to watch Saint Dabo talk about the "Clemson family."

I think that it is pretty obvious, at least to any one not wearing "orange tinted glasses", that clempsin has bought into the "Alabama business model"… twice…

It's too early to know if Kirby brought it with him to our friends to the west… For now, I think Kirby fell into an unbelievable situation… It's not like Richt had run things into the ground…

I am VERY interested to see how things progress and work out at Texas A&M with Jimbo moving over… I am guessing that Free Shoes U balked at the "wide open wallet" business model… and I don't think that will be a problem in College Station… where I've heard that the typical response to the coaching staff saying "I need more money" is "no problem… we'll just drill a couple of more wells…"

Your coach gets a speeding ticket and I forget who he calls but it was someone to get him out of the ticket. You have a football player beat a girl with a towel rod and your football coaches are called in to handle the situation including taking students to hospital.

This isn’t money laundering but very clear signs that your school will always do the wrong thing when given a chance. And it starts at the top.

Small town antics.
Do you know where the University of Clemson Police Department and courtroom are located? I will give you one guess lol

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Of course players are paid. Not just at Clemson but most every place. You can’t be that naive. I mean I know you root for Clemson but you still can’t be that naive can you ?

Reactions: TriumphCock
Do you dispute that Charley Pell and Danny Ford, both previously on Alabama's coaching staff, were the coaches of record at clempsin during that time frame? And further, Charley Pell went on to Florida and the results were that he put them on probation too.
Do you dispute that John "Nicky" McCarty, the owner of Defender Services, was named in connection with the distribution of monies and improper benefits in the 1982 list of infractions?

Do you dispute that John "Nicky" McCarty is still the president of Defender Services?
Do you dispute that the very same John "Nicky" McCarty is now a member of the clempsin board of trustees?
Do you dispute that dabo was part of the Alabama coaching staff that was penalized for paying the H. S. coach of the player from Memphis?
Do you dispute that as a result of the recruiting scandal, dabo was among the coaches let go from the Alabama coaching staff?

Now, the 1982 NCAA infractions and penalties are NOT in dispute… and please, tell me where I am incorrect on my "current day" information…

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer… but I'm sharp enough to know the difference between sh!t and shinola…
I nominate this for post of the decade!!

Clem has a storied history of paying players.

Outstanding.

Reactions: Cocky704
Can you give a link? I can't find anything about a specific business or person
Art, I went back to look for the exact article that I saw the Defender/McCarty info…and I couldn't find that exact one… I'll keep looking though and share it when I find AND bookmark it…

But Google "clempson probation 1982" and a number of very interesting articles come up…

Here's one of my personal fav's: http://www.nytimes.com/1982/11/23/sports/severe-sanctions-levied-on-clemson.html

Seems that the NY Times took a dim view of what was going on in the upstate at the time…

Another good one in the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...704-80b0-847f2e06c066/?utm_term=.1ed21e18eb3c

and to answer those fans that say it really wasn't that big of a deal… here's a couple interesting quotes from the W. P. article. Just a bit of a teaser, if you will:

>The penalties against Clemson, college football's defending national champion, are the most serious handed down by the NCAA Committee on Infractions since it imposed three years probation with sanctions on the Michigan State University football program in 1976.<

>There was no immediate figure available on the total number of infractions because some were lumped together, according to David Berst, NCAA director of enforcement. But he said that Clemson had been charged with more than 150 allegations, confirming a report by The Washington Post on Nov. 11 that the NCAA would impose two years probation with sanctions.<

The old "everybody cheats but my school" argument. Get over yourself if you dont think USC does things shady too.

Reactions: Zann77
Art, I went back to look for the exact article that I saw the Defender/McCarty info…and I couldn't find that exact one… I'll keep looking though and share it when I find AND bookmark it…

<

Sir I will wager $1000, paid to the charity of your choice, that you cannot find any article published by any reputable newspaper or any report by the NCAA that states that Nicky McCarty was implicated in or guilty of any of the infractions the NCAA found that Clemson committed from 1977 to 1982.

Reactions: Zann77
Sir I will wager $1000, paid to the charity of your choice, that you cannot find any article published by any reputable newspaper or any report by the NCAA that states that Nicky McCarty was implicated in or guilty of any of the infractions the NCAA found that Clemson committed from 1977 to 1982.

Just askin. Was Defender named ? If so, was McCarty the head of Defender?

I’m not asking a rhetorical question. I don’t know the answer.

Reactions: Tigerof66

Are you speaking of Saint Dabo? The guy that couldn’t get a coaching job for two years after serving on the toxic staff of Mike DuBose that brought the NCAA hammer down on Alabama? Then Bowden hires him when he was desperate for recruiting to upgrade the program?

I heard from a reliable high school football coach who was told by a D1 asst. coach that the NCAA knows programs pay but don't even try to enforce it.

NCAA knows they can’t really control it unless somebody gets their feelings hurt along the way (most likely a booster who doesn’t feel like he gets the proper inside respect he feels he is due) and turns on the program. Everybody has pretty much mastered how not to leave a paper trail, and probably leave the coaches in the place of having “plausible deniability”. This day and time, one would imagine that those not playing the game aren’t doing very well on the field either. Hey, it is a business, and these coaches will go to great lengths to keep those 7 figure checks rolling in every year. The kids want a cut for their services as well.

I think the NCAA should open Pandora's box and allow payment to players. Give each school say...a $200,000 recruiting budget. Each school has 200K to pay recruits what ever to come to the school. A one-time payment for each cycle, payment is in 4 year installments...if a player leaves after his 3rd year he forfeits his 4th year installment. If you divide that into the 85 scholarship the pay comes to about $2300 per player. Now obviously a school could pay a 5 star more but it would decrease other players amount. I'll forward this to the NCAA Offices..;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT