ADVERTISEMENT

Wynn

This was another must have if we are to gain ground. If we don't close these it will be status quo.

I thought as hard as Muschamp and staff work recruiting things would be better

Running out of these high rated true 4 yr guys.

Still have Sandidge and KJ Henry?

Unless we hire Henry's dad, I think he is a longshot of longshots

I bet Jaycee Horn ends up at Bama to

We have never done what is necessary to win long term. Nothing changes at this rate. Not gaining ground. If anything, I did expect recruiting to improve. Needed a top 10-15 class this time around. Not holding my breath. Win recruiting battles and the on the field stuff will take care of itself. Sigh.

We have never done what is necessary to win long term. Nothing changes at this rate. Not gaining ground. If anything, I did expect recruiting to improve. Needed a top 10-15 class this time around. Not holding my breath. Win recruiting battles and the on the field stuff will take care of itself. Sigh.
Man I would hate for you to be my Dr.:)

It works both ways. Winning on the field helps win recruiting battles. 6-7 teams don't usually sign top 10 - 15 ranked classes.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Klempsun did it. We can too. They endured a coaching change to an unknown quantity and went 6-7. I hate them but have to hand it to them. They don't stand for crap that we always put up with. Sorry, just frustrated and don't see things changing at the moment.

It works both ways. Winning on the field helps win recruiting battles. 6-7 teams don't usually sign top 10 - 15 ranked classes.

I thought as hard as Muschamp and staff work recruiting things would be better
Do you realize the mess Steve Spurrier Left Behind for will muschamp? The team roster was a complete shambles when Spurrier quit on us this is what happens! Yes Muschamp is a great recruiter but he had zero momentum to work with when he took the job this was a total rebuild and it still going to take more time than we think and we were lucky to get the players he got last year.

Why is it that some many posters don't understand the mechanics of recruiting? We are not going to get the 5* etc. until we have something to offer them again. We lost to the Citadel two seasons ago for goodness sake because we didn't have to personnel to compete even with them. Muschamp is doing a good job of trying to fill in the gaps but there are so many to fill. We ain't Bama nor are we Clemson for now but Muschamp is going about things in the right way. We live in a world of instant gratification and some posters freak that the biggest names ain't signing here. They will but we have to give them that stage to draw them here by turning the corner again. This season will be a start I really believe it some declare that's too positive but I always expect to win just like Muschamp and that's where it starts. If you expect to win or you expect to lose either way you are probably right.

I'm just glad we gave Spurrier an ambassadors position after he "lost his give a damn" mid season and retired. We should be thankful for those 5 winning seasons.

What a slap in the face that move was. Spiller started it for Klempsun. They were 6-7. The dam has to be broken. We are treading water. Not going anywhere.

I'm just glad we gave Spurrier an ambassadors position after he "lost his give a damn" mid season and retired. We should be thankful for those 5 winning seasons.

Ugh yeah...probably bc I don't tolerate the bullsh/:( that so many here do.

QUOTE="jimnasium, post: 3391966, member: 112"]NooNoo did you ever play on a winning team in anything?[/QUOTE]

Why is it that some many posters don't understand the mechanics of recruiting? We are not going to get the 5* etc. until we have something to offer them again. We lost to the Citadel two seasons ago for goodness sake because we didn't have to personnel to compete even with them. Muschamp is doing a good job of trying to fill in the gaps but there are so many to fill. We ain't Bama nor are we Clemson for now but Muschamp is going about things in the right way. We live in a world of instant gratification and some posters freak that the biggest names ain't signing here. They will but we have to give them that stage to draw them here by turning the corner again. This season will be a start I really believe it some declare that's too positive but I always expect to win just like Muschamp and that's where it starts. If you expect to win or you expect to lose either way you are probably right.
I agree with you. However, Muschamp has proven himself as a recruiter and not as a coach. So I'm not sure your logic, while reasonable, is necessarily a good thing.

What this staff is doing different from the previous staff is they are out there in the kids faces and at their high schools. They are busting it on the trail.

They seem to be laying the groundwork for the future players. But They will not get the 5 and 4 star kids until they prove they are going in the right direction. Look who else wants these kids and ask yourself why would I come here. Early playing time, grew up a Gamecocks fan, only SEC team to offer me, etc. Until then we will have to take what we can get and coach and develop them. Win with what you have.

Clemsux got five star recruits that never visited the campus. Explain that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wynn stated that it was always between Bama & UGA. Daddy played a big part in his decision - he thinks Bama offered a bigger stage for his son than any other school*. I think Clemson may have somehow dissed Daddy and son, and I heard Muschamp played it real straight which knocked out USC.

*Whatever happened to: 'If you're good enough they'll find you'?

Wanna win? Start paying players. The ncaa isn't enforcing a damn thing.

Imo, this ^^^^ is the reality of the situation re: the NCAA's oversight and enforcement of recruiting rules in college football. As I've stated in previous posts, we got sucked into believing the NCAA's preaching that 'WhitneyGate' was a top level violation that could result in BIG penalties including forfeiture of W's (which, in turn, caused SOS to $&!t his pants). As it is, we can't even THINK about 'cash enhancements' in recruiting, unlike some 'other neighboring' institutions. We are legislated to be one of the 'choir boys' of NCAA college football! :mad:

Whitney thing was an absolute joke. Our athletic dept decided to eat a pile of scholarships because guys were late paying rent. Friggin Hyman.

What got us in trouble was when the coaches took it to the compliance department the director said it was ok. They later found out that it was not. So when the compliance department is at fault you pay the price. And we did. But at least it helped to result in the best 3 seasons of our program.

Whitney thing was an absolute joke. Our athletic dept decided to eat a pile of scholarships because guys were late paying rent. Friggin Hyman.
The whole Whitney thing was a joke compared to what other schools are doing. The NCAA has the goods on some of these schools and nothing has been done. UNC is just one of many examples!

Clemson did. Turned it right around after having lost 5 to us. Wonder how? They were getting 5 stars with no onfield results.

Reactions: 19Tiger89
Do you realize the mess Steve Spurrier Left Behind for will muschamp? The team roster was a complete shambles when Spurrier quit on us this is what happens! Yes Muschamp is a great recruiter but he had zero momentum to work with when he took the job this was a total rebuild and it still going to take more time than we think and we were lucky to get the players he got last year.

I get the frustration over Wynn as elite linemen are the key to competing at a championship level. The UGA fans are saying the same thing as they were actually considered the favorite to land Wynn until 24 hours before the announcement. But it's unfair and inaccurate to say Spurrier left the USC program "in shambles."

The guy is one of the most accomplished college football coaches of all time, he led the best 3-year run in USC history, beat Clemson 5 years in a row, notched more wins vs. ranked teams than any USC coach, and never signed a recruiting class ranked outside the top 25. Less than 2 years before he stepped aside, he led USC to a #4 overall finish (the best in school history). And unlike Holtz, he knew when it was time to step aside give someone else a shot. More importantly, here are the national team rankings for the 11 recruiting classes Spurrier signed at USC:

2015 - 19
2014 - 16
2013 - 16
2012 - 19
2011 - 18
2010 - 24
2009 - 12
2008 - 22
2007 - 6
2006 - 24
2005 - 23

How does signing 5 consecutive classes ranked in the teens amount to leaving the program in shambles? Even in 2016, the year Spurrier left and Muschamp arrived, USC still had the #26 class (not exactly a disaster).

I'm well aware that the team went 3-9 the year Spurrier quit mid-season, but going through a rebuilding year after nearly all of his key players left is not the same as leaving the program in shambles. If anything, give the guy some credit for helping the rebuilding process to be as short as possible. He knew the retirement rumors would prevent him from turning it around. So, he got out of the way as quickly as possibly and thereby helped recruiting rebound.

Yet it seems a lot of fans view Spurrier with resentment. Do you have any idea how lucky USC was to have that guy in charge of the program for 11 years?

Last edited:
I get the frustration over Wynn as elite linemen are the key to competing at a championship level. The UGA fans are saying the same thing as they were actually considered the favorite to land Wynn until 24 hours before the announcement. But it's unfair and inaccurate to say Spurrier left the USC program "in shambles."

The guy is one of the most accomplished college football coaches of all time, he led the best 3-year run in USC history, beat Clemson 5 years in a row, notched more wins vs. ranked teams than any USC coach, and never signed a recruiting class ranked outside the top 25. Less than 2 years before he stepped aside, he led USC to a #4 overall finish (the best in school history). And unlike Holtz, he knew when it was time to step aside give someone else a shot. More importantly, here are the national team rankings for the 11 recruiting classes Spurrier signed at USC:

2015 - 19
2014 - 16
2013 - 16
2012 - 19
2011 - 18
2010 - 24
2009 - 12
2008 - 22
2007 - 6
2006 - 24
2005 - 23

How does signing 5 consecutive classes ranked in the teens amount to leaving the program in shambles? Even in 2016, the year Spurrier left and Muschamp arrived, USC still had the #26 class (not exactly a disaster).

I'm well aware that the team went 3-9 the year Spurrier quit mid-season, but going through a rebuilding year after nearly all of his key players left is not the same as leaving the program in shambles. If anything, give the guy some credit for helping the rebuilding process to be as short as possible. He knew the retirement rumors would prevent him from turning it around. So, he got out of the way as quickly as possibly and thereby helped recruiting rebound.

Yet it seems a lot of fans view Spurrier with resentment. Do you have any idea how lucky USC was to have that guy in charge of the program for 11 years?
I'm fully aware that we were very LUCKY to get Steve Spurrier, I was the happiest Gamecock on the planet when we did.

There's a ton to be thankful for that Spurrier left behind, like bricks and mortar.

My point is that people expected Muschamp to come in and start getting recruits to sign, but the facts were that the product that Spurrier left behind was woeful and the roster was in a shambles. There isn't 1coach that could have come in an started getting big recruits right away other than maybe Saban (and that's because of what he build Bama into).

Am I pissed with Spurrier leaving? Absolutely not, he deserved his right to walk into retirement, he was the best playcaller I've ever seen. Am I pissed with how he left? Somewhat but over it now.

But to my point, I don't think it's fair for people to think Muschamp isn't doing about as well as he could be given the circumstances he was left with, which was from a roster standpoint, just terrible (which is Spurriers fault).

I'm fully aware that we were very LUCKY to get Steve Spurrier, I was the happiest Gamecock on the planet when we did.

There's a ton to be thankful for that Spurrier left behind, like bricks and mortar.

My point is that people expected Muschamp to come in and start getting recruits to sign, but the facts were that the product that Spurrier left behind was woeful and the roster was in a shambles. There isn't 1coach that could have come in an started getting big recruits right away other than maybe Saban (and that's because of what he build Bama into).

Am I pissed with Spurrier leaving? Absolutely not, he deserved his right to walk into retirement, he was the best playcaller I've ever seen. Am I pissed with how he left? Somewhat but over it now.

But to my point, I don't think it's fair for people to think Muschamp isn't doing about as well as he could be given the circumstances he was left with, which was from a roster standpoint, just terrible (which is Spurriers fault).

A big part of USC's football brand was Spurrier himself, so it is indeed a bit much to expect Muschamp to recruit lights-out from day 1. Even so, I still think its overboard to say the roster was in shambles. The Gamecocks still had better recruiting than many of the teams that beat them the past couple years. For example, compare USC's recruiting to Kentucky. Is there any legit explanation for UK winning 3 in a row?

I think that when SOS left there were still over 30 four star players on the roster...it is true that a lot of them were busts or transferred.

But it's unfair and inaccurate to say Spurrier left the USC program "in shambles."

No, it's fair to say that because it's the truth.

The guy is one of the most accomplished college football coaches of all time, he led the best 3-year run in USC history, beat Clemson 5 years in a row, notched more wins vs. ranked teams than any USC coach, and never signed a recruiting class ranked outside the top 25. Less than 2 years before he stepped aside, he led USC to a #4 overall finish (the best in school history). And unlike Holtz, he knew when it was time to step aside give someone else a shot.

No one denies that Spurrier led us to the best seasons this school has ever had. The problem is that he admittedly quit working while Clemson was eating our lunch in recruiting. We beat Clemson 5 years in a row, we had 3 straight 11 win seasons and top 10 finishes, and yet Clemson killed us in recruiting by outworking us.

More importantly, here are the national team rankings for the 11 recruiting classes Spurrier signed at USC:

2015 - 19
2014 - 16
2013 - 16
2012 - 19
2011 - 18
2010 - 24
2009 - 12
2008 - 22
2007 - 6
2006 - 24
2005 - 23

The problem is that 1. Those classes ended up not being any good and 2. Spurrier torpedoed our recruiting for 2014 by saying he would only coach another 3 years. The success we had from 2010 to 2013 should have resulted in much better recruiting. But Spurrier was cracking on Saban for not golfing more.

You see, when you have 3 straight 11 win seasons, there shouldn't be rebuilding seasons. That's the kind of sustained success that a hard working coach can use to sustain solid seasons in the future. And if there are "rebuilding" seasons, they sure as heck aren't 3 win seasons with a loss to Citadel. Our "rebuilding" seasons should have been 6 or 7 win seasons at the worst.

Also, when did the rebuilding process end? Last I heard we had a losing record last year. That ain't my definition of "rebuilt."

Some fans think we should be "thankful" that Spurrier deemed our lowly little school as worthy of his coaching. I'm of the opinion that we have a big boy athletic department with big boy ticket costs and a big boy tv deal and we deserve big boy coaches and big boy results on the field.

I'm glad we had Spurrier from 2005-circa 2013 and I appreciate that he brought us a ton of press and a solid amount of success for a few seasons. But our program got flushed down the commode about as fast as any #4 team ever did. Until we get back to going to good bowl games and beating Clemson, yeah, I'm gonna be a little bit bitter about how we didn't capitalize on our success better. I still like Spurrier, but it's just painful that we had a chance to really be a power in the SEC East and let it slip away under his watch.

Anyway, I like Muschamp so far and think he did a good coaching job his first season. It is a shame he didn't inherit a more successful program.

Yes, thank you for reminding me that he cracked on saban for working so hard. I think we see the difference it makes. I hate it but Clemson staff is the same way. The results speak for themselves. 33 wins in 3 years should result in top 10 recruiting classes. We can't even win the east when it is as bad as it has ever been. I know I come across as discouraged but I have been going to games since 1976 and I still no championship on the horizon, even conference. Sorry, it's a bitter pill to swallow.

No one denies that Spurrier led us to the best seasons this school has ever had. The problem is that he admittedly quit working while Clemson was eating our lunch in recruiting. We beat Clemson 5 years in a row, we had 3 straight 11 win seasons and top 10 finishes, and yet Clemson killed us in recruiting by outworking us.

The problem is that 1. Those classes ended up not being any good and 2. Spurrier torpedoed our recruiting for 2014 by saying he would only coach another 3 years. The success we had from 2010 to 2013 should have resulted in much better recruiting. But Spurrier was cracking on Saban for not golfing more.

You see, when you have 3 straight 11 win seasons, there shouldn't be rebuilding seasons. That's the kind of sustained success that a hard working coach can use to sustain solid seasons in the future. And if there are "rebuilding" seasons, they sure as heck aren't 3 win seasons with a loss to Citadel. Our "rebuilding" seasons should have been 6 or 7 win seasons at the worst.

Also, when did the rebuilding process end? Last I heard we had a losing record last year. That ain't my definition of "rebuilt."

Some fans think we should be "thankful" that Spurrier deemed our lowly little school as worthy of his coaching. I'm of the opinion that we have a big boy athletic department with big boy ticket costs and a big boy tv deal and we deserve big boy coaches and big boy results on the field.

I'm glad we had Spurrier from 2005-circa 2013 and I appreciate that he brought us a ton of press and a solid amount of success for a few seasons. But our program got flushed down the commode about as fast as any #4 team ever did. Until we get back to going to good bowl games and beating Clemson, yeah, I'm gonna be a little bit bitter about how we didn't capitalize on our success better. I still like Spurrier, but it's just painful that we had a chance to really be a power in the SEC East and let it slip away under his watch.

Anyway, I like Muschamp so far and think he did a good coaching job his first season. It is a shame he didn't inherit a more successful program.

Has clemson put any $ into academics or is it all athletics? Feel like you never hear about a new building up there unless it's for the football team

I find no grounds for argument.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT