ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite Restaurant that's NOT in Your Town...

Chanticleer37

Sep 17, 2003
Tell us about a restaurant you love to visit in other cities, when on vacation, or traveling. It shouldn't be a restaurant you can visit regularly...

I have many, but first I'll list the St. Paul Grill in the famed St. Paul Hotel. Not only does it have a fantastic bar:

stpaulgrill-rw-feb-05.jpg

But the beef is absolutely first rate:

StPaulGrillCowboySteak_640.jpg

And you cannot have a steak at the St. Paul Grill without their decadent hash browns:

How-to-cook-hashbrowns-like-a-restaurant-7.jpg

Served upside down, out of a cast iron skillet, these hash browns are imbued with chunks of bacon. So good!

Thus, the SPG is a favorite of mine. The worst part of this must-have experience, 9 months out of the year, is that you're in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Terry Black’s BBQ in Austin Texas is right up there! I was born and raised in SC, but a well done Texas BBQ “smokes” SC pulled pork! Sorry, but it is true... those massive beef ribs that look like they came off a dinosaur! A well done brisket... MAN, we just don’t know what we are doing compared to Texas!

There is lots of good food in Austin BTW.. there was a hotel restaurant we stopped at for apps before we went to a steakhouse one night. My buddy kept preaching about their cornbread.. I was like “mehh cornbread” I mean I love cornbread but what can be done... NOPE I was wrong! They serve it in a cast iron skillet, it has a layer of this sweet crust on top, tender in the middle.. I just cannot describe it! Seriously one of the best things I ever put in my mouth!!!

Well, Chanticleer, I’m officially disappointed with my lunch today after looking at your pictures! Oh well.

I’ll name a few favorites. I live In Greenville so none up here:

- I agree with In-n-out burger. So cheap and good on our west coast trip.
- Midendorf’s seafood in Mississippi. Not even sure which town. It’s an interstate stop off that’s been there for decades.
- Shealey’s BBQ in Leesville, but not for the BBQ. Love the chicken and rice and gravy.
- I hate to name a Disney restaurant, but Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge has the most amazing African flavors. If you are ever in Orlando, even if you hate Disney parks, it’s worth going to this hotel just for this restaurant.
- The Dillard House in the N Georgia mountains. Amazing.

We aren’t really fancy foodies, though. No Michelin five stars on this list

Reactions: Chanticleer37
Well, Chanticleer, I’m officially disappointed with my lunch today after looking at your pictures! Oh well.

I’ll name a few favorites. I live In Greenville so none up here:

- I agree with In-n-out burger. So cheap and good on our west coast trip.
- Midendorf’s seafood in Mississippi. Not even sure which town. It’s an interstate stop off that’s been there for decades.
- Shealey’s BBQ in Leesville, but not for the BBQ. Love the chicken and rice and gravy.
- I hate to name a Disney restaurant, but Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge has the most amazing African flavors. If you are ever in Orlando, even if you hate Disney parks, it’s worth going to this hotel just for this restaurant.
- The Dillard House in the N Georgia mountains. Amazing.

We aren’t really fancy foodies, though. No Michelin five stars on this list
The highest Michelin rating is 3 stars.

Reactions: coolcock2001
I used to love Jestine’s Kitchen in Charleston. Unfortunately a casualty of COVID. The best burgers ever are at Moe’s Crossrown Tavern on Rutledge Ave right up from The Citadel. There’s a little place in Frogmore called Gullah Grub...... the best shrimp you ever put in your mouth! Mary Yoder’s in Middlefield OH is really good Amish food.

Reactions: DrMickey
I used to love Jestine’s Kitchen in Charleston. Unfortunately a casualty of COVID. The best burgers ever are at Moe’s Crossrown Tavern on Rutledge Ave right up from The Citadel. There’s a little place in Frogmore called Gullah Grub...... the best shrimp you ever put in your mouth! Mary Yoder’s in Middlefield OH is really good Amish food.
Yea know, I have been to Mary Yoder's. It's been a long time. I enjoy spending the day in Amish Country.

Reactions: bchav307
I've only been here once, but I have to return to Frank's in Pawley's. Whenever at the beach I have to eat at one of the Murrells Inlet places. Whenever I go someplace new I always try to talk to the locals about their favorite place. Their opinion is usually different from the Yelp! ratings.

Reactions: gcm
Rays on the River is one of very few positive things I can offer about Atlanta
Rays way down yonder on the Chattahoochee River. Dont cha hafta to reserve a table there?? Can't remember honestly. Me and my business partner hit it back in 01. I do recall that it was pretty good though!!

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Tell us about a restaurant you love to visit in other cities, when on vacation, or traveling. It shouldn't be a restaurant you can visit regularly...

I have many, but first I'll list the St. Paul Grill in the famed St. Paul Hotel. Not only does it have a fantastic bar:

And you cannot have a steak at the St. Paul Grill without their decadent hash browns:

Served upside down, out of a cast iron skillet, these hash browns are imbued with chunks of bacon. So good!

Thus, the SPG is a favorite of mine. The worst part of this must-have experience, 9 months out of the year, is that you're in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Loved the fried shrimp at Wayside Inn in Murrells Inlet back in the 70’s. 🙁 Been closed for decades.

For years my favorite was Chez Vincent in Brussels because I loved their steak tartare. Haven't been since 1995 but I guess is still there.
When living in Brussels for 6 years through 1975, Chez Vincent was a favorite, not only for the steak tartare (called "Filet American" for some reason in French) but also for its multiple preparations of mussels ("moules"). The pomme frites were also excellent. But when we went back 20 years or so later, it was not nearly as good as remembered.

I forgot about Tadich, it is awesome. We love the Sunday brunch at The Owl Cafe in Apalachicola.

I are at In-n-Out for the first time in Vegas last Sept. Awesome burgers but not a fan of the fries. And no, I don't do crazy topping on fries, just Ketchup, so no "animal" or what ever they call it.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Rays way down yonder on the Chattahoochee River. Dont cha hafta to reserve a table there?? Can't remember honestly. Me and my business partner hit it back in 01. I do recall that it was pretty good though!!
If I am taking a business person or attractive person I set a reservation, if it’s me and a pal, we just sit in the bar area. The Sunday brunch (#pre-covid), is pretty epic too.

Catawba Fish Camp
Taco Boy
River Room- years ago before it somehow started to suck. About the same time they took oysters Rockefeller off the menu.

Have you tried Moscow on the Hill in St. Paul? It’s a Russian restaurant, excellent food and fun cultural experience last time I went. If it happens to snow, it sort of adds to the Russian cultural experience thing.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
Boat House @ IOP & the view is nice.
Cotton Exchange & Hueys in Savannah (hard to find bad food in Savannah)
Coconuts in Ft Lauderdale
Komodo & River oysters in Miami
A&B lobster house Key West
Kings Kitchen Charlotte (I seldom compliment Charlotte)
Agave (lunch in Blufton)
Gas lamp district in SanDiego (too many to name, Wolfman for breakfast). I could sit at the beach bar in Coronado eating chips & guacamole & beer from sun up to sunset
LasBrisas Laguna Beach
Skins Hot dogs (Easly, Pickens, original in Anderson).
Mason Jar in Manhattan
Genos in Chicago
Metreon mall sushi counter in SanFran. Some good stuff on the pier too
Flamingo grill in Myrtle
Hot fish club Murrells inlet
Fish camp Jacksonville by the bridge

No longer there, but Pano’s and Paul’s in Atlanta was outstanding!

Got several.......
  • Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse in NYC( have to at least 10 other good ones in NYC and none best this one)
  • Quality Italian in NYC( the CHICKEN PARM PIZZA with Chili Honey....worth the trip alone)
  • House of Nanking in San Francisco
  • Franklin's in Austin, Tx (you will wait in line forever)
  • Doe's Eat Place (Little Rock, AR...looks like a dump)
  • Metropolitan Grill in Seattle
  • Eischen's Bar in Okarche, Ok (really good fried chicken)
  • The Knife in Dallas by SMU (grilled short rib....freakin meat candy)

St. Paul is a great place to live

Got several.......
  • Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse in NYC( have to at least 10 other good ones in NYC and none best this one)
  • Quality Italian in NYC( the CHICKEN PARM PIZZA with Chili Honey....worth the trip alone)
  • House of Nanking in San Francisco
  • Franklin's in Austin, Tx (you will wait in line forever)
  • Doe's Eat Place (Little Rock, AR...looks like a dump)
  • Metropolitan Grill in Seattle
  • Eischen's Bar in Okarche, Ok (really good fried chicken)
  • The Knife in Dallas by SMU (grilled short rib....freakin meat candy)

Good call on Doe's Eat Place. They have a few locations in Mississippi as well. The MS locations are roadside shacks, but man what a great steak.

Victor's Cafe in NYC. It's a Cuban Restaurant that's better than the ones in Miami. The atmosphere is great and the Roast Pork is the best. FYI take a wad of cash, it usually cost us $125.

Not to hijack yer bone in rib-eye, but how about something from our road trip towns?

ADVERTISEMENT