ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite Restaurant that's NOT in Your Town...

Tell us about a restaurant you love to visit in other cities, when on vacation, or traveling. It shouldn't be a restaurant you can visit regularly...

I have many, but first I'll list the St. Paul Grill in the famed St. Paul Hotel. Not only does it have a fantastic bar:

stpaulgrill-rw-feb-05.jpg

But the beef is absolutely first rate:

StPaulGrillCowboySteak_640.jpg

And you cannot have a steak at the St. Paul Grill without their decadent hash browns:

How-to-cook-hashbrowns-like-a-restaurant-7.jpg

Served upside down, out of a cast iron skillet, these hash browns are imbued with chunks of bacon. So good!

Thus, the SPG is a favorite of mine. The worst part of this must-have experience, 9 months out of the year, is that you're in St. Paul, Minnesota.
The Other Place in Jasper, Alberta, CA.

I prefer Gold Star...much more meaty than Skyline. Also try Blue Ash. Both are better than Skyline IMO.
All Cincinnati chili is AWFUL!! I know that is personal preference. My wife likes it, but the first (and second) time I tried it - I thought is was just BAD (spoiled) chili. But, I am not a cinnamon fan and that is the base. I guess I am just a Texas (fire hot) chili guy.

Yep, they shuttered Hardees and Burger King and replaced them with Chase bank branches. Mt P, 4th largest city in SC, also doesn’t have a KFC, Krystal, Popeyes and the Cracker Barrel closed. Evidently all the Massachusetts transplants here don’t like fast food.
They probably can't find workers. Too many people more willing to get unemployment than work.

The Peerless .... Johnson City, TN
Stag & Doe .... China Grove, NC
Six Pence .... Blowing Rock, NC

Iron Bridge, somewhere near Grove City and Butler, PA. It's sort of situated in a rural area. It's got huge animal heads hanging from the walls. The food is outstanding! It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

"EAT". Its on the Bishopville exit gas station.

The old Dairy Ranch on Highway 84 in Jesup used to have this sign on front. People called it the Eat Now restaurant. It closed around 2018, I read.

dairy-ranch-eat-now-sign-jesup-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2018.jpg

I stopped there once or twice over the years. Good food to eat now if you were inclined to lean in that direction and stop and eat now.

Reactions: TopHook
My hometown of Jacksonboro SC had the Edisto Restaurant which closed around 20 years ago.The best seafood I ever had.People from all over the state would make the drive.Saw the entire SC supreme Court there one night and had to listen to Ted Turner's loud obnoxiousness another time.

Iron Bridge, somewhere near Grove City and Butler, PA. It's sort of situated in a rural area. It's got huge animal heads hanging from the walls. The food is outstanding! It's not cheap, but it's worth it.
Been there several times. My sister went to Grove City College.

Been there several times. My sister went to Grove City College.
Beautiful college campus. I’ve walked around it a bit. My in-laws live in Harrisville, PA. I’ve been to the Iron Bridge a few times. Last time there I got the beer battered cod. That meal was delicious.

They probably can't find workers. Too many people more willing to get unemployment than work.
If its like Bluffton and HHI, its more about the high commercial rental rates. Three (Arby's, Atlanta Bread Company, Nathan's Hot Dogs and another national sandwich chain left because the rental rates were getting too high for their models. We don't have many fast food chains at all....less than most towns half our size.

Beautiful college campus. I’ve walked around it a bit. My in-laws live in Harrisville, PA. I’ve been to the Iron Bridge a few times. Last time there I got the beer battered cod. That meal was delicious.
I haven't been there in years. Trent Reznor is from that area and hung out there a good bit.

We were in Savannah last week and we loved Alligator Soul. It was excellent. Also went to Treylor Park. Clary‘s Cafe and Two Cracked Eggs are great as well.

Joe's Stone Crabs - Miami South Beach
St Elmo's Steak House - Indianapolis
Carson's - Chicago ( the Frig's favorite for ribs )
Swans - San Fransisco
Ma Dipps - Chapel Hill
Mrs Wilkes Boarding House - Savannah
Red's Lobster Rolls - Wiscasset, ME.
Acme Oyster House - New Orleans

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Little Caesers. No, for real. At the end of long work day and commute and picking the kids up from day care, snagging a $5 hot and ready pizza sounds good most nighs.

I can't just name 1 so: Pasqualinos in Bryson City NC. Boot's Steak House in Sylva, NC and Alamo Steak House in Gatlinburg, (also in Pigeon Forge but prefer the one in Gburg.

When living in Brussels for 6 years through 1975, Chez Vincent was a favorite, not only for the steak tartare (called "Filet American" for some reason in French) but also for its multiple preparations of mussels ("moules"). The pomme frites were also excellent. But when we went back 20 years or so later, it was not nearly as good as remembered.
My first wife's father was from Antwerp.
I got to travel over there with him a couple of times. Last time I was there was about a month before 9/11.

One of the best meals I ever had was the mussels and fries at a restaurant on a mussel farm up near the border with Holland. The wife's uncle had a sailboat up on the Oosterschelde river.

I can't just name 1 so: Pasqualinos in Bryson City NC. Boot's Steak House in Sylva, NC and Alamo Steak House in Gatlinburg, (also in Pigeon Forge but prefer the one in Gburg.
Those mountain towns have some good eating places if you do a little research to find them. Thank you for mentioning these. Going on my yearly mountain ride and will stop in at these places in BC and Sylvia. You know any good ones around Burnsville or Spruce Pine?

Those mountain towns have some good eating places if you do a little research to find them. Thank you for mentioning these. Going on my yearly mountain ride and will stop in at these places in BC and Sylvia. You know any good ones around Burnsville or Spruce Pine?
Sorry, that's not really in my neck of the woods. But as crazy as it sounds I try to hit the Pizza Hut in Spruce Pine when I'm up that way. Don't know why but for some reason I like that one.
But if your ride takes you near Bryson City/Sylva you really need to hit up those places I named. Boot's in Sylva has great steaks and exceptional service. Pasqualinos in Bryson has really good Italian. It's a little hectic in there when it's busy but they treat you good. If you like Italian dressing on your salad try their house dressing. It's unlike any other. I really like it but I imagine some wouldn't. And their cheesecake for dessert is outstanding.

The Brown Hotel in Louisville. Get the Hot Brown...an experience.
In Fort Worth Tx, try the Reata. Excellent food. Great portions...eat on the rooftop
In Dallas, no trip is a Dallas Trip without a visit to Nick and Sams....the fav of the rich and famous. You won’t get out of there for less than $200 if there is two or more. So worth it.
In and Out is good f b Cali. What-a-Burger in Tx.
Lou Malnatti’s for Chicago pizza though if you can get to the original Pizzaria Uno, don’t miss it
In Savannah, personally I like Spankys. Get Chicken Fingers and Spuds. Their Soankys sauce makes it.
Now if we are taking international, got a whole different list.

Besides Cootie Browns in Johnson City, there are several others that my friends who come into Johnson City want to go to that are quite good:

Tomy Thai...www.tomythaijohnsoncity.com
Freiberg's...eatbrats.com (Owner was from East Germany)
Sahibs...sahibjohnsoncity.com (the chef has cooked for US Presidents)

All of these restaurants are located within a few minutes from East Tennessee State's Campus...
Cootie's key lime pie is off the chart. I had their ribs and they were very good. The Jamaican jerk chicken destroyed what skin cells I had in my mouth. That crap was HOT

Joe's Stone Crabs - Miami South Beach
St Elmo's Steak House - Indianapolis
Carson's - Chicago ( the Frig's favorite for ribs )
Swans - San Fransisco
Ma Dipps - Chapel Hill
Mrs Wilkes Boarding House - Savannah
Red's Lobster Rolls - Wiscasset, ME.
Acme Oyster House - New Orleans
Acme or Felix's for Oysters Court of Two Sisters, Jack Dempseys, Mother's. All in New Orleans

PF Changs or the Cheese Cake Factory. I wish one or both would open in Columbia.
I remember when eating at Cheese Cake Factory was like having a truck unload food onto the table. it was good, but never could eat it all AND have a slice of cheesecake in one sitting and be able to do anything else that evening.

So, so many but these stand out for me.

Chick’s Oyster Bar - Va Beach at Lynnhaven Inlet (simply awesome, food, view, atmosphere)

Whale Harbor - Islamorado, FL (buffet, crab legs included!, so good)

Tyverna Kyclades - Astoria Queens NYC (Greek, small and crowded but damn worth it)

Jackson Hole - Astoria Queens NYC (24/7 diner with outrageous burgers, killer breakfast, and cameo in Goodfellas)

Mason Jar - Manhattan (Gamecock Bar, fantastic place during games)

Eischen’s - Okarche, OK (The best fried chicken, one order is a whole chicken, cool atmosphere, same family owned for 120+ years)

White Dog - Clinton, OK (Open Wed-Sat, must make reservations by Monday of the week you want to go, on Route 66, unique place with the best food you’ll eat, in an old house and basement. Guest house in back serves as a the bar. On top of a knoll in flat western OK and can see for miles and awesome sunsets)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT