ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite Restaurant that's NOT in Your Town...

The Blue Ocean Seafood restaurant right before the I-26 and 385 split in Lauren's is the best seafood close to Columbia. I use to travel to the upstate fairly often and The Clock restaurants are great. I wish someone would open one in Columbia.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Is there not a BK at Town Centre still?
No that's been closed for nearly a year. Rightly so though. Clearly the highest ranked BK when it comes to bad service that I've ever been to. Which reminds me of the only KFC we had also closed. Had to be the greasyist KFC ever. Again, rightly so it closed. Still wish we had one tho.

Besides Cootie Browns in Johnson City, there are several others that my friends who come into Johnson City want to go to that are quite good:

Tomy Thai...www.tomythaijohnsoncity.com
Freiberg's...eatbrats.com (Owner was from East Germany)
Sahibs...sahibjohnsoncity.com (the chef has cooked for US Presidents)

All of these restaurants are located within a few minutes from East Tennessee State's Campus...

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Frenchy's - Clearwater Beach, FL (grouper sandwich)
G&M Seafood - Linthicum Heights, MD (crab cake)
Crusty Crab Seafood Shack - Greenbackville, VA (fried oysters)
Lexington Barbecue - Lexington, NC (coarse chopped brown pork)
Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que - Kansas City, KS (brisket)
Katz's Deli - New York, NY (brisket and pastrami)
Pal Joey's Deli - Sewell, NJ (Italian hoagie on Sarcone's roll)
Central Cafe - Rocky Mount, NC (hot dog)
Price's Chicken Coop - Charlotte, NC (fried chicken)

I will second Lexington BBQ. Speedy’s. BBQ across town is good in Lexington as well

Besides Cootie Browns in Johnson City, there are several others that my friends who come into Johnson City want to go to that are quite good:

All of these restaurants are located within a few minutes from East Tennessee State's Campus...

Cooties is eclectic. Always get a dessert. The key lime pie is killer

Scratch Pizza, too!

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
A small family restaurant in Carovigno, Italy that I visited often many, many years ago. When I say small, I mean small - maybe 8-10 tables max. It was like eating with family. Food was awesome and plentiful . The owners would sit and talk with you and share their homemade Amoretto and wines. It was a dining experience. Cost was very inexpensive. One of my favorite experiences of being stationed in southern Italy back in the mid 80s.

I suspect it is no longer there unless the children took over.

iu
EPCOT? It is good.....too pricey for the quality IMO.

Mama’s Fish House - Maui
Franklin’s BBQ - Austin
Giordano’s Pizza - Chicago
Heirloom BBQ - Atlanta
Shrimp Shack - St Helena Island
Antico Pizza - Atlanta
Sushi Nobu - Las Vegas
Keys Fisheries - Marathon

Tell us about a restaurant you love to visit in other cities, when on vacation, or traveling. It shouldn't be a restaurant you can visit regularly...

I have many, but first I'll list the St. Paul Grill in the famed St. Paul Hotel. Not only does it have a fantastic bar:

stpaulgrill-rw-feb-05.jpg

But the beef is absolutely first rate:

StPaulGrillCowboySteak_640.jpg

And you cannot have a steak at the St. Paul Grill without their decadent hash browns:

How-to-cook-hashbrowns-like-a-restaurant-7.jpg

Served upside down, out of a cast iron skillet, these hash browns are imbued with chunks of bacon. So good!

Thus, the SPG is a favorite of mine. The worst part of this must-have experience, 9 months out of the year, is that you're in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Rocco's Pizza in Riverhead, NY (Long Island) and Bowens Island Restaurant on James Island.

The Columbia in Ybor City, FL

Lolol, I literally go pass that place every week just about. The one time I tried to stop and get something to eat, the kitchen wasn’t closed and it was like 4:30.
I don't think i've ever seen a restaurant that put out the fat back on the line. We went on Sundays after church when visiting grandma. The "E" on the Eat sign had been out for a while so we made a joke that we should go Eat at "AT".

Reactions: THMoore100
I used to live right across from the library on Surfside drive. Used to walk to Neal and Pam's to watch bands. They put in Fenway Park a few years before I moved. Not sure if it's still there. My hangouts were Charley Floyd's place and Sandpiper's. Both have been long gone but still bring back great memories.
Fenway Park had been gone a long time too. As is The Sandy Monkey, Bullfeathers, two of Sam's Corners, and many others. I'd be surprised if Fat Harold's is around much longer

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Good call on Doe's Eat Place. They have a few locations in Mississippi as well. The MS locations are roadside shacks, but man what a great steak.

Im with both of y'all on Doe's too. I have eaten at the Paducah, KY location...which is actually in a pretty nice downtown spot there. Their steak, fries, bread are awesome as well is the fried catfish. Still one of the best (if not the best) steaks and catfish I've eaten.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
St. Elmo's in Indianapolis. The steak was great, but the shrimp cocktail appetizer was out of this world.

The best steak I ever had was right here in Houston: Pappas Brothers Steakhouse. A little pricey, but defintely worth it!

Reactions: Ancient_Irmese
Tell us about a restaurant you love to visit in other cities, when on vacation, or traveling. It shouldn't be a restaurant you can visit regularly...

I have many, but first I'll list the St. Paul Grill in the famed St. Paul Hotel. Not only does it have a fantastic bar:

stpaulgrill-rw-feb-05.jpg

But the beef is absolutely first rate:

StPaulGrillCowboySteak_640.jpg

And you cannot have a steak at the St. Paul Grill without their decadent hash browns:

How-to-cook-hashbrowns-like-a-restaurant-7.jpg

Served upside down, out of a cast iron skillet, these hash browns are imbued with chunks of bacon. So good!

Thus, the SPG is a favorite of mine. The worst part of this must-have experience, 9 months out of the year, is that you're in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Sanitary Restaurant, Morehead City. What's not to like about Sanitary Restaurant?

We have enough fancy places to eat in MtP. Every once in a while it would be nice to go to a...
Dairy Queen
Hardees
BK
Ryan's
Capt D's

Crazy that a town that size doesnt have any of those. Should be a sin.

Yep, they shuttered Hardees and Burger King and replaced them with Chase bank branches. Mt P, 4th largest city in SC, also doesn’t have a KFC, Krystal, Popeyes and the Cracker Barrel closed. Evidently all the Massachusetts transplants here don’t like fast food.

Yep, they shuttered Hardees and Burger King and replaced them with Chase bank branches. Mt P, 4th largest city in SC, also doesn’t have a KFC, Krystal, Popeyes and the Cracker Barrel closed. Evidently all the Massachusetts transplants here don’t like fast food.
One of my fondest memories as a kid was stopping by DQ on Coleman after a day at the beach. I remember the Hardees on Coleman was a hot spot as well... before the one on 17 opened then closed. You could see the burgers being cooked over a very high flame right in front of you at the old place. Pretty cool. Thinking it's now an Italian restaurant or maybe Mexican now idk. Shoneys, Capt Ds and Ryan's had its heyday as well. The one I miss the most had to be Dukes BBQ. A buffet off 17. Hard to believe none of those had staying power here.

Bluffton doesn't have many fast food options either. No Hardee's or BK. No Popeye's, Krystal, Waffle House. Only 2 McD's, one KFC, one Zaxby's way our and a Cracker Barrel further out at Sun City. We do have one Taco Bell, however. Don't have a lot of sit down chain restaurants either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT