ADVERTISEMENT

Your First BBQ Grilling Experience.....here's mine

section2cock

Feb 7, 1999
It was my second year on campus in 1972 and I had just gotten married (don’t ask) and we were living in the old University Terrace apartments on the hill beside the women’s South Tower. There were driveway alleys that divided each row of apartments so the balconies faced each other. I was on my second floor balcony preparing my first charcoal grill out ever while about 3 couples were opposite me across the alley on their balcony just chatting away and having a good time. I didn’t know how much Gulf Lite fluid to throw on the pile of coals so I just kept squeezing and shaking that can until over half of it had soaked the coals. This was in the day when there was no slow burning charcoal fluid. The first hint that something was amiss was why the chatter from the 3 couples slowed down the more I poured that lighter fluid on those coals. As I went to strike the match and throw it on the pile of coals it was dead silence from across the alley. As I struck the match from probably 4 feet away, the fumes reached out and grabbed the flame in my hand and everything flashed. The 3 couples then exploded in laughter that went on for it seemed liked minutes. My hair, eyebrows, lashes and mustache were all singed and smelling like a dead rat. I thought my face was black but when I looked in the mirror, I just looked like a deformed Groucho Marx. Anyway to make a long story short, I retreated into the apartment until the couples went inside and never grilled there again. Today, I consider myself an accomplished BBQ dude but learned only from the school of hard knocks.

It was my second year on campus in 1972 and I had just gotten married (don’t ask) and we were living in the old University Terrace apartments on the hill beside the women’s South Tower. There were driveway alleys that divided each row of apartments so the balconies faced each other. I was on my second floor balcony preparing my first charcoal grill out ever while about 3 couples were opposite me across the alley on their balcony just chatting away and having a good time. I didn’t know how much Gulf Lite fluid to throw on the pile of coals so I just kept squeezing and shaking that can until over half of it had soaked the coals. This was in the day when there was no slow burning charcoal fluid. The first hint that something was amiss was why the chatter from the 3 couples slowed down the more I poured that lighter fluid on those coals. As I went to strike the match and throw it on the pile of coals it was dead silence from across the alley. As I struck the match from probably 4 feet away, the fumes reached out and grabbed the flame in my hand and everything flashed. The 3 couples then exploded in laughter that went on for it seemed liked minutes. My hair, eyebrows, lashes and mustache were all singed and smelling like a dead rat. I thought my face was black but when I looked in the mirror, I just looked like a deformed Groucho Marx. Anyway to make a long story short, I retreated into the apartment until the couples went inside and never grilled there again. Today, I consider myself an accomplished BBQ dude but learned only from the school of hard knocks.

Were you tempted to go over and whip the three couples butts?

sec2 becomes a human naplam bomb

Not first grill, but back in 80s. Was about six beers into a day off and had damp charcoal that wouldn't stay lit.

Ran out of lighterfluid but did find a can of WD40. It was quite the fireball. Singed one of my eyebrows, I think.

I never use starter fluid or Match Light. Pukola.

077924073939.jpg

Reactions: fire ant
Excellent story. Thanks for sharing, thoroughly enjoyed it.

That said, I clicked on this thread to read about bbq, but I am, instead, confronted with a wonderful, funny grill story. No mention of bbq whatsoever... o_O

Reactions: rogue cock
Have to make sure that you have good newspaper underneath else the fire will go out.
I use paper grocery bags. I have them stockpiled for this exact purpose. In all my years of grilling I think I've had the chimney go out once or twice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT