ADVERTISEMENT

You cannot win big at football here

I'm talking about big games. The OP said nothing about championships.
Oh, like the games we blew each of our historically best years that prevented us from reaching the SEC championship game. I look at those years and think, that was nice but...

No offense but we haven't won a conference championship and have only won the east once in my lifetime. Spurrier's time was a flash in the pan. We are too afraid to take big steps, clean house in all areas that have not produced including the AD.
Well not everyone had a QB who partied all night before the SECC, so we were unfairly handicapped. Not to mention that Cam Newton was pretty much an unstoppable force.

Reactions: Brace1
Well not everyone had a QB who partied all night before the SECC, so we were unfairly handicapped. Not to mention that Cam Newton was pretty much an unstoppable force.

Totally get what you're saying. My point was just that we have not worked towards anything sustainable. The program has no true leadership and we need to start with the AD. He has made so many bad decisions and will continue to make them because he's everyone's buddy.

Not in this conference....
Spurrier Proved Otherwise. We knew our HFC Job wasn't and Isn't a Quick Fix, We still have a chance to Go .500. 6-6. We just got Beat by the reigning Natl Champs Who Could be Back to Back Champions. Beamer Needs Time to Fix this,

Reactions: cockofdawn
Listen, there us truth to this thread. With the current landscape, which won't change anytime soon, USC can't recruit with Clemson, UGA, Bama, and others they need to beat to be relevant. And I am not sure that is the aim of the athletic program right now. If that were the case, you don't hire Shane Beamer. He came very cheap and had a familiar name because of his daddy. But I never heard of him being even considered for any other decent job. Much less an SEC job. So it is, what it is. A mediocre program that will not in the near future amass the talent to be a threat, but the university is more than satisfied as they continue to cash those SEC checks.

Spurrier Proved Otherwise. We knew our HFC Job wasn't and Isn't a Quick Fix, We still have a chance to Go .500. 6-6. We just got Beat by the reigning Natl Champs Who Could be Back to Back Champions. Beamer Needs Time to Fix this,
Spurrier didnt have to win to get good players here. Beamer will have to. If he doesn't do what is necessary to make that happen, and that's pretty much limited to coaching decisions and moves, he is destined to fail imo. If he drags his feet on that, well I dont see how that can be to his advantage either.

Spurrier didnt have to win to get good players here. Beamer will have to. If he doesn't do what is necessary to make that happen, and that's pretty much limited to coaching decisions and moves, he is destined to fail imo. If he drags his feet on that, well I dont see how that can be to his advantage either.

There is a window for a new coach to show something to generate excitement in recruits.

There is a honeymoon phase where just being the new coach does that. If he fails to show excitement and positive momentum, then players see that and recruiting suffers.

Thought that was before Florida State game.
I'm thinking of Atlanta.
giphy.webp

• Haha
Reactions: Heyward1
No offense but we haven't won a conference championship and have only won the east once in my lifetime. Spurrier's time was a flash in the pan. We are too afraid to take big steps, clean house in all areas that have not produced including the AD.
I completely agree, Tanner has to be the absolute worst, he knows baseball, but nothing else, time to cut ties and fire his ass, and if the president won't do it, fire him and get someone in that will

Reactions: Heyward1
Maybe you can never win a championship here, but the potential is there to be nationally relevant. Spurrier proved that. Beamer will have to have the intestinal fortitude to make the unpleasant decisions to fire people, including people he likes, in order to achieve that potential. He has yet to show that fortitude.

Serious hypothetical question.
Would you rather remain in the SEC, finishing where the Gamecocks are now, and continue playing the SEC schedule and cashing the SEC checks or would you rather join a non Power 5 conference where you would be guaranteed a 1st or 2nd place conference finish every year?

Spurrier proved you can win here. What we're lacking is leadership. Columbia is 100x a more political environment than Clempson. We can't hide out in the woods and shut the world out and get away with whatever we want. Being THE state university and placed in the capital city eyes are always on us. The BOT has always been a problem, and we've rarely had an AD worth a damn. Mike McGee was a good one for sure.

Reactions: tngamecock#
It's not the time it takes to fix it that worries me. It's the ability to fix it that I am doubtful of.

Reactions: gcockwin
Exactly. In today's world you had better show something and show it quickly. Take Arkansas for example. Crappy team 2 years ago at 3-7. Now you would hardly recognize them as the same bunch. They've taken on their head coaches personality, as teams often do. He came on board knowing exactly who he wanted them to be and what he wanted them to be able to do.

We have no clue what direction we're headed in. We do not have an identity. Have shown ZERO improvement from last year. We literally look like the same hapless team. That's the difference. There's nothing pointing to this coaching staff's ability to coach their way out of this.

Ironically, Spurrier's proposals for both the NIL and CFP modification could help us tremendously. Something like this is far more important to the USC Football Program than finding another needle-in-the-haystack coach.

On NIL:
“I don’t like the idea of buying the players before they get there or giving them money before they get there. My suggestion would be go back to the original recruiting rules,” Spurrier said. “After a player gets to a college, he does very well, he can do a deal and endorse. If something wants to pay him a bunch of money, then it’s perfectly all right. But they have to come and play one year, and then, you know, it’s a free country.”

On CFP:
“I used to say eight, but now I would say 16. The top teams are still probably going to win, but we can use all the bowls around the country to get those games and you work it all down,” Spurrier said. “They have 64, I think, in baseball. Sixty-eight in basketball have a shot at it. Football, we just have four of the big teams, and it’s about (the) same ones every year. I’d like to see them expand it a bit.”

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...ollege-football-playoff-expansion/9968270002/

Ironically, Spurrier's proposals for both the NIL and CFP modification could help us tremendously. Something like this is far more important to the USC Football Program than finding another needle-in-the-haystack coach.

On NIL:
“I don’t like the idea of buying the players before they get there or giving them money before they get there. My suggestion would be go back to the original recruiting rules,” Spurrier said. “After a player gets to a college, he does very well, he can do a deal and endorse. If something wants to pay him a bunch of money, then it’s perfectly all right. But they have to come and play one year, and then, you know, it’s a free country.”

On CFP:
“I used to say eight, but now I would say 16. The top teams are still probably going to win, but we can use all the bowls around the country to get those games and you work it all down,” Spurrier said. “They have 64, I think, in baseball. Sixty-eight in basketball have a shot at it. Football, we just have four of the big teams, and it’s about (the) same ones every year. I’d like to see them expand it a bit.”

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...ollege-football-playoff-expansion/9968270002/
Spurrier gets it. The CFP and NIL programs have turned the college football into corporate football. It's a rich get richer system for the select few year after year.

We won the East and if Cam Newton hadn't been cleared to play in the SEC CG We would have had a Chance to Win it.
And if Auburn’s entire team got food poisoning, USC would have definitely won…….Cam Newton was the QB and he stomped USC, so what’s the point of this statement? That USC can win championships if other teams sit their best players?

There is no reason we should not win. Our facilities are as good as any. Was fortunate enough to get a guided tour some time back and was highly impressed. We got it all in place in the physical facilities department.

3 straight Top 10 finishes...and one of them was Top 5. Losers have short memories.
Spurrier was awesome but there were some exceptionally good players in state that he got, moreso than the sate normally produces and the Florida and UT programs hit historic lows while he was there, plus he owned Clemson right before they got really good and he was always in Richt's head. My point is a lot of things happened to aid the success he had here that others didn't/won't likely see.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT