ADVERTISEMENT

“We didn’t want them stealing our signals”

I’m all for running a clean program and playing by the rules. In my opinion, stealing signs is not cheating.
It depends on how you do it obviously... but I agree. If you can figure out another teams signs, that is on the other team for being lazy and not disguising it.
Now- if you are pulling some Patriots BS and recording the other teams’ practices... that is some other level stuff.... THAT is cheating.

It depends on how you do it obviously... but I agree. If you can figure out another teams signs, that is on the other team for being lazy and not disguising it.
Now- if you are pulling some Patriots BS and recording the other teams’ practices... that is some other level stuff.... THAT is cheating.

That’s exactly the issue. No one complained in baseball about stealing signs, it was how the astros did it.

the fact clemson is doing it so better than everyone else makes you wonder if they’re doing some nefarious in how they’re getting them.

NCAA just needs to go to the audio helmets like the NFL at this point.

I’m all for running a clean program and playing by the rules. In my opinion, stealing signs is not cheating.
We agree on very little.... but this is one of those things we agree on. Goes for baseball or football. We either need to get proactive and work harder, to match their efforts....or come up with our own stuff

Reactions: SOSUSC
That’s exactly the issue. No one complained in baseball about stealing signs, it was how the astros did it.

the fact clemson is doing it so better than everyone else makes you wonder if they’re doing some nefarious in how they’re getting them.

NCAA just needs to go to the audio helmets like the NFL at this point.

All the Astro’s did was get caught bringing a new way to cheat into the 21st century..........& rather late @ that.

Dabos coaching legacy. Sign stealing , osterine and being all world beaters in the ACC. And give credit on getting top talent. ( I’m sure that too will be exposed soon)

btw. How’s his coaching tree working out ? Says a lot about a coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Patriot321
Whatever the reason, Venables and the Clemson D got carved up last night. That was a heck of an effort by Justin Fields and Ohio State offense. They had Clemson totally off balance from start to finish.

There were times the linebackers all shifted to one side of the field at the last second. Only to have the play run to the opposite side. Totally confused.

Whatever the reason, Venables and the Clemson D got carved up last night. That was a heck of an effort by Justin Fields and Ohio State offense. They had Clemson totally off balance from start to finish.

THE REASON. Ohio State didn’t use the traditional avenues for signaling in plays. Changed wristbands, huddled, varied tempo the entire game. Went quick, went slow, etc.

Heard a great analogy about stealing other team’s offensive signals. Like playing poker. If you know the other guys hands/cards pretty damn easy to take their money!

Venables knows the ‘poker hand’ of most of Clempsun’s offensive opponents. “It’s like he knows what we’re going to run”!!! Because he does know what plays you’re going to run. CU has some signal stealing sons of bitches ‘upthar’.

Is in baseball should be in all sports, but it really hurts the players worst because they go to the nfl and turn out like shit

It’s not cheating but we all saw how much it hurt Clemson when they couldn’t do it. When you level the playing field against them they fold. They always have.

Reactions: DaddyRooster
I know my opinion is tainted because it's Clemson but to me it shows a total lack of sportsmanship. They look for any way to gain an advantage whether it's legal, ethical, sportsmanlike or none of the above. They've always cheated, and this, even if it's legal, is just another example of that. Just a couple years ago they were sexually assaulting opposing players and now this. Gotta wonder, what's next?

I know my opinion is tainted because it's Clemson but to me it shows a total lack of sportsmanship. They look for any way to gain an advantage whether it's legal, ethical, sportsmanlike or none of the above. They've always cheated, and this, even if it's legal, is just another example of that. Just a couple years ago they were sexually assaulting opposing players and now this. Gotta wonder, what's next?
I agree with you but I’m amazed at how accepting this form of cheating seems to be. While it may not be illegal in the rule book does it not cut into ones own character and integrity to just strap it on and hit it head to head? I’m old school and believe in the good ole “hard days work”. way to many looking for the easy way out.

THE REASON. Ohio State didn’t use the traditional avenues for signaling in plays. Changed wristbands, huddled, varied tempo the entire game. Went quick, went slow, etc.

Heard a great analogy about stealing other team’s offensive signals. Like playing poker. If you know the other guys hands/cards pretty damn easy to take their money!

Venables knows the ‘poker hand’ of most of Clempsun’s offensive opponents. “It’s like he knows what we’re going to run”!!! Because he does know what plays you’re going to run. CU has some signal stealing sons of bitches ‘upthar’.
The OSU game reminded me of Jake's big game. Don't give Clemson defense time to get set.

Even the little things like flashing the stadium lights in the eyes of the opponent, and having the ground crew mess around with the first down marker such that it is short of where the actual first down is supposed to be. And the coach got a policeman fired to boot. That car wash in Florence has a story as well.

Last edited:
I remember we ran bunch trips a lot that night, and tempo'd as I recall. Maybe it was a partial blueprint for OSU?
They too have team of off field personnel army (a la Clemson).

It was maddening watching a weak secondary for 2-3 years at Clemson get revered nationally for being "good". Their front 7 was great...but their back 4 (excluding Isiah Simmons) was the most overhyped group I've ever seen. Of course ....now...it looks like that front 7 wasn't as good as they appeared to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT