ADVERTISEMENT

Zion's No Show on Unoffcial on Sunday

Gradstudent

Feb 11, 2006
Anything behind it?

Other then we are out?

Is Frank still recruiting him, or no point? I know instate kids are not really his thing for the most part despite his 2 of his best being from here.

If his mother doesn't want to drive to Columbia, how will she see him play in Kentucky?

Now he will take his 5th and final official at Clemson this week, is what PK is saying

Anything behind it?

Other then we are out?

Is Frank still recruiting him, or no point? I know instate kids are not really his thing for the most part despite his 2 of his best being from here.

If his mother doesn't want to drive to Columbia, how will she see him play in Kentucky?

Now he will take his 5th and final official at Clemson this week, is what PK is saying
I honestly dont think we really ever had a shot. I think our successful season last year got us in the door but we were really never going to be in it. I think he has been a Clemson fan most of his life so that is why they are in it. In the end though, he will end up at Kansas, at least thats my prediction.
I think Frank would have taken him but he seems to prefer players who will be around a while so that he can get them to grow in his system. He seems players that are one and done, they are the ones that mess up the flow of a program.

Reactions: cockofdawn
1*WmECt5W0oMZF5KMpFCut-g.gif

I don't know much about Coach Martin and USC's position with Zion, but I would be shocked if Martin didn't want him badly. He's a program changing talent that would give the Gamecocks tons of exposure and could only help in recruiting other great players.

I get the coaching and chemistry issue of only having him for one season, but that guy would be an instant force at least on offense. It would be a problem worth testing out in my opinion. I hope we still have a chance.

I can't get a read on Zion the kid or the recruit. I follow Duke basketball pretty closely since my pops went there and he apparently seemed very unimpressed during his visit at Duke's midnight madness. If watching 6 elite freshman playing basketball inside of Cameron Indoor doesn't impress you, I'm not sure what will.

My guess is Kansas with Kentucky and Duke finishing in 2nd and 3rd...but he does seem like the type that could potentially make a shocking decision. I dunno though, I wouldn't completely rule him out yet.

I can't get a read on Zion the kid or the recruit. I follow Duke basketball pretty closely since my pops went there and he apparently seemed very unimpressed during his visit at Duke's midnight madness. If watching 6 elite freshman playing basketball inside of Cameron Indoor doesn't impress you, I'm not sure what will.

My guess is Kansas with Kentucky and Duke finishing in 2nd and 3rd...but he does seem like the type that could potentially make a shocking decision. I dunno though, I wouldn't completely rule him out yet.

I don't think Zion's style fits K's style. I don't follow Duke basketball too closely, but I can't recall many high-flying, flashy guys there

It's hard to get excited about a "one and done" kid since we know FM isn't going to land them on regular basis anyway. Of course it's also difficult to get excited about another 7 foot Sudanese project. Yeah, so basically I don't care much about MBB recruiting. I'll judge FM by the product he puts on the floor.

I don't think Zion's style fits K's style. I don't follow Duke basketball too closely, but I can't recall many high-flying, flashy guys there

I would actually agree with this assessment. He just doesn't seem like a Duke kid..and would probably not fit as well in K's system. I could see him potentially landing at Clemson...he seems like a good fit there personality wise but that coach deserves him about as much as Hilary Clinton deserves happiness.

It's hard to get excited about a "one and done" kid since we know FM isn't going to land them on regular basis anyway. Of course it's also difficult to get excited about another 7 foot Sudanese project. Yeah, so basically I don't care much about MBB recruiting. I'll judge FM by the product he puts on the floor.
bill-hader-this.gif

Reactions: vehemon
I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions, but:

Brad Brownell has coached 7 seasons at Clemson. He made the tournament his first year. He missed the tournament the last 6 years, and only 2 of those years did his team get an invite to the NIT. So, 4 of the last 6 years Clemson hasn't even made the NIT.
His in-coming class isn't a top-10 type of class. However, He has signed a 4 star freshman, and has another 4 star signed for the up coming class.

For one and done I don’t think he is willing to put in the work that FM will demand. He’s not going to nba for defense.

Reactions: garnet fire
If he lands at CU, that should be the last warning flag for the NCAA to set up shop in the upstate.
Don't think the NCAA cares WHAT Clemson does - if they haven't thoroughly investigated them in football by now (and found out what's been going on in that Florida pipeline), I think they pretty much get a pass on anything! And after the Cam Newton "unclear-on-how-the-rules-are-interpreted" joke and the most-recent humor at UNC just shows their lack of credibility with their violations investigation committee! JMHO!

Anything behind it?

Other then we are out?

Was he supposed to see the exhibition game? It would have been better for him not to see it.

Last edited:
People think he'll end up at Clemson? To play for freakin' Brad Brownell?

LMFAO.

He will go to a Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas type school. Literally 0 chance he comes here or Clemson.

I honestly dont think we really ever had a shot. I think our successful season last year got us in the door but we were really never going to be in it. I think he has been a Clemson fan most of his life so that is why they are in it. In the end though, he will end up at Kansas, at least thats my prediction.
I think Frank would have taken him but he seems to prefer players who will be around a while so that he can get them to grow in his system. He seems players that are one and done, they are the ones that mess up the flow of a program.
I would have agreed with you until this year. TWO grad transfers on the team this year. Out of necessity? Probably. We lost our 3 best guards and leading scorers. Plugging in a bunch of no-experience, low-profile freshman would be problematic at best.

He was at the exhibition game Sunday sitting right behind our bench. Saw Frank spend some time visiting with him in the tunnel before the game. Unclear the meaning behind the OP

I would actually agree with this assessment. He just doesn't seem like a Duke kid..and would probably not fit as well in K's system. I could see him potentially landing at Clemson...he seems like a good fit there personality wise but that coach deserves him about as much as Hilary Clinton deserves happiness.
About as much as Trump deserves a Humanitarian Award.

Reactions: trekcock
He was at the exhibition game Sunday sitting right behind our bench. Saw Frank spend some time visiting with him in the tunnel before the game. Unclear the meaning behind the OP
It's been in the papers that he didn't show for his visit. Was the game not part of the visit?

.... of course Martin wants in state talent if they can play and want to be at SC
...of course Martin wants Williamson...even for one year.

.... does fit Martins style?...any coach would take Williamson and style would have nothing to do with it

...and Zion Williamson wasnt at the ex. game Sunday. the player Martin was talking to was 2019 recruit DJ Burns out of York Prep

Last edited:
Reactions: Art__Vandelay

Williamson wasnt at game..martin was talking with 2019 DJ Burns , York Prep

I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions, but:

Brad Brownell has coached 7 seasons at Clemson. He made the tournament his first year. He missed the tournament the last 6 years, and only 2 of those years did his team get an invite to the NIT. So, 4 of the last 6 years Clemson hasn't even made the NIT.
His in-coming class isn't a top-10 type of class. However, He has signed a 4 star freshman, and has another 4 star signed for the up coming class.
...and this stuff conveniently happens after The Cocks make it to the Final Four the previous year. It's fairly obvious to anybody not part of the crazy Upstate Cult.

You seriously think he fits Brownell's system better? I've seen the kid play, and he is not a good fit for Brownell. He wants, and needs, to run and gun, and he won't get that option with either with Frank or Brad. They are both good coaches, just too control oriented for most high school super-stars. My guess is Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke in that order.

You seriously think he fits Brownell's system better? I've seen the kid play, and he is not a good fit for Brownell. He wants, and needs, to run and gun, and he won't get that option with either with Frank or Brad. They are both good coaches, just too control oriented for most high school super-stars. My guess is Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke in that order.

No that's just how things have been going for Clemson lately. Some of my Tiger friends act like there's something brewing with Zion, so I'm guessing NewSpring or Elevation has come in with a big, charitable offer

The championship teams get used to “one and done” players. I think we can too if we win it all.

Anyone know how many BB scholarships USC has to extend in 2018? Strange that there are no commits yet. Maybe soon.

Thought it was him, nope wasn't chanting, I teach high school so have no interest i1n kissing up to any high school boys no matter how good they are at any sport.
You are by far wiser than most of us on this thread!

People think he'll end up at Clemson? To play for freakin' Brad Brownell?

LMFAO.

He will go to a Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas type school. Literally 0 chance he comes here or Clemson.
He himself said he would shock the world. That leads me to believe it’s taterville

We’re out. The kid is a fan of clemson. Doesn’t mean he goes to clemson, just means he doesn’t think highly of us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT