ADVERTISEMENT

You know you are getting old if you can remember (fill in the blank).

Rin Tin Tin
Cutting neighbor's lawns for 4 hours and pocketing $2.25
Gas wars......
Mom's home cooking every Sunday after church
Being hall monitor in grammar school....wore the sash

But no, don't remember the Gros.????

We didn't treat hall monitors too kindly at my grade school. LOL! Except back then they were called patrol boys.

Reactions: uscedge21
It was like 4 hours straight from 8 to 12. Yet today my kids don’t even know we have a working tv in the house. LOL. Maybe one problem is that everything is perpetually on demand now rather than a once a week treat and when it’s over it’s over.

On the other hand, I also remember my parents letting me eat ungodly amounts of cookies and chips any time I wanted. My friends that grew up in the 80s have similarly wondered what in the world our parents were thinking.

In all likelihood, your parents didn't have those luxuries when they were kids and hence wanted you to have the things they didn't have.

Last edited:
Clutch Cargo

Swede Hanson

Leaving on vacation for two weeks without even locking the doors at your house.

Full Service Gas Stations

Learning exactly where to park my VW Bug so that I could get it rolling and pop the clutch to start it if necessary.
Came here to post Full Service gas stations.

Also, 'Roos tennis shoes.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Wait a second. Odom coached in 2000s ... that was like just yesterday.

I was in college during the Fogler years, but was able to stretch that college ID several years into the Odom regime. I “lost” my ID late in my senior year and got a new one so I would have the latest version as long as possible

Reactions: SCexpat38
As a boy, visiting my grandmother for a week in the summer and sleeping on the big bed in the front room near the window. Light streamed in all night from the street light in front of her house. She lived on Dunlop Street in Marion, S.C. Walking with her (she never owned a car) to the A&P "uptown" almost every day to pick up a few groceries. She had a little cart that she pushed. She could take a big block of cheese and turn it into the best pimento cheese anyone has ever tasted. And being out in her garden every day which she cared for with my great-aunt, who lived with her. And being carried for rides out in the country in the evenings with the windows down, driven by another great-aunt who had a car but no air-conditioning - just to get out of the house. And I remember how cool the movie theater was when she took me to the "picture show" because it had air-conditioning but the house did not. And a 23" black-and-white TV with rabbit ears that could get only one channel - channel 13 in Florence. And every night ended with some Bible verses and prayer.

My Dad's white porcelain Old Spice bottles.
Outfitting your bike with butterfly handlebars and banana seats.
Bactiene. Boy did we ever go through this stuff.
My first band (insert HUGE euphemism here) and navigating through all the cords that went to the mikes, bass, rhythm and lead guitars.
Learning to shave with a razor that felt like a 5lb flyweight. You had to lean very fast how to properly replace the blades.

Rin Tin Tin
Cutting neighbor's lawns for 4 hours and pocketing $2.25
Gas wars......
Mom's home cooking every Sunday after church
Being hall monitor in grammar school....wore the sash

But no, don't remember the Gros.????

I wonder how many families have Sunday dinner like we use to and if everyone in the immediate family eats together on Sunday,

Last edited:
Reactions: uscedge21
Rotary phones, mood rings, teachers had paddles...and used them, no seat belt, three channels on tv, cruising the Beacon, South 29 theatre (Spartanburg people know this one and I’m ashamed I went there), Hardees had customers after breakfast, moon landing, Elvis died, I believed the news, Frank McGuire, Jim Carlin, bottle openers, good night John boy, etc... born in the sixties, child of the seventies.

I’m from Greenville & remember all of these. Inc. a few trips to the Beacon & a couple to South 29 Drive-In!! 😀

As a teenager, reading West Coast Vans magazines and talking your dad into buying you a '63 Chevy van from a local electrician's company for $800. Added blue metal flake paint job, chrome reverse wheels, blue shag carpet and wood paneling. Everyone loved it but my mom who refused to ride in it and made me park in the backyard!

I wonder how many families have Sunday dinner like we use to and if everyone in the immediate family eats together on Sunday,
We did this a lot when I was young. We always ate at my grandparents' house every Easter and Christmas. Some of my extended family still does. My wife's family didn't. So she doesn't feel the need to now.

Exactly what you were doing when you first heard of President Kennedy's assassination.

The above is the first of many things I could mention. LOL!
I had been home from the service in France for about a month, and was with my parents at my aunt's house. She and her husband had an outdoor toilet and that was it. You came to the toilet through a chicken yard. A neighbor came over and told us that "someone had killed that son of a b.....", and we went home and watched tv for three or four days without stopping.

I had been home from the service in France for about a month, and was with my parents at my aunt's house. She and her husband had an outdoor toilet and that was it. You came to the toilet through a chicken yard. A neighbor came over and told us that "someone had killed that son of a b.....", and we went home and watched tv for three or four days without stopping.

A lot of people particularly in the South were rather glad to hear President Kennedy had been assassinated but not me. He was one of two great US Presidents in my lifetime, President Reagan was the other one, imo.

Exactly what you were doing when you first heard of President Kennedy's assassination.

The above is the first of many things I could mention. LOL!
Was in AF and a fellow airman came over and told me about it(he was close to radio). We were all standing around listening to the radio. Our supervisors were mostly civilians in the drafting dept. The head civilian came back and said and I will never forget this-we gotta get back to work even if the President has been shot. What an A-hole. As if an hour would have made any difference.

A lot of people particularly in the South were rather glad to hear President Kennedy had been assassinated but not me. He was one of two great US Presidents in my lifetime, President Reagan was the other one, imo.
I feel that way too, Freddie. I think Kennedy was really smart and would not have gotten us into that war in Vietnam. Reagan was a great President.

Was in AF and a fellow airman came over and told me about it(he was close to radio). We were all standing around listening to the radio. Our supervisors were mostly civilians in the drafting dept. The head civilian came back and said and I will never forget this-we gotta get back to work even if the President has been shot. What an A-hole. As if an hour would have made any difference.

But it was the early 60s and that was the way management was in those days. Thank goodness for better days.

Now I don't remember Clackers. What are they?
A string with two hard acrylic balls attached to the two ends. By holding string in the middle you could knock the balls together, until eventually going up and down with your arm— having the balls colliding above and beneath your hand. Had mine in the 70’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT