ADVERTISEMENT

Zion dunk. Oh my

That's cool and I know all the hype but I think the jury is still out on this kid until he faces up with some D1 competition.

That's cool and I know all the hype but I think the jury is still out on this kid until he faces up with some D1 competition.
Close friend of mine coaches HS basketball in Asheville. He coached against Zion this season and said he's the real deal.

This seems more like wishful thinking. Unfortunately, I think he's headed to Duke. We sure could use him though. Our biggest problem has been scoring the ball, since FM has been in Town.

Heres the deal have watched him twice...he is a great dunker but that is not going to get it in d1 bball you have to play all around he doesn't shoot much outside he will be small forward.

I'm not saying the kid isn't for real or not, but one glaring fact that no one has really talked much about is ... the kid has not faced any real competition. He may have a lot of tools in the box, but the SC HS Independent (Christian) conference(s) aren't very good as a whole compared to 3A and 4A competition. He's a lot of flash, and personally, I just don't see him playing for Martin.

Basketball is one of those sports where I'm not sure the level matters that much. If you can shoot, it doesn't matter if you are playing 1A or 5A. Now if all someone can do is dunk then the level may be a factor.

I believe he played against Dorman this year who won the 5A state championship, and I heard they beat them. Maybe not against a Frank Martin team but doubt all the services are off by a lot.....1 and done, but I'd certainly take him for a year! Particularly since Sidarius leaves a major point production shortfall.

Reactions: hotchkis
But here is the thing, I read after we beat dook that it was still something that 80% sure thing he was going to dook and even quempsum was ahead of us in terms of his recruitment.

This seems more like wishful thinking. Unfortunately, I think he's headed to Duke. We sure could use him though. Our biggest problem has been scoring the ball, since FM has been in Town.

Duke? Now, that would be a sight to see. Zion vs Coach K and his favorite player, 'Tripper'.

This kid just does not seem like a Dook player to me at all. Clash of styles

Ok. I admit I don't know anything about AAU ball, but I just don't get why he is in private school. The weekly competition he would face in a public school conference, would dwarf what he faces every week in a weak private school conference.

Ok. I admit I don't know anything about AAU ball, but I just don't get why he is in private school. The weekly competition he would face in a public school conference, would dwarf what he faces every week in a weak private school conference.

Maybe his parents feel the education he is receiving is better in private school.

I know...strange concept right...education actually playing a part in an athletically gifted kid's life.Blows your mind, don't it?

And again...the AAU competition he faces far outclasses what he would face in public school overall anyway so your final point is a moot one.

Reactions: theZero
Maybe his parents feel the education he is receiving is better in private school.

I know...strange concept right...education actually playing a part in an athletically gifted kid's life.Blows your mind, don't it?

And again...the AAU competition he faces far outclasses what he would face in public school overall anyway so your final point is a moot one.

Why so condescending? I'm not making any argument re: private vs public education or even home schooling for that matter. I'm talking pure basketball. So he plays AAU ball part of the year, and does extremely well against the competition, and part of the year, he runs past, jumps over, and dunks against a bunch of nobody's that do nothing to challenge him on the court so that he can get a private school education. I'm not putting down public or private education, I would just like to have seen him not essentially take 1/2 the year off while finishing his private school education. I would much rather have seen him lead his 4A HS team to a state championship.

I don't care if he cannot shoot. We need him for our image. We need to prove that big time recruits have come to SC.

I don't care if he cannot shoot. We need him for our image. We need to prove that big time recruits have come to SC.

I'd rather him be able to shoot. Our image is fine right now. Never been better. We've had our fair share of Rolando Howells, Bud Johnsons and Tony Kitchens that never lived up to the hype but boy our image was good

Is it only me or does the "oh my" part of the title of this thread sound........feminine or soft? Just odd, lions Tigers and bears "oh my" lol
Dude can flat out dunk, hope we get him but I hope he doesn't see the "oh my" lol

Disclaimer:nothing wrong with being soft or feminine if that's how u are

Is it only me or does the "oh my" part of the title of this thread sound........feminine or soft? Just odd, lions Tigers and bears "oh my" lol
Dude can flat out dunk, hope we get him but I hope he doesn't see the "oh my" lol

Its you. You're either too young, or too old, or look too deeply for trivial nonsense to offend you.

Some older folks (or very conservative) take offense using the term "Oh my God!" as they see it as blaspheming. It becomes "Oh my word" or simply "Oh my." I once had a friend's mother who was very conservative tell me that "Word," "gosh," "golly," and "goodness" were a synonyms for "God," that "gee" and "geez" were short for Jesus, and even though I wasn't aware, I was tempting hellfire and that's the reason she had to call my mother.

Some younger folks only think of the George Takei meme.

giphy.gif

And some folks think you must be a lady sipping on a mint julep, fanning yourself in the sweltering August heat when you utter this simple word pairing. Maybe they secretly want to be that perspiring young lady, who knows?

But it boils down to this: they're just words. Let it go.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Why so condescending? I'm not making any argument re: private vs public education or even home schooling for that matter. I'm talking pure basketball. So he plays AAU ball part of the year, and does extremely well against the competition, and part of the year, he runs past, jumps over, and dunks against a bunch of nobody's that do nothing to challenge him on the court so that he can get a private school education. I'm not putting down public or private education, I would just like to have seen him not essentially take 1/2 the year off while finishing his private school education. I would much rather have seen him lead his 4A HS team to a state championship.

Thanks for proving my point...it's much appreciated.

It's just you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT