ADVERTISEMENT

Your updated expectations for the final 5 games?

Jon Snow

Dec 17, 2012
After whipping Arkansas and outlasting Tennessee, we are an (mostly) unexpected 5-2 team. This certainly feels better than 2-1 after Kentucky or 3-2 after A&M. I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic, in spite of some obvious short-comings and deficiencies.
Now, on to expectations. I feel confident in saying we all expect to beat Vandy and Wofford, and losing either of these games will take the shine off this season. I don't see a need for discussion on this point, so...7 wins.
As for Georgia, and Clemson: @UGA and v Clemson will both be difficult. Honestly, I just hope to play well, show some progress, and compete. If we happen to beat one of those teams, it will be a huge step for the program. Still, I'd expect to be huge underdogs in these games. So, unless we put it all together and pull an upset or two...4 losses.
And now Florida: this will be a difficult game, but its a game we can win. Mostly, I just hope Gamecock fans, myself included, don't let the Florida game get us too high or too low. 7-5 would still be a step forward. 8-4 would really be movement that the staff needs to sell to the recruits they need in order to move up the SEC pecking order.
I'm going way out on a limb here and saying we finish 8-4 and head back to Tampa.

i said they would win 6 games, hasnt changed much, i say 7 wins now possible.. Too many injuries, gonna catch up to them, so looks like 7-5 and Charlotte Bowl, Maybe Nashville, but the Music city bowl Loves Blue...

This is a pretty close read to my own thoughts, although it's been bad enough the last few years that I cringe at "expecting" a win against anybody. I would be very happy with 8-4, and ok with 7-5.

I think Georgia is by far the hardest game remaining. I think Clemson is very good, but they are not the same without playmakers like Watson. If they make the playoff, they will lose early. But I suspect they will lose again before the season is over. And lord, I hope it's to the Gamecocks.

After whipping Arkansas and outlasting Tennessee, we are an (mostly) unexpected 5-2 team. This certainly feels better than 2-1 after Kentucky or 3-2 after A&M. I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic, in spite of some obvious short-comings and deficiencies.
Now, on to expectations. I feel confident in saying we all expect to beat Vandy and Wofford, and losing either of these games will take the shine off this season. I don't see a need for discussion on this point, so...7 wins.
As for Georgia, and Clemson: @UGA and v Clemson will both be difficult. Honestly, I just hope to play well, show some progress, and compete. If we happen to beat one of those teams, it will be a huge step for the program. Still, I'd expect to be huge underdogs in these games. So, unless we put it all together and pull an upset or two...4 losses.
And now Florida: this will be a difficult game, but its a game we can win. Mostly, I just hope Gamecock fans, myself included, don't let the Florida game get us too high or too low. 7-5 would still be a step forward. 8-4 would really be movement that the staff needs to sell to the recruits they need in order to move up the SEC pecking order.
I'm going way out on a limb here and saying we finish 8-4 and head back to Tampa.
I actually feel the exact same way. We will beat Vandy and Wofford and have a very good chance to knock off Florida. We just can't afford anymore injuries. Stay healthy down the stretch and I think we win against Florida. UGA and Clemson are far ahead of us from a talent standpoint and beating either of those teams would be a huge upset, especially UGA. They really are strong this year. Offensively, I haven't been overly impressed with Clemson but their defense has been lights out. That game is in Columbia and I'll be hoping like he'll that we can get something going against them. 8-4 is still my prediction.

I actually feel the exact same way. We will beat Vandy and Wofford and have a very good chance to knock off Florida. We just can't afford anymore injuries. Stay healthy down the stretch and I think we win against Florida. UGA and Clemson are far ahead of us from a talent standpoint and beating either of those teams would be a huge upset, especially UGA. They really are strong this year. Offensively, I haven't been overly impressed with Clemson but their defense has been lights out. That game is in Columbia and I'll be hoping like he'll that we can get something going against them. 8-4 is still my prediction.
You nailed it my biggest concern...injuries. I know every team is banged up this time of year but we are getting too thin at key positions that were already thin.

As to the OP I'm still sticking with 7 wins. I think we have a legit chance of winning 3 more, but a lot will have to happen with no more key injuries being the biggest.

We get to 8 wins I'd say. Improvement has been evident and I see no reason for that to change. If the SEC gets two in the playoffs, we play on Jan. 1st... otherwise, we play a day or two before. In the meantime, we will constantly hear about how weak the East is from all the pundits. Then the East will go out and win all but one of their bowls.

9 and 3... We will lose to UGA. Clemson will lose at least another game before playing SC and then that team will become a dumpster fire with nothing to play for. But there is no way we beat UGA, they are probably the 2nd best team in the country.

Reactions: gamecock ed
9 and 3... We will lose to UGA. Clemson will lose at least another game before playing SC and then that team will become a dumpster fire with nothing to play for. But there is no way we beat UGA, they are probably the 2nd best team in the country.
I wouldn't go writing off Florida and Vandy as definite wins. We've shown we can crap the bed at any moment against anyone. This team is the epitome of "take one game at a time".

I wouldn't go writing off Florida and Vandy as definite wins. We've shown we can crap the bed at any moment against anyone. This team is the epitome of "take one game at a time".
I think we take down UF this year, it is likely the most important game in Muschamps mind for the obvious personal reasons

I think we take down UF this year, it is likely the most important game in Muschamps mind for the obvious personal reasons
We very well could. In fact the two teams are similar in many ways, but I give us the edge on defense and at a few positions on offense. It won't be the most entertaining game as far as offense goes, but I think defense and special teams might swing it in our favor. Mac has run out of Muschamps players on defense and it's showing.

I agree with this sentiment. Still, I believe that UF will be a mess if they keep losing before our game. Can't look past Vandy though. they are a sound football team. The kind of team that gives us trouble.

The Vandy game is very scary . It's 100% a trap game . They play tough defense and our offense is still abysmal. I said at the beginning of the year before NC State that the only way we had a chance this year was by keeping Deebo healthy. . Well that didn't happen and we still won a few games we should have lost . I've been very critical of this staff but honestly with the amount of injuries that have piled up , they have pulled out a minor miracle so far . We look terrible for 85% of the game and still get W's and that's the only stat that matters . Give credit where credit is due . That being said I still think UGA and Clemson still destroy us . The talent gap is just too wide . To much speed and Physicality for us on both sides of the ball . Vandy and Wofford will both be hard fought wins . Neither game will be a cupcake . Wofford ALWAYS gives us fits with the triple option . Florida is a toss up . They still suck on offfense but that defense is still Very nasty . I say 7-5 would be my guess .

a lot of posters here can crap the board at any moment

go cocks!

We're 12th in the SEC in rushing offense. The better teams are in the top 5, Bama and Georgia being 1 and 2. We're living on the edge with that type of production out of the running game. I hope we can keep finding ways to win. It's hard for me to look beyond Vandy.

I'm sticking to the same prediction I've been using all year: we'll win at least two more games. That prediction will expire soon.

Ok here's the pipe dream and Christmas wish all in one ...

We will win the SEC East! In order for this to happen GA and KY must lose 2 games each. Right now we are 3-2 in the EAST. We obviously must win all of our remaining SEC games.

GA still has FL, KY, AU, and SC remaining. I can see them possibly losing at least one other game besides us, giving them 2 losses with the tie breaker going to SC via the head2head loss.

KY is 2-1, with TN, GA, MISS ST, Vandy, and FL remaining. Losing 2 is definitely possible leaving KY with 3 losses.

By virtue of us beating FL, they finish with no less than 3 losses.

So we win the EAST, then play BAMA a decent game in ATL losing by 7-10 with Bama scoring a late TD to ice the game. Yes it is a loss, but a moral victory for 2018 recruiting.

That only leaves us with 1 close win and 1 close loss each vs Clemson and a respected opponent giving us a record of 10-3, and CWM is named Coach Of The Year by every organization that names one, and we kill it with a top 10 recruiting class for 2018.

(I would trade a bowl loss for a win vs Clemson every day.)

What's your dream ... everybody's got a dream!

Reactions: Holy City Cock

We will win the SEC East! In order for this to happen GA and KY must lose 2 games each. Right now we are 3-2 in the EAST. We obviously must win all of our remaining SEC games.

GA still has FL, KY, AU, and SC remaining. I can see them possibly losing at least one other game besides us, giving them 2 losses with the tie breaker going to SC via the head2head loss.

KY is 2-1, with TN, GA, MISS ST, Vandy, and FL remaining. Losing 2 is definitely possible leaving KY with 3 losses.

So we win the EAST, then play BAMA a decent game in ATL losing by 7-10 with Bama scoring a late TD to ice the game. Yes it is a loss, but a moral victory for 2018 recruiting.

That only leaves us with 1 close win and 1 close loss each vs Clemson and a respected opponent giving us a record of 10-3, and CWM is named Coach Of The Year by every organization that names one, and we kill it with a top 10 recruiting class for 2018.

I'll even be less greedy and say I will be plenty happy if we just beat Clemson. Anything after that is just a bonus. If someone told me we'd lose all our remaining games (including bowl game) but get to beat Clemson to become bowl eligible and head back to Birmingham I'd take it before they changed their mind.

Reactions: jonesz21
I am about as optimistic as anybody on earth but there is no way we are winning the East this year... UGA is really good and maybe the only team in the country that has a legitimate shot at beating Bama. And I hate saying that because I despise the Dawgs but you got to give credit where its due.

Wally, that would be some cosmic alignment right there! If we had not blown a two score lead at TAM, I think winning the east would be a realistic hope. But not with two losses in the book already.

I think we finish 8-4, pulling out a close win over UF and going to a decent bowl.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I'm really hoping for 8-4 and competitive games against UGA and Clemson. Recruiting will really take off if that happens. This is very achievable.

Reactions: DC-99
Before the season, I was thinking 7 wins.
After a couple nice wins I was adjusting that upward to 8.
After the underwhelming performance against UK I adjusted down to not making a bowl.
Now I see two more wins against Vandy and Wofford with an outside chance against UF. So 7, maybe 8.

Before the season I figured 6 wins. After beating NC st and Mizzou on the road I think we will get 7. Vanderbilt is a bad match up for us, they are a good team. The only guaranteed (Not guaranteed but game we are favored) win I see is Wofford . However as a Gamecock fan I always expect to lose a game we should win and win a game we should lose. So who knows but Muschamp at least needs a bowl game.

I thought going into Tennessee game yesterday a win was the gateway to an 8-4 season. I think that's doable now.

OK, that's a bigger dream season than my dream season. I would party for about 2 months if this happens!

Apparently, you know nothing.

<.<

I agree wholeheartedly though.

Before the season, before the injuries, before the less than stellar OL play, before finding out we had kicking problems, I predicted no better than 8-4, and no worse than 6-6. Losses to Georgia, Florida, one other SEC team, and Clemson. Florida looks more winnable, than preseason. A win against Florida puts us back on track for a 8-4 season. If Jake can figure a way to settle down in the first quarter, in stead of the second half, we might have a shot at Georgia and Clemson, but we need our "A" game all four quarters. I think we can contain Vandy's offense (as well as Wofford's) and at least go 7-5. I mentioned preseason that we could possibly be 5-3 in conference and be involved in a tiebreaker scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT