ADVERTISEMENT

XT has a message for Gamecock Nation........

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Clemson fan, I would agree with this completely. I suspect that most folks on Clemson/USC boards would as well. However, you have to realize that we are a rabid bunch... MOST people actually don't feel this way.

My wife and I met at Clemson. She got her BS and MS degrees from Clemson. She then got her PhD from USC. She pulls for Clemson when they play USC, but otherwise has no problems with rooting for USC. She was pleased at your run in basketball this season, while I was just trying not to vomit...

So there you go. Not everyone who "grew up" a Clemson fan hates USC and vice versa. Personally, I think that he was all USC until he went to IMG. Those kids down there are in it to get to the NFL and they are all business. That gave Clemson a shot. And right now, his path to the NFL is easier through Clemson. Sure, he's going to the NFL anyway because he's that talented. But at Clemson, he's going to be one of four really strong DL and you can't double team everyone. At USC, he's going to be the center of attention. Teams can game plan around him. He simply has a better opportunity to shine at Clemson for 3 years and be gone after that.
This is an excellent and well-reasoned post.

I understand that not everyone is an intense as we are as Gamecock fans. I know that people have to make decisions that they feel are best for their career and future. That makes a lot of sense than just blindly going to one school no matter what. I get that. What I don't get is why he has to get on Twitter and talk smack. It really reflects poorly on him and makes most of us glad that he's not coming here.

I understand that not everyone is an intense as we are as Gamecock fans. I know that people have to make decisions that they feel are best for their career and future. That makes a lot of sense than just blindly going to one school no matter what. I get that. What I don't get is why he has to get on Twitter and talk smack. It really reflects poorly on him and makes most of us glad that he's not coming here.
Immaturity.

giphy.gif

Reactions: vehemon
We looked like HS JV GIRLS playing men.

He can have a really good 3 years at clemson because he won't play much competition. We will then pull recruits who want to play in the premier conference. Yeah, I know...Clemson's good. That doesn't meant he conference is.

Vegas has three ACC Atlantic division teams in the top ten most likely to win the National Championship in 2017 by odds, with Clemson least likely of the three. There are no teams from the SEC East, and only Alabama from the SEC West as one of the 10 most likely to win it all. Your view is myopic, and inaccurate.

Reactions: cp1275
Clemson was buoyed to the National Championship game by a special QB.......No doubt they had excellent players and coaches around them, but I think Watson was the key. I have gotten less pissed about it in the last month. It is what it it is. I have always said the key to winning is having a sales guy coach like Dabo.

Vegas has three ACC Atlantic division teams in the top ten most likely to win the National Championship in 2017 by odds, with Clemson least likely of the three. There are no teams from the SEC East, and only Alabama from the SEC West as one of the 10 most likely to win it all. Your view is myopic, and inaccurate.

Will you come back and post here if Auburn beats Clemson?

The easiest path to the NFL argument is weak, at best. Muschamp has been sending defensive players to the NFL for a very long time. We have a staff full of great recruiters that will sign good players for us. We missed on XT, so let's move on and find the players that want to be Gamecocks.

Reactions: Coppertopp
As a Clemson fan, I would agree with this completely. I suspect that most folks on Clemson/USC boards would as well. However, you have to realize that we are a rabid bunch... MOST people actually don't feel this way.

My wife and I met at Clemson. She got her BS and MS degrees from Clemson. She then got her PhD from USC. She pulls for Clemson when they play USC, but otherwise has no problems with rooting for USC. She was pleased at your run in basketball this season, while I was just trying not to vomit...

So there you go. Not everyone who "grew up" a Clemson fan hates USC and vice versa. Personally, I think that he was all USC until he went to IMG. Those kids down there are in it to get to the NFL and they are all business. That gave Clemson a shot. And right now, his path to the NFL is easier through Clemson. Sure, he's going to the NFL anyway because he's that talented. But at Clemson, he's going to be one of four really strong DL and you can't double team everyone. At USC, he's going to be the center of attention. Teams can game plan around him. He simply has a better opportunity to shine at Clemson for 3 years and be gone after that.
LOL, he has a better chance to shine because the level of competition is much less . I believe he plays DE. Ever heard of Clowney? If the kid knows he's elite it's been proven he has just a good a chance playing in the NFL by going to USC. Your comments are ridiculous. Nobody stopped Clowney. Double or triple team and the talent bed was facing in the SEC was superior to the ACC. The NFL scouts were aware of this.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
The easiest path to the NFL argument is weak, at best. Muschamp has been sending defensive players to the NFL for a very long time. We have a staff full of great recruiters that will sign good players for us. We missed on XT, so let's move on and find the players that want to be Gamecocks.

CWM did not recruit Skai Moore, but Skai was a 4-star recruit, who has played lights out for us. We'll see how 5-star XT works out. Did XT sign a LOI? Having said that, it's a long year before national signing day. Who knows what will happen. Ever heard of Robert Nkemdiche?

Last edited:
LOL, he has a better chance to shine because the level of competition is much less . I believe he plays DE. Ever heard of Clowney? If the kid knows he's elite it's been proven he has just a good a chance playing in the NFL by going to USC. Your comments are ridiculous. Nobody stopped Clowney. Double or triple team and the talent bed was facing in the SEC was superior to the ACC. The NFL scouts were aware of this.
...then I'd say it comes down to this
http://www.tigernet.com/update/Boulware-shows-handful-diamond-covered-football-rings-26579?ref=front

vs this

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/95/d9/d095d95f49091d82771c89377d6ee990.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: culbersonmike0

First of Clowney was a freak of nature, kind of like Watson, but even more so. Comparing other players to him is simply not reasonable. HOWEVER, I’d say that he was much more dominate in his Sophomore year simply b/c you had other DL guys that were good as well. He had a harder time his Junior year. Not that he wasn’t great, but he didn’t make as many plays BECAUSE he was being double and triple teamed.

No one’s doubting that XT has NFL talent. No one’s doubting that if he came to USC he’d still be NFL bound. I’m saying that the path is easier (and less risky), b/c he has better players surrounding him at Clemson. Ever hear of Marcus Lattimore? Superior talent, great character, everything you could ask for in a RB. Had all the talent in the world and seemed a sure thing for the NFL. BUT he went to USC and got the shiit beat out of him b/c he didn’t have the supporting cast to help him out. He got run 30 times a game (kind of like Bama does) but he didn’t have the blocking that Bama backs do. Sure, he could have been injured at any school, but when you are the MAN (and there’s no one else to help carry that load), your risk factors skyrocket.

BTW, do you know who played the toughest schedule in the nation last year? Clemson. Not top 10… THE toughest. Wake up man, it’s 2017, NOT 2007. The SEC is a one team conference, followed by a bunch of decent, but not great teams. And the SEC East just plain sucks. That “SEC is the best” card doesn’t play like it used to. Check those Vegas odds on who wins the NC not a lot of SEC teams in the top 10.

Reactions: carobok
Oh, I can definitely see where a few ACC teams stand a good chance of running the table on a bunch of candy-ass FB teams. I just don't think that makes 3 of them top 10 material. Chack back at end of season and we'll see how many of the mighty, mighty ACC are even top 20, preparing to be exposed in a bowl as complete pretenders.

For the record, I'd still give the nod to CU until someone knocks them off.

Move on! I'm tired of all the drama, crying, Clemsux paid him, and all the other 100 excuses. Sure, our staff wanted him badly. He may turn out great or he may be a bust. I could care less. He made his decision for whatever they were. Time for the staff to find other top talent who want to be Gamecocks. Whatever went down does sound a little bazaar, maybe we were played, who knows. I'm done with him and could care less but wish him well in Datboys world.
I Agree!

First of Clowney was a freak of nature, kind of like Watson, but even more so. Comparing other players to him is simply not reasonable. HOWEVER, I’d say that he was much more dominate in his Sophomore year simply b/c you had other DL guys that were good as well. He had a harder time his Junior year. Not that he wasn’t great, but he didn’t make as many plays BECAUSE he was being double and triple teamed.

No one’s doubting that XT has NFL talent. No one’s doubting that if he came to USC he’d still be NFL bound. I’m saying that the path is easier (and less risky), b/c he has better players surrounding him at Clemson. Ever hear of Marcus Lattimore? Superior talent, great character, everything you could ask for in a RB. Had all the talent in the world and seemed a sure thing for the NFL. BUT he went to USC and got the shiit beat out of him b/c he didn’t have the supporting cast to help him out. He got run 30 times a game (kind of like Bama does) but he didn’t have the blocking that Bama backs do. Sure, he could have been injured at any school, but when you are the MAN (and there’s no one else to help carry that load), your risk factors skyrocket.

BTW, do you know who played the toughest schedule in the nation last year? Clemson. Not top 10… THE toughest. Wake up man, it’s 2017, NOT 2007. The SEC is a one team conference, followed by a bunch of decent, but not great teams. And the SEC East just plain sucks. That “SEC is the best” card doesn’t play like it used to. Check those Vegas odds on who wins the NC not a lot of SEC teams in the top 10.

Over the last 20 years, 5 different SEC teams won 12 football national championships, including 7 in a row by 4 different teams from 2006-2012.

We'll all collectively chant .... A-C-C .... A-C-C .... A-C-C when you guys do that. Until then we'll just admit that it is hard to be the dominant conference in a sport for 10-20 years straight without a lull somewhere along the way.

Reactions: BigTomE
Oh, I can definitely see where a few ACC teams stand a good chance of running the table on a bunch of candy-ass FB teams. I just don't think that makes 3 of them top 10 material. Chack back at end of season and we'll see how many of the mighty, mighty ACC are even top 20, preparing to be exposed in a bowl as complete pretenders.

For the record, I'd still give the nod to CU until someone knocks them off.

Why don't we check back at the end of last season, where the ACC finished 6-2 and the SEC finished 3-4. Or you can check the ACC record vs the SEC. You don't even have to wait a year.

Over the last 20 years, 5 different SEC teams won 12 football national championships, including 7 in a row by 4 different teams from 2006-2012.

We'll all collectively chant .... A-C-C .... A-C-C .... A-C-C when you guys do that. Until then we'll just admit that it is hard to be the dominant conference in a sport for 10-20 years straight without a lull somewhere along the way.

We have no need to chant A-C-C anymore than Alabama chants S-E-C.

Reactions: wmnesbitt
We have no need to chant A-C-C anymore than Alabama chants S-E-C.

Ok, take Bama out of the equation, and 4 other SEC teams won NC's. When 4 other ACC teams have done that we'll talk about conference pairity. Until them you should just shut up with the conference talk. Enjoy the current ACC success, it will not last very long.

Reactions: BigTomE

Did Clemson play the toughest regular season schedule? Hardly! I give credit for beating OSU and AL, but it's kinda like March Madness. You can't win if you don't get in. Just getting to the CFP is 80% of the battle. Your regular season schedule was better than in recent years, but you hardly played a bunch of world beaters.

Agree right now the acc is much better but to be a powerhouse conference you need more than just a couple of good years! the last few years yes the sec has not been as good but for MANY years before that they were the best.

Reactions: hopefultiger16
Agree right now the acc is much better but to be a powerhouse conference you need more than just a couple of good years! the last few years yes the sec has not been as good but for MANY years before that they were the best.

This is absolutely correct and I'm not disputing that at all. From about the mid 2000s until just a couple of years ago, the SEC was the undisputed best football conference in America and it wasn't even close. I do expect the SEC to come back from a few "down" years. We'll see if the ACC returns to being a crappy conference.

My original point was about XT playing in the SEC and his path to the NFL. That's all about the "NOW" (and going forward a couple of years). So while I'm on board with the SEC from an historical perspective, RIGHT NOW, it's got Bama (the best team in the country) and a bunch of decent teams. That is NOT the domination the SEC has had in the past, BUT that's what XT is evaluating now.

Did Clemson play the toughest regular season schedule? Hardly! I give credit for beating OSU and AL, but it's kinda like March Madness. You can't win if you don't get in. Just getting to the CFP is 80% of the battle. Your regular season schedule was better than in recent years, but you hardly played a bunch of world beaters.

Turns out that you are correct. Clemson played the 3rd most difficult schedule. Bama, Ohio State, and Clemson are the top 3 and separated by .5 rating points. The next highest is a full 3 points below Clemson. I bet you don't say that about Bama and they didn't play a team with less than 4 losses until they got to the playoffs. And they have THE toughest schedule.

Clicky

This is absolutely correct and I'm not disputing that at all. From about the mid 2000s until just a couple of years ago, the SEC was the undisputed best football conference in America and it wasn't even close. I do expect the SEC to come back from a few "down" years. We'll see if the ACC returns to being a crappy conference.

My original point was about XT playing in the SEC and his path to the NFL. That's all about the "NOW" (and going forward a couple of years). So while I'm on board with the SEC from an historical perspective, RIGHT NOW, it's got Bama (the best team in the country) and a bunch of decent teams. That is NOT the domination the SEC has had in the past, BUT that's what XT is evaluating now.

Will your opinion change if Auburn, a "decent" SEC team (your words) beats Clemson (the best ACC team)?

Same people predicted USC to have a stellar season in 2014 too.

The Auburn and Alabama alum are close to IMG, aren't they? Not to mention Ole Miss. There is going to be some $ floated his way. His "no chance" lock for Clemson is very tenuous. Money talks. Alabama and Auburn know how to buy a good player when they want one.

As far as which conference has better football players, maybe the NFL draft data will be the best metric. I think the ACC is second among the P5, which is pretty good. There is a big gap between 1 and 2 though in terms of numbers.

I do think the ACC has better FB coaches than the SEC.

Last edited:
The Auburn and Alabama alum are close to IMG, aren't they? Not to mention Ole Miss. There is going to be some $ floated his way. His "no chance" lock for Clemson is very tenuous. Money talks. Alabama and Auburn know how to buy a good player when they want one.

As far as which conference has better football players, maybe the NFL draft data will be the best metric. I think the ACC is second among the P5, which is pretty good. There is a big gap between 1 and 2 though in terms of numbers.

I do think the ACC has better FB coaches than the SEC.

Are u cherry picking the last couple of years. All time? Last 10-20 years? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT