ADVERTISEMENT

You know you are getting old if you can remember (fill in the blank).

Watching Ultraman
9.jpg
Plan Nine from Outter Space is coming on overnight 2:45 AM on TCM I think. Look it up, record it, worst movie ever made. It was made when I was two.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Not exactly what you're asking, but I always feel old when I catch myself commenting on how much trees have grown in a certain area.

Being sad that the only drive-in theater in Greenwood was being torn down but kinda happy because they were putting in the first K-Mart which was pretty big time.

Speaking of K-Mart - blue-light specials and Icee's.

Also realized recently that most of the grade schools I went to have been torn down.

That’s good stuff. I remember USC having a horrible game against Clemson when I was a student and a few guys got into a scuffle under the basket. For a brief second I considered running on the court. Went from the 4th to front row pretty quick. I probably would’ve been beaten to a pulp had I actually went out there.

Here's how naive I was. Didn't know my student ID got me a free ticket. My sister was a senior at Spring Valley and worked at the Mall and Mike Brittain (sp) came in and hit on her, and somehow I was supposed to get tickets for her and me. She backed out last minute and I went by myself, lady giving out student tickets asked me how many (it was a TV game) and I said 1, so she felt sorry for me for being a loser with no friendsand gave me a seat about 6 feet behind the ND bench.
It was great. We lost. John Paxton killed us, if memory serves, but it was great.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Here's how naive I was. Didn't know my student ID got me a free ticket. My sister was a senior at Spring Valley and worked at the Mall and Mike Brittain (sp) came in and hit on her, and somehow I was supposed to get tickets for her and me. She backed out last minute and I went by myself, lady giving out student tickets asked me how many (it was a TV game) and I said 1, so she felt sorry for me for being a loser with no friendsand gave me a seat about 6 feet behind the ND bench.
It was great. We lost. John Paxton killed us, if memory serves, but it was great.

That’s a good one. I held on to that student ID for a couple of years after school and networked to get tickets for a few years after the fact. Even went to the SEC Tournament at the Georgia Dome one year and was surprised to learn I could get a $10 ticket even though USC was eliminated. It was the year we lost to Ole miss in round one when Odom was coaching. Watched a great game between Kentucky and LSU. Probably still have that ID somewhere.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Rotary phones, mood rings, teachers had paddles...and used them, no seat belt, three channels on tv, cruising the Beacon, South 29 theatre (Spartanburg people know this one and I’m ashamed I went there), Hardees had customers after breakfast, moon landing, Elvis died, I believed the news, Frank McGuire, Jim Carlin, bottle openers, good night John boy, etc... born in the sixties, child of the seventies.

Last edited:
Not exactly what you're asking, but I always feel old when I catch myself commenting on how much trees have grown in a certain area.

Being sad that the only drive-in theater in Greenwood was being torn down but kinda happy because they were putting in the first K-Mart which was pretty big time.

Speaking of K-Mart - blue-light specials and Icee's.

Also realized recently that most of the grade schools I went to have been torn down.
Greenwood drive in is alive and doing great with 3 screens.

Warming siren that preceded the TNT blast at the rock quarry (Old Piedmont Hwy. just south of Greenville)

Huntey & Brinkley hosting the NBC Nightly News

Your parent(s) sticking out their arm to keep you from toppling over/forward while you were standing on the front seat as they stepped on the break pedal

Last edited:
Saturday morning cartoons
It was like 4 hours straight from 8 to 12. Yet today my kids don’t even know we have a working tv in the house. LOL. Maybe one problem is that everything is perpetually on demand now rather than a once a week treat and when it’s over it’s over.

On the other hand, I also remember my parents letting me eat ungodly amounts of cookies and chips any time I wanted. My friends that grew up in the 80s have similarly wondered what in the world our parents were thinking.

Rotary phones, mood rings, teachers had paddles...and used them, no seat belt, three channels on tv, cruising the Beacon, South 29 theatre (Spartanburg people know this one and I’m ashamed I went there), Hardees had customers after breakfast, moon landing, Elvis died, I believed the news, Frank McGuire, Jim Carlin, bottle openers, good night John boy, etc... born in the sixties, child of the seventies.
Former running back George Rogers said Carlen was like a father to him and said his coach deserved much of the credit for his 1980 Heisman Trophy.

“If we didn’t have him, there probably wouldn’t have been a Heisman Trophy,”

That’s a good one. I held on to that student ID for a couple of years after school and networked to get tickets for a few years after the fact. Even went to the SEC Tournament at the Georgia Dome one year and was surprised to learn I could get a $10 ticket even though USC was eliminated. It was the year we lost to Ole miss in round one when Odom was coaching. Watched a great game between Kentucky and LSU. Probably still have that ID somewhere.

Wait a second. Odom coached in 2000s ... that was like just yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT