ADVERTISEMENT

Zay Brown is a hell of a get.....

athensdawg88

May 29, 2001
I live in Athens. And I know him very well. I played football at Clarke Central With Dunta Robison. Dunta is two years younger than me. I don't know if Zay will turn out as good as Dunta but I know y'all got a steal.
David Perno, who used to be the head baseball coach at UGA, is now The head football coach at Clarke Central. He went central in 1985 by the way.
The point is he is good friends with coach muschamp. He told Champ and our Coach Smart to look at Zay. Champ did and the rest is history.
I personally wanted Zay to go to Georgia. With that said, I told him he has to do what is best for him. He is a solid commitment to South Carolina. And he will rise up in the rankings this fall. He runs a legit 4.4 and is a great kid.
Congratulations on a great pull out of Athens
From a Dawg
Also for you older Cock fans, my old high school has been pretty good to South Carolina over the years. Carl Platt played receiver and the late Derek little played outside linebacker. They both signed in 1985.

Question....why no interest from Uga or GT?
Honestly because CLarke central had a terrible coaching staff last year and They didn't promote their players.
The second reason is the kid runs track. And did not participate in spring football practice. I know Coach Kirby Smart very well and I believe he will offer Zay. But I think it's too late. I think his heart is in South Carolina. And I wish him the best. Again I say he is a great kid

Honestly because CLarke central had a terrible coaching staff last year and They didn't promote their players.
The second reason is the kid runs track. And did not participate in spring football practice. I know Coach Kirby Smart very well and I believe he will offer Zay. But I think it's too late. I think his heart is in South Carolina. And I wish him the best. Again I say he is a great kid

Hope you are right.

Or any other team with a stadium that seats over 15,000?
Do you realize nobody offered Thomas Davis or Dunta Robinson. My old coach Steve Brooks new Lou Holtz. He drove Dunta to Columbia to try out in front of Holts. Nobody else had offered Dunta. He earned the last scholarship and went on to be a top 10 pick. Diamond in the rough.
Thomas Davis was spotted by Georgia at a basketball game. His only other offer was to UAB.

Last edited:
Do you realize nobody offered Thomas Davis or Dunta Robinson. My old coach Steve Brooks new Lou Holtz. He drove Dunta to Columbia to try out in front of Holts. Nobody else had offered Dunta. He earned the last scholarship and went on to be a top 10 pick. Diamond in the rough.
Thomas Davis was spotted by Georgia at a basketball game. His only other offer was to UAB.
If you hit it big on one out of 20-30 diamonds in the rough, you still are stuck with a bunch of coal. Coal is not gonna cut it in the SEC, even the East.

If you hit it big on one out of 20-30 diamonds in the rough, you still are stuck with a bunch of coal. Coal is not gonna cut it in the SEC, even the East.

Here we go again with the moaning and groaning about star rankings. FYI, per Rivals, our recruiting rankings from 09-12, were 12,25,18,and 19. Thats right before and during the period where we won 49 games over a 5 year period. Our 2017 class is currently 18, right around where we were during those years.
I'd love to have more 4 and 5 stars, but will take quality 3 stars that our coaching staff likes and feels like they can work with.
Right now, cosidering the current staff hasn't coached a game here yet, you have NO clue, how well, or how poorly, what they are recruiting here, will turn out.

In all honesty, I don't pay nearly as much attention stars as I do competing offers.
I agree 100%. I could care less how we finish in the final rankings. I could care less how many stars a kid has. It is the offers that he has that make a difference to me. This in another steal from UNCC, not Alabama or Clemson. Digging a deep hole in the heart of the recruiting season.

17 slots taken, maybe 8 slots left.

These things happen in recruiting, and I hope he will be a good one for us. Thanks for the scoop.

I live in Athens. And I know him very well. I played football at Clarke Central With Dunta Robison. Dunta is two years younger than me. I don't know if Zay will turn out as good as Dunta but I know y'all got a steal.
David Perno, who used to be the head baseball coach at UGA, is now The head football coach at Clarke Central. He went central in 1985 by the way.
The point is he is good friends with coach muschamp. He told Champ and our Coach Smart to look at Zay. Champ did and the rest is history.
I personally wanted Zay to go to Georgia. With that said, I told him he has to do what is best for him. He is a solid commitment to South Carolina. And he will rise up in the rankings this fall. He runs a legit 4.4 and is a great kid.
From a Dawg
Also for you older Cock fans, my old high school has been pretty good to South Carolina over the years. Carl Platt played receiver and the late Derek little played outside linebacker. They both signed in 1985.
Thanks for the info. Dunta Robinson was a great one. I also remember Carl Platt and Derrick Little (RIP). I remember Derrick playing in Athens his freshmen year (1985 I think) and the UGA fans booing him and giving him a hard time the whole game. Hopefully, Zay will be as good as you think.

Reactions: athensdawg88
Honestly, people need to cool it about the rankings. We have plenty of 4 star athletes that didn't even see the field last year or saw minimal action because they were terrible. So, let's cool it and trust the talent evaluators!

Reactions: IrmoRed
From a Dawg

You can't reason with some on this board. All i can say is that when he camped at USC, it was very apparent that he was a stud. I don't think some on this board realize that UGA recruiting in the state of georgia is not easy as it appears. yes they can get whomever they want, but they also have to deal with politics at a very high level. Maybe UGA does not need a 6 foot 205lb 4.4 db this cycle....or they already have one they think is better. Either way, I was told he would be a great get. I hope he sticks with his commitment.

Honestly, people need to cool it about the rankings. We have plenty of 4 star athletes that didn't even see the field last year or saw minimal action because they were terrible. So, let's cool it and trust the talent evaluators!
Did you trust SOS, Jr., et al.?

It's hard to get worked up about numbers when putting aside all the love we have for everything USC, and the improving facilities, we offer very little, like being picked last on the East, fair or not. This isn't a slam on our school, this is a recruit(s) that's only recently considered us, and looking objectively at us knows the program has been headed south for a couple of years. It can all change in an instant though, but all of the preseason hype has to translate to wins. We need to win 6+, and any bowl ASAP, and we are headed the right way, then if we can't can't recruit even better when players see the on-field potential of this staff, then we have a problem. Honestly, moving up they way we did in February considering all this is beyond impressive. Basically, any player interested in us should be our best friend until we turn this thing around.

Reactions: Tiger71
Our coaches evals are the biggest question this cycle. We, unfortunately, won't be able to make a solid determination for a couple of years....best case. Am I excited about stealing players from Samford and ETSU? No. But as stated earlier we have a bunch of undercoached studs available THIS year. This will give us an idea of what to expect moving forward. I hope the majority of this class can do reps and shine in 19'. That is assuming we have a great 2018 class coming in. We aren't doing bad, but not killing it either. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, right, Dr. Lou?

I agree 100%. I could care less how we finish in the final rankings. I could care less how many stars a kid has. It is the offers that he has that make a difference to me. This in another steal from UNCC, not Alabama or Clemson. Digging a deep hole in the heart of the recruiting season.

17 slots taken, maybe 8 slots left.

We just landed a commitment from Sherrod Greene, the #20 ILB, a 3-star recruit.

The quandry for @colaheat is this: is he a quality recruit for us because he has a Bama offer? Or is he a poor recruit because he has a UNCC offer? Time to update your incomplete running list our horrible, terrible, very bad recruiting, @colaheat...

Probably abt as much as most people here value your opinion on anything Gamecock-related.
I take it from your smartass retort that he did NOT trust our prior staff. If that's true, then why the sudden blind trust of Boom? Are you telling me you will blindly accept everything Boom is doing now, but you didn't feel the same way about SOS? I call BS.

You and your ilk are all the same. Whoever the current SC coach is can do no wrong, and the coaches of every other school is a cheater, a bum or both. You're the same guys who yelled down anyone who criticized Fat Brad, Sparky and Fig Newton. Give me a break! I'm on record as saying I'm skeptical, but I'll give Boom a reasonable amount of time. But, I see what Colaheat is saying. The schools making competing offers to the recruits we're accepting commitments from is not overly impressive.

From a Dawg
Thanks also for the update on Perno. I had been wondering if he was coaching anywhere. I'm surprised he's coaching football.

I lived in Athens for over 40 years. CC was once a proud program but has fallen on hard times. I recall Erk Russell was highly pissed when Ga. lost Little to us and Russell was ticked at Ray Goff when Goff was on Carlen's staff. They both recruited a kid from the Athens area and Goff got him for us. Todd Berry from Jefferson, Ga. played a lot of football for us. There was another kid Goff got but I can't remember his name. He was a highly recruited mg. He hurt his back lifting weights and ended up playing very little for us. I helped Goff get summer jobs for him couple of kids from Athens he recruited and signed for us. As is always the case, time will tell on this CC kid.

I get that we're not supposed to get worked up on stars right now, but like @colaheat said, we have 8 spots left. I just assumed we were loaded with 4 stars because our recruiting ranking is in the top 25! Now I see that we only have 3 total 4 stars, and I'm not even sure about them! (Like I am about someone like McIlwain) How are we supposed to compete in the SEC East with this?? Assuming Or'Tre Smith is going to clemsux or Carolina, are there any other decent 4 stars out there we have a shot at?

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/commitments

Reactions: colaheat
Or any other team with a stadium that seats over 35,000?

Central Michigan - 32,255
Charlotte - 15,314
Colorado State - 34,400
Georgia State - 28,155
Western Kentucky - 22,113

1452449087150_zpsi739igyw.jpg

I lived in Athens for over 40 years. CC was once a proud program but has fallen on hard times. I recall Erk Russell was highly pissed when Ga. lost Little to us and Russell was ticked at Ray Goff when Goff was on Carlen's staff. They both recruited a kid from the Athens area and Goff got him for us. Todd Berry from Jefferson, Ga. played a lot of football for us. There was another kid Goff got but I can't remember his name. He was a highly recruited mg. He hurt his back lifting weights and ended up playing very little for us. I helped Goff get summer jobs for him couple of kids from Athens he recruited and signed for us. As is always the case, time will tell on this CC kid.
My brother just moved from Athens after decades he did CC play by play at one time for a local station and I remember the player you mentioned. I watched CC play Tiffton Co. (I think) in the early 80's. CC had a back named Dwyane Harden I believe too on that team. It looked like a D1 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT