ADVERTISEMENT

Your (eventual) 4 team super conferences will have 18 teams each.

12375CAT

Feb 15, 2012
Agree?
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Ain't gonna happen. Hell, such would be a self-inflicted wound so to speak in regards to The SEC.

We're good right now. Of course however, while I am quite sure our commanders (each schools AD's and certain SEC Management Personnel) are always and consistently evaluating further expansion or other adjustments or transitions, man I just don't see such happening anytime soon.

JMHOFWIW

I actually see conferences shedding schools making conferences smaller. I hope it does not happen, but TV dollars have almost reached their peak, I think conferences will start telling schools that they are not apart of the conference. For example, lets look at the ACC, does Wake bring much to the table? I could see the ACC telling Wake to leave the ACC so the other schools could divided Wake's portion of the TV money.

Wake isn't gonna get relegated, wth?

Nobody can/will leave the ACC (exit fee of $50M plus loss of tv rights money thru 2027), the B1G or SEC cuz of tv rights money, or the Pac12 (where would they go?). I think the Big12 is in the most precarious spot of having schools poached.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Wake isn't gonna get relegated, wth?

Nobody can/will leave the ACC (exit fee of $50M plus loss of tv rights money thru 2027), the B1G or SEC cuz of tv rights money, or the Pac12 (where would they go?). I think the Big12 is in the most precarious spot of having schools poached.

So if the ACC could get the same money (or any other conference for that matters) with 2 less schools, you don't think they would exclude those schools? I am not saying within the next 10 years, but down the road it could happen. I think it would be dirty, but I think conferences will look at this as money starts to dry up.

No. The ACC is already considering going to 9 league games in football. The reason? Networks want/need more inventory. More league games not games vs Western Carolina.

Also, WF is a charter member. To my knowledge only Temple was booted from a league (old big east) and they were asked back a few years later.

There has been an idea floated that a move to 4 super conferences would allow for 4 team conference tournaments, with 4 conference championship winners advancing to the National Championship playoff. This would allow the championship post season to be expanded to 16 teams and leave intact the bowl season. I'm not sure how it'll eventually happen, but eventually the playoffs will be expanded.

There has been an idea floated that a move to 4 super conferences would allow for 4 team conference tournaments, with 4 conference championship winners advancing to the National Championship playoff. This would allow the championship post season to be expanded to 16 teams and leave intact the bowl season. I'm not sure how it'll eventually happen, but eventually the playoffs will be expanded.
This could be a realistic thing in the near future.

I think that cord cutting and a la carte pricing will prove to be ESPN's undoing. In the end they are the source of all the crazy money that's been pitched at sports in general the past couple of decades.

Whether they go belly up (or whatever that means since Disney owns them), go through a reorganization in which existing contracts are rewritten, one way or another the ridiculous money is going away.

So unless an 8 (or whatever) game playoff develops into a cash cow like the NCAA Basketball Tournament (kind of doubt it, think the NFL eats into the popularity of this kind of thing too much), I think you will find the superconference trend going away, and even in reverse.

Actually a lot of schools lose money on football. I would not be surprised at all to see some schools drop it, not just for fiscal reasons, but to get away from the liability risk when concussion and CTE cases inevitably hit college football. (Yeah it exists, and yeah I believe college football is where existing cases exacerbate, and new ones arise. Though some of these start in high school.)

There will be a lot of shockwaves that ripple and reflect when the ESPN domino tips. Superconferences espectially so, because without TV money a lot of them don't make sense, case in point West Virginia in the Big 12.

I'd like to see a Super League with the top 20 programs we all know and love. Make it more like the NFL. Picture this.......

North
Notre Dame
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn St.

South
Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Auburn
Texas A&M
Tennessee

I think that cord cutting and a la carte pricing will prove to be ESPN's undoing. In the end they are the source of all the crazy money that's been pitched at sports in general the past couple of decades.

Whether they go belly up (or whatever that means since Disney owns them), go through a reorganization in which existing contracts are rewritten, one way or another the ridiculous money is going away.

So unless an 8 (or whatever) game playoff develops into a cash cow like the NCAA Basketball Tournament (kind of doubt it, think the NFL eats into the popularity of this kind of thing too much), I think you will find the superconference trend going away, and even in reverse.

Actually a lot of schools lose money on football. I would not be surprised at all to see some schools drop it, not just for fiscal reasons, but to get away from the liability risk when concussion and CTE cases inevitably hit college football. (Yeah it exists, and yeah I believe college football is where existing cases exacerbate, and new ones arise. Though some of these start in high school.)

There will be a lot of shockwaves that ripple and reflect when the ESPN domino tips. Superconferences espectially so, because without TV money a lot of them don't make sense, case in point West Virginia in the Big 12.
I don't think so. What's going to end up happening is there's going to be a MASSIVE amount of more transparency on what viewers are willing to pay for.

They are simply going to quit cutting fat contracts for conferences/teams that don't pay a subscription and/or provide a lot of viewers. ESPN is going to get their money at the end of the day... and dish out what's needed to the schools that are helping them get that $ in.

Your (eventual) 4 team super conferences will have 18 teams each.

Schools/members, not "teams."

While I would rather see more conferences with fewer schools in each, I don't see it happening. Temple got the boot due to the size of their football stadium if I recall.
I cannot imagine that any of the power 5 leagues is going to boot a member, if for no other reason that it would cause far too much ill will.

Good points re: ESPN.

I recall reading that when the dust settled, UCONN actually lost money by attending the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago. Turning down such a bowl bid might be good for the financial bottom line, but the school may risk alienating too many supporters in the process.

Very funny Tex. Take it back to TigerNet! Clemson has still loss 6 of the last 10 to South Carolina.

I'd like to see a Super League with the top 20 programs we all know and love. Make it more like the NFL. Picture this.......

North
Notre Dame
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn St.

South
Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Florida
Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Auburn
Texas A&M
Tennessee

Reactions: vehemon

North
Notre Dame
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn St.

South