ADVERTISEMENT

You cannot win big at football here

There is no reason we should not win. Our facilities are as good as any. Was fortunate enough to get a guided tour some time back and was highly impressed. We got it all in place in the physical facilities department.
Nice facilities are a must have these days, but facilities don’t win football games, they are just icing on the cake for recruits. Considering that USC football has only gone downhill as the facilities have improved is testament to that.

Nice facilities are a must have these days, but facilities don’t win football games, they are just icing on the cake for recruits. Considering that USC football has only gone downhill as the facilities have improved is testament to that.
Also, our facility upgrades have mostly been to try to keep pace with what other SEC schools have done. I don't think we have cornered that market. That's pretty much a wash.

Reactions: rogue cock
Ray Tanner is a testament of why it is imperative to have an AD that is not afraid to get rid of unsuccessful personnel in a timely manner and make them earn more money, not give them a large raise after one season

Reactions: The Doctors Back
Can we get any of Clemson's past AD's. They never cared for personal feelings. They fired better coaches than we've had.

We seem to go for around the fourth Coach that we ask to come here. Almost got Kirby and truant down by coaches at smaller schools. Sense Spurrier we just can't get a first choice for a coach. Why does it work like this to us? Does it start at the top or we just doomed. It will be almost WBB and maybe MBB . We need a AD or PRES. to hire the right person like our last AD.

This post makes me think the seinfeld episode "the opposite ". George does everything the opposite of what he has always done. Maybe this program should try that lol.

All we care about is getting those fat SEC welfare checks every year. If we happen to win at something so be it. But officials have shown that winning is not the priority.

Exactly. In today's world you had better show something and show it quickly. Take Arkansas for example. Crappy team 2 years ago at 3-7. Now you would hardly recognize them as the same bunch. They've taken on their head coaches personality, as teams often do. He came on board knowing exactly who he wanted them to be and what he wanted them to be able to do.

We have no clue what direction we're headed in. We do not have an identity. Have shown ZERO improvement from last year. We literally look like the same hapless team. That's the difference. There's nothing pointing to this coaching staff's ability to coach their way out of this.
Arkansas is the only major college in the state of Arkansas, which has about the same population as SC. Most of its best althelets chose to go there. So, it is not difficult to turn that program into a contender in a very short time.
USC is recruiting against Clemson in state and UGA 80 miles over the border in Athens, plus the colleges in North Carolina as well. We may occasionaly get a few 4-5 stars, but mot of the talent in SC right now chooses to go to the schools I just mentioned.

Comparing the two schools is invalid.

Arkansas is the only major college in the state of Arkansas, which has about the same population as SC. Most of its best althelets chose to go there. So, it is not difficult to turn that program into a contender in a very short time.
USC is recruiting against Clemson in state and UGA 80 miles over the border in Athens, plus the colleges in North Carolina as well. We may occasionaly get a few 4-5 stars, but mot of the talent in SC right now chooses to go to the schools I just mentioned.

Great point, I agree. Maybe the culture at USC will change and they start getting many of the local stars, until then, this team will need to over-achieve. Can Beamer get them to that point?? Well we will see in a couple years.

I looked it up, Arkansas has 3 million people, sc has 5.1 million. (Throw in the point from earlier that SC gets players from the Charlotte area as well.)

I'm not sure it's easy to turn Arkansas into a contender, or they wouldn't have been mediocre for so long. I think you have to give some credit to the staff there.

I looked it up, Arkansas has 3 million people, sc has 5.1 million. (Throw in the point from earlier that SC gets players from the Charlotte area as well.)

I'm not sure it's easy to turn Arkansas into a contender, or they wouldn't have been mediocre for so long. I think you have to give some credit to the staff there.
Yeah, I already debunked that "small state theory" in another thread. Currently SC has a population of 5,217,000 to Arkansas to of 3,030,000. Also, Alabama has a population of 5,073,000 with 2 major universities that have powerhouse programs one of which is the most dominant program in the country. Coupled with that is the fact that one of our big recruiting areas is Charlotte which is just across the border only 90 mile from Columbia. It is closer to Columbia than to Chappell Hill and Raleigh. The greater Charlotte area has a population of 1,025,000.

Our problems have nothing to do with the size of our state or the size of our immediate recruiting area. That's just an empty excuse.

Furthermore, Arkansas was in almost exactly in the same position as USC two years ago. They made a great hire and turned the program around in one year winning 9 games and beating some very good teams. They certainly didn't do that with a bunch of freshmen they recruited from the year before.

You cannot win big at football here​

It's true until it's proven not true. No, Spurrier didn't disprove it, as some assert. We won one division championship with three conference losses and that's only been done twice. The other team that did it got drilled in Atlanta also, although not as badly as we did.

And if Spurrier did disprove it, which he didn't, all he proved is that you cannot scratch in football here without a premier coach not yet past his days of usefulness. Anything less than a premier coach still on his game cannot succeed here. Such a coach cannot succeed anyway without significant slippage at Georgia, Florida, and/or Tennessee.

In addition, Georgia has a LONG history of recruiting the best players in the Charlotte area.

They aren't the only school that does that but UGA has been doing that for decades, especially lineman. To a lesser degree- Tennessee historically.

Yeah, I already debunked that "small state theory" in another thread. Currently SC has a population of 5,217,000 to Arkansas to of 3,030,000. Also, Alabama has a population of 5,073,000 with 2 major universities that have powerhouse programs one of which is the most dominant program in the country. Coupled with that is the fact that one of our big recruiting areas is Charlotte which is just across the border only 90 mile from Columbia. It is closer to Columbia than to Chappell Hill and Raleigh. The greater Charlotte area has a population of 1,025,000.

Our problems have nothing to do with the size of our state or the size of our immediate recruiting area. That's just an empty excuse.

Furthermore, Arkansas was in almost exactly in the same position as USC two years ago. They made a great hire and turned the program around in one year winning 9 games and beating some very good teams. They certainly didn't do that with a bunch of freshmen they recruited from the year before.
I think Shane gets it done.. your point about no excuses is spot on. If we try to use geography and size as an excuse, the taters will laugh at us. They r in rhe same boat but it doesn’t hamper them. Excuses are for losers.

For some of our posters on the same note….saying fire a coach after every game is for losers too.

Shane is great and has my FULL support.

He will get 3-4 years and deserves it. Proud to have him here and look forward to seeing what he will do through the “ups and downs.”

No judgment will be made on him this year no matter what happens.

And if we lose 50-0 today, I’ll repost the same comment again this evening at some point.

Now, it’s time for the lake.

Everybody seems for forget that we lost to Vandy in year 3 and 4 under Spurrier, and he inherited a better situation than Beamer did.

Winning here will take a long time, and a LOT of NIL money.

Reactions: DeeDave
Spurrier gets it. The CFP and NIL programs have turned the college football into corporate football. It's a rich get richer system for the select few year after year.
It’s always been that way. Have you never sat in a box at Williams Brice and watched the entire athletic department and university leadership, including key legislative people whining and dining corporate folks? It’s been routine for decades.

Reactions: rogue cock
We seem to go for around the fourth Coach that we ask to come here. Almost got Kirby and truant down by coaches at smaller schools. Sense Spurrier we just can't get a first choice for a coach. Why does it work like this to us? Does it start at the top or we just doomed. It will be almost WBB and maybe MBB . We need a AD or PRES. to hire the right person like our last AD.
The one who kept Odom and then hired Horn as his replacement??

Reactions: cockofdawn
I would prefer the AD that hired Lou, Spurrier and Dawn S. not Horn and Odom at least had won 2 NIT championship.

It’s always been that way. Have you never sat in a box at Williams Brice and watched the entire athletic department and university leadership, including key legislative people whining and dining corporate folks? It’s been routine for decades.
Right - but the CFP and NIL ramp that up 10-fold. The network effects of the CFP has created an echo chamber for recruiting and the numbers back that up. The NIL further decreases parity as NIL resources vary greatly among teams. For example, below is a non-profit setup to give Texas OL $50k a year and that's just one source of income for them.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/07/texas-offensive-line-nil-deal-nonprofit

Right - but the CFP and NIL ramp that up 10-fold. The network effects of the CFP has created an echo chamber for recruiting and the numbers back that up. The NIL further decreases parity as NIL resources vary greatly among teams. For example, below is a non-profit setup to give Texas OL $50k a year and that's just one source of income for them.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/07/texas-offensive-line-nil-deal-nonprofit
I agree, the schools with huge NIL resources are going to be the main beneficiaries of NIL. The scotus and in turn ncaa have legalized cheating. But when the schools are making tens of millions off tv deals and coaches are making ten million a year it just exposed the entire system in a very negative light (Exploitation).

The biggest contributor IMO is the transfer portal. Now kids can just up and go to another school without consequence. Even the coaches have buyouts. So, players are free to simply go to the highest bidder every year now and that is going to kill the sport as we know it.

Reactions: turncock
I would prefer the AD that hired Lou, Spurrier and Dawn S. not Horn and Odom at least had won 2 NIT championship.
That would be Mike McGee. Good at getting some big name coaches.....not so good at keeping up with facility improvements. He was one of the reasona we fell so far behind in facilities.

I think one reason is....you are going against teams that have many years of football tradition which we do not have. teams like fla,tenn, uga have had great teams for many years. I would say KY is close to where we were with spurrier but come on they have little shot at winning sec.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT