ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

Her teammates are open because no one guards Brea and Saxton 10 feet from the basket. lol, They regularly pass those shots up. Amihere shot an air ball from 10 feet away. Zia struggled yesterday, especially at the line, but her problem isn't selfishness. She asked to make things happen when the team can't get the ball inside. That doesn't help her shooting percentage. Sometimes what appears selfish is actually unselfish.

If you want to criticize someone, criticize Destanni for not looking for her shot more. She was 3 of 5 from behind the 3 point line. Who else did she expect to hit those shots? We aren't a great 3 point shooting team and she's, be far, our best long range shooter.

It's probably because she's too unselfish; she has a point guard's mentality. A big key to success in the tournament will be Henny looking for her shot more.
Her to. If she things that kind of play will cut in the pros she might as well stay for her Covid year.

9 points from the championship game is not going to cut it. Hopefully this fuels their belly to go for the big one

Her teammates are open because no one guards Brea and Saxton 10 feet from the basket. lol, They regularly pass those shots up. Amihere shot an air ball from 10 feet away. Zia struggled yesterday, especially at the line, but her problem isn't selfishness. She asked to make things happen when the team can't get the ball inside. That doesn't help her shooting percentage. Sometimes what appears selfish is actually unselfish.

If you want to criticize someone, criticize Destanni for not looking for her shot more. She was 3 of 5 from behind the 3 point line. Who else did she expect to hit those shots? We aren't a great 3 point shooting team and she's, be far, our best long range shooter.

It's probably because she's too unselfish; she has a point guard's mentality. A big key to success in the tournament will be Henny looking for her shot more.
I'm pretty sure Henderson's offense will be looked at, Dawn has mentioned that during the tournament, Kentucky did a good job defending her and I believe she was focusing more on a clean game because she had 5 assists and 0 turnovers. She didn't try to force anything like she sometimes do, compared to the 4 turnovers she had against Ole Miss.

I think everyone has a lot of tape to see where they can improve. Personally I want to see Cardoso take more shots, she has a clear advantage and she doesn't do it enough for my liking. I also want Beal to take some more shots. I rather she attempt 3-4 3's a game, odds are 1 of them is likely to fall and we are likely to get the rebound if she misses. We have to force the defense to at least consider challenging her shot. I also believe it wouldn't hurt to give Littleton or Hall more minutes, they both have proven to be able to be a threat from outside.

Reactions: DarkCock
I'm pretty sure Henderson's offense will be looked at, Dawn has mentioned that during the tournament, Kentucky did a good job defending her and I believe she was focusing more on a clean game because she had 5 assists and 0 turnovers. She didn't try to force anything like she sometimes do, compared to the 4 turnovers she had against Ole Miss.

I think everyone has a lot of tape to see where they can improve. Personally I want to see Cardoso take more shots, she has a clear advantage and she doesn't do it enough for my liking. I also want Beal to take some more shots. I rather she attempt 3-4 3's a game, odds are 1 of them is likely to fall and we are likely to get the rebound if she misses. We have to force the defense to at least consider challenging her shot. I also believe it wouldn't hurt to give Littleton or Hall more minutes, they both have proven to be able to be a threat from outside.
I like those suggestions. Cardoso is shooting 56% from the field. Boston is shooting 54%. Seems like playing those two together would solve a lot of our offensive issues. Boston is a good passer from the high post.

But coach is reluctant to play lineups that give her an offensive advantage at the expense of her defense, especially against teams that can shoot 3's. I think she determined to take away the 3 point shot when she's ahead late in games. Admittedly, Treasure Hunt and Edwards were a tough matchup for Cardoso and Boston on the defensive end...HOWEVER, both Hunt and Edwards each finished with 4 fouls. Just seems like had we pounded them early and often, they would have fouled out. Oh well. I guess hindsight is 20/20.

I like those suggestions. Cardoso is shooting 56% from the field. Boston is shooting 54%. Seems like playing those two together would solve a lot of our offensive issues. Boston is a good passer from the high post.

But coach is reluctant to play lineups that give her an offensive advantage at the expense of her defense, especially against teams that can shoot 3's. I think she determined to take away the 3 point shot when she's ahead late in games. Admittedly, Treasure Hunt and Edwards were a tough matchup for Cardoso and Boston on the defensive end...HOWEVER, both Hunt and Edwards each finished with 4 fouls. Just seems like had we pounded them early and often, they would have fouled out. Oh well. I guess hindsight is 20/20.
I do think we suffer from having too many options at times. Speaking of hindsight, the one change I would do if I was the coach during Kentucky's last inbounds play, is that I would have put Cardoso in to obscure the view of the inbounder.

Reactions: DarkCock
Cardoso needs to shoot more for sure. She's a sophomore I get it - but she's too passive. The whole Beal needs to shoot more should be a running joke at this point.

Yes, Littleton should've definitely played and Rivers length at defense would not have hurt.

Lots to go to the drawing board with

Cardoso needs to shoot more for sure. She's a sophomore I get it - but she's too passive. The whole Beal needs to shoot more should be a running joke at this point.

Yes, Littleton should've definitely played and Rivers length at defense would not have hurt.

Lots to go to the drawing board with
Amihere should have played more. She went out of the game in the 3rd quarter and we were up 11. She never got back in the game.

Dawn went with her veterans -- Lele, Saxton -- and Cardsoso instead. Big mistake. Amihere is out best defender and without her on the court UK lit us up for 21 points in the 4th.

Hopefully, Dawn will look at the advanced stats and see the mistake. It's easy to get caught up in the bone-headed turnovers Amihere makes and think she shouldn't play. Again, mistake. Her defense and rebounding are so outstanding she's would have been a better option.

And let me say this about the offense: the 62 points scored against UK would have been enough to beat UCONN, NC State, Maryland and Stanford earlier this season. We didn't play defense in the 2nd half like we have all season.

So going into the NCAA tournament, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. It would be nice to cut down on turnovers and shoot better at the line but not at the expense of our bread and butter: defense and rebounding.

Amihere should have played more. She went out of the game in the 3rd quarter and we were up 11. She never got back in the game.

Dawn went with her veterans -- Lele, Saxton -- and Cardsoso instead. Big mistake. Amihere is out best defender and without her on the court UK lit us up for 21 points in the 4th.

Hopefully, Dawn will look at the advanced stats and see the mistake. It's easy to get caught up in the bone-headed turnovers Amihere makes and think she shouldn't play. Again, mistake. Her defense and rebounding are so outstanding she's would have been a better option.

And let me say this about the offense: the 62 points scored against UK would have been enough to beat UCONN, NC State, Maryland and Stanford earlier this season. We didn't play defense in the 2nd half like we have all season.

So going into the NCAA tournament, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. It would be nice to cut down on turnovers and shoot better at the line but not at the expense of our bread and butter: defense and rebounding.
Yes, Aimhere should've gotten back out there. It's crazy though, after the game she was the last to leave the court and had to me helped up by one of the staff. She knew her presence would've made a difference. Or maybe not - because after the way the squad played against Ole Miss I knew Kentucky had a shot. Aimhere's turnovers have gotten better of late with the occasionally headscratchers.

Free throws have always been an issue with this class - work on that. Tighten the defense back up and better guard play.....they got this. Like I've said before - coach and team wanted the Reg & SEC championships. As a fan - at this point I just want the National.

Yes, Aimhere should've gotten back out there. It's crazy though, after the game she was the last to leave the court and had to me helped up by one of the staff. She knew her presence would've made a difference. Or maybe not - because after the way the squad played against Ole Miss I knew Kentucky had a shot. Aimhere's turnovers have gotten better of late with the occasionally headscratchers.

Free throws have always been an issue with this class - work on that. Tighten the defense back up and better guard play.....they got this. Like I've said before - coach and team wanted the Reg & SEC championships. As a fan - at this point I just want the National.
It's hindsight to say Amihere or Cardosa should have been in the game. One would have been guessing that they would have improved the offense or defense. The truth is that this was Kentucky's night and they were hitting their outside shots. It's tough to say that we were not playing defense because we shut down all inside activity and the scored in the 60's. It just was Kentucky's day. At one point, Kentucky was in second to last place, and I questioned whether they should keep there coach because of her inability to get the ball to her key player. We saved her job.

It's hindsight to say Amihere or Cardosa should have been in the game. One would have been guessing that they would have improved the offense or defense. The truth is that this was Kentucky's night and they were hitting their outside shots. It's tough to say that we were not playing defense because we shut down all inside activity and the scored in the 60's. It just was Kentucky's day. At one point, Kentucky was in second to last place, and I questioned whether they should keep there coach because of her inability to get the ball to her key player. We saved her job.
We didn't save her job, 9 game winning streak prior to SECT saved her job. Kentucky has been injured and missing pieces all season long. They lost their way midseason and really found to overcome while staying healthy. It speaks volumes on both the players and coach that they are now a team to watch heading into tournament.

Yes, but the cupboard is bare for next season. She did not change her offense during the season to get her best player more touches when they were losing.

Will Dawn be looking at the portal for another guard? Raven hardly got her feet wet before the injury.

In all honesty, I bet Cooke and Rivers will be cross-trained at PG. I doubt Dawn likes the idea of teaching her offense to a newcomer, just for them to be gone the next season. I think it would have to be a pretty special talent for Dawn to reconsider.

I still wouldn't rule out a grad transfer point guard. There's nothing like a experienced PG. I doubt Cooke plays the point, I can see Amihere before Cooke. If we don't go after a PG it will be because Dawn believes in potential of Rivers as a backup PG.

No, we did not. There are many coaches who should be fired before that woman.

I still wouldn't rule out a grad transfer point guard. There's nothing like a experienced PG. I doubt Cooke plays the point, I can see Amihere before Cooke. If we don't go after a PG it will be because Dawn believes in potential of Rivers as a backup PG.
I don't want to see Cooke at the point either

Prediction for top four teams in Greensboro regional.
1. South Carolina
2. Iowa State
3. Michigan
4. Oklahoma

I don't think it is ideal for Cooke to play PG either but I think Dawn will want to have experience at the spot while Raven is learning the offense. I see it as the next move to broaden Zia's game in the off season. Even in that scenario, I believe Staley will hope that Raven will take the brunt of the time at PG -- 30 minutes or so. Zia would be the assurance that we have a person who has experience playing Dawn's style of basketball and has college experience. Next year is going to be all about feeding the bigs (not really a new script) so we just need someone who can make that happen. I think Zia can do that at PG while Raven is on the bench.

Only bringing in two players for the fall and with the number of graduating seniors, Dawn has room for a transfer or two.

The Determination of Destiny​

Long a*s article about Destiny Littleton - but good read none the same. Hope Staley plays her enough (especially Sweet 16 and beyond) to make her be the X Factor we all know she is.

Boston, Henderson Add All-America Titles​

Boston - 1st team
Henderson - 3rd team

Congrats also LSU Kayla Pointer out of LSU for making the 3rd team selection as well. SEC!!!

Ole Miss got slapped in the face in the 1st round by South Dakota. The way SD plays I knew they would beat Ole Miss.

But overall, I'm happy for them. From 0-16 in SEC play to top four in conf play two years later, made the AP top 25 since 2002 and getting to the big dance since 2007. I don't know what the team will look like next year with Austin gone - but they've achieved a lot in a very short time.

Ole Miss got slapped in the face in the 1st round by South Dakota. The way SD plays I knew they would beat Ole Miss.

But overall, I'm happy for them. From 0-16 in SEC play to top four in conf play two years later, made the AP top 25 since 2002 and getting to the big dance since 2007. I don't know what the team will look like next year with Austin gone - but they've achieved a lot in a very short time.

It was a case where Ole Miss was a worthy NCAAT team, but were NCAAT rookies, so to speak. But they'll now have this little experience in their pockets, and will look to get back next season and advance further, I'm sure......

Reactions: gamecockblack
I had UCF winning in my bracket.

So, without their leading scorer another SEC team out in the 1st round (Florida). However, they are just another school who shocked us all and rose to prominence in the conf and on the national stage.

I forgot Arkansas lost as well yesterday. Although, I had them winning that game it could've gone either way with both teams loving the three.

Princeton just busted my bracket.

Only 3 SEC schools left standing for the 2nd round!!!

Last edited:
Too bad it isn't 2. Would have liked to see Tenn go down.
Oh snap! I forgot Tenn was still in the field. 4 SEC teams still in

Although, I had LSU winning in my bracket I would have loved to have seen Jack St beat them. That was a helleva game - the best in the 1st round

After watching all of the upsets and near-upsets so far, I've got to say that this has been a very entertaining weekend of NCAA Women's basketball. Some of the lower seeded teams have surprising talent, and ladies that don't shy away from the glare of the spotlight. This year's March Madness could be one of the best ever, assuming our Gamecocks stay the course and bring home the championship.

Gotta shore up our perimeter shooting, continue our rebounding and defense, and never let up off the gas.

Reactions: Milks26
Playing Miami today @ 3 on ABC!!!

Miami is a team that has been on the rise but I still think we win this one pretty handily.

Prediction: 72 USC - 54 Miami

Playing Miami today @ 3 on ABC!!!

Miami is a team that has been on the rise but I still think we win this one pretty handily.

Prediction: 72 USC - 54 Miami
I’ve been super nervous about this one bc of what happened against Kentucky :/. I know we are the more talented team and it does give me comfort that their last two losses were against teams with a dominant center. Hope they dominate all 4 quarters today!

I’ve been super nervous about this one bc of what happened against Kentucky :/. I know we are the more talented team and it does give me comfort that their last two losses were against teams with a dominant center. Hope they dominate all 4 quarters today!
Miami has two tall players that get good minutes. I don't know much about them but just looking at the stats, and as you were saying, it seems like they are pretty much neutralized when facing taller teams. I expect lots of minutes with both Boston and Cardoso on the floor.

Reactions: Cockygirl1976
A big question is how is Cardoso is doing physically and if she's able to play for how long. Miami is on hot streak very much like Kentucky was. They have a pretty good depth of players and as the first round shown (5 players with 10+ points) they could score as a team. They've been hot from 3 as of late and they could be dangerous if we don't play well for the full 40 minutes.

Unlike Howard I don't think they'll be afraid of the moment. I think the FAMS could impact the game and the fact that this is the first time played us this season could be also to our advantage. They upset Louisville and Notre Dame in the ACC tournament and ran out of steam against NC State. It'll be important to continue our dominance in rebounding and taking advantage of our post depth, our guard play will likely determine the ease of which we can win this or future games.

I appreciate a grinder like Saxton doing her part to bring us this far, but it's time for Cardoso and/or Amihere to step it up during the tournament. Both have exceptional upside. Today we saw that from Cardoso. 11 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks. More please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT