ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson!!!

I hope Frank is trying but from what I hear it is a big uphill battle with Duke leading the way. I've seen him play and he is the real deal but I wouldn't put him in Lebron's category. His popularity is soaring though, saw Drake wearing his jersey the other day at a Raptors game lol.

How optimistic can we be about getting premier basketball talent from this area to go to school in Columbia, based on history? And what is Martin's track record in this respect?

How optimistic can we be about getting premier basketball talent from this area to go to school in Columbia, based on history? And what is Martin's track record in this respect?

He got Dozier! Lost on peak and Mack but our program wasn't what it was when they came through. He is a tremendous teacher. Look how far thornwell, dozier, and Silvia has come.

He got Dozier! Lost on peak and Mack but our program wasn't what it was when they came through. He is a tremendous teacher. Look how far thornwell, dozier, and Silvia has come.
He needs to do better getting the best players from around here to stay here. Some of it is an SEC problem. Maybe in time.

Reactions: Ajjolley1018
I am thinking out loud, so do not kill me. If Williamson is truly an one and done, maybe it would not be the best thing for our program right now. The only way it would benefit us is if it propel us to a final 4 or would lead top recruits choosing USC. Our program is a work in progress, I hope in time our program would be to the point where bringing an one and done would benefit Senior leadership already on the team and propel us to new heights. I think right now Williamson might be more of a distraction.

I hope Frank is trying but from what I hear it is a big uphill battle with Duke leading the way. I've seen him play and he is the real deal but I wouldn't put him in Lebron's category. His popularity is soaring though, saw Drake wearing his jersey the other day at a Raptors game lol.

I just wish DOOK University would fall off the face of the Earth!

We literally have a 0% of landing him. We would be the last place he ends up at. Wofford has a better chance. He's a clemson fan with a former clemson player as a dad. Wouldn't be surprised if he went to clemson, but it is probably down to Clemson Duke and UNC. Most people think Duke is the favorite.

PJ was 5 miles from campus and his family members played here. He was never going anywhere else.

Has anyone seen him play? People say he the next LeBron. Really? Do the gamecocks have a shot?

I would like to see in print someone saying Williamson is the next LeBron..please provide this....only a fool would say this,

.....don't think he is going from Spartanburg Day School, straight to the NBA like LeBron.

LeBron, 1st pick in draft out of H.S.

Reactions: vehemon
PJ was 5 miles from campus and his family members played here. He was never going anywhere else.
Being close to campus doesn't mean that much for us with instate guys. Half of the SC guys we've whiffed on have been from Columbia.

Reactions: HI Cock
I am thinking out loud, so do not kill me. If Williamson is truly an one and done, maybe it would not be the best thing for our program right now. The only way it would benefit us is if it propel us to a final 4 or would lead top recruits choosing USC. Our program is a work in progress, I hope in time our program would be to the point where bringing an one and done would benefit Senior leadership already on the team and propel us to new heights. I think right now Williamson might be more of a distraction.
Disagree for 2 reasons. First, it draws positive attention to our school. Second, it creates a draw effect. Suddenly, SC is the cool school. That's the way it works.

Reactions: jon#
Disagree for 2 reasons. First, it draws positive attention to our school. Second, it creates a draw effect. Suddenly, SC is the cool school. That's the way it works.

This. Plus if you had him for PJ and Silva's senior year. With Kotsar, Felder, etc. out there too... Damn.

Not gonna happen. We're not a destination for one and done players. Let the Dukes and Kentuckys have them

We literally have a 0% of landing him. We would be the last place he ends up at. Wofford has a better chance. He's a clemson fan with a former clemson player as a dad. Wouldn't be surprised if he went to clemson, but it is probably down to Clemson Duke and UNC. Most people think Duke is the favorite.
Where did you get your info? I worked with his dad for about 10 years. He played for NC State(football). His entire family are Huge Duke fans. I can promise you Duke is the front runner.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think it worked that way for K-State when they got Beasley who, if I'm not mistaken, Frank Martin had a hand in recruiting.

Last edited:
Highly doubt we get him. We should focus on attainable players that aren't one-and-dones
I'm pretty sure FM's not interested if he's not going to play at least 2 or maybe even 3 years. He's never been a coach who covets these kinds of players. 7th Woods was different because he'll be in college for a few years.

I'm pretty sure FM's not interested if he's not going to play at least 2 or maybe even 3 years. He's never been a coach who covets these kinds of players. 7th Woods was different because he'll be in college for a few years.
I still think if the kid is local, you go after him. The national buzz someone like this will create for the program is almost immeasurable.

I still think if the kid is local, you go after him. The national buzz someone like this will create for the program is almost immeasurable.
From everything I've read and heard, Williamson is all Duke, always has been and has never wavered. Grew up as a Duke fan. Generally, I'd agree with you, but in this case it'd seem to be a huge waste of time and resources.

where's Woods going after a few years...its not going to be the NBA

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
HA!!! KKKlempsux. HA!!

My thoughts exactly. Realistically, there are only a handful of schools that can court one and dones consistently. We are not one of them

where's Woods going after a few years...its not going to be the NBA
Woods better get that degree. Hope he is a good student. He should really count on staying in NC where his popularity will hopefully open doors for him after graduation.

Social media and TOS. Here's another article I found that states his dad played basketball at clemson.

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/201611...amson-dreaming-big-at-tournament-of-champions

Yea that info is wrong. This info is correct.

Williamson, who won’t turn 17 until July, was born in Salisbury. His father, Lateef Williamson, was a 6-4, 270-pound defensive lineman who committed to N.C. State in 1993. Lateef Williamson was a high school All-American at Darlington (S.C.) High and picked the Wolfpack over Penn State, South Carolina and North Carolina. Zion Williamson’s mother, Sharonda Sampson, ran track at Livingstone College in Salisbury.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article112797658.html#storylink=cpy

I'm sure Frank doesn't ignore them, but he's not going to spend a lot of time recruiting a kid he knows won't be around by the time he's a Junior (well... that assumes the kids leaves on his own and isn't kicked off the team). That's just not the kind of basketball FM teaches. Does it mean we may never win a championship with FM? Perhaps. Maybe he could have a change of heart, like Coach K.

I thought I heard that the NBA was going to change its rule about college next year anyway. Or was that the NFL?

Woods better get that degree. Hope he is a good student. He should really count on staying in NC where his popularity will hopefully open doors for him after graduation.

I don't think Woods, or any other UNC athlete for that matter, has to worry about getting a degree. If you're an athlete and you drive slowly enough through Chapel Hill they'll throw a diploma in your car.

Reactions: 92Pony and eahjr

Williamson, who won’t turn 17 until July, was born in Salisbury. His father, Lateef Williamson, was a 6-4, 270-pound defensive lineman who committed to N.C. State in 1993. Lateef Williamson was a high school All-American at Darlington (S.C.) High and picked the Wolfpack over Penn State, South Carolina and North Carolina. Zion Williamson’s mother, Sharonda Sampson, ran track at Livingstone College in Salisbury.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article112797658.html#storylink=cpy
Strange how conflicting this info is. Thanks!

Woods hasn't seen much action, and I think if he was on our roster he would be behind Felder.

His family are mostly clemson fans. Insiders say it's either Clemson, Duke or UNC.

Not worried he won't go to clemson. He is a one and done and will go to a team that he can win a natty with in one year then bolt.

Sharonda Sampson went to Ruffin High School with me. I'm still blown away that her son has become such an outstanding basketball player.

Sharonda Sampson went to Ruffin High School with me. I'm still blown away that her son has become such an outstanding basketball player.

Ruffin High Mighty Patriots!! proud alum myself (class of`75) was she related to Tony?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT