ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2022 WBB Team

We have two open dates in the second half of Jan. So my guess is that the game will move to eithervof those dates

I posted that on the 8th, right after the SEC schedule was announced. Then later that day on another WBB site, a poster noted an article from wbtw.com that made the unofficial "official" announcement that the CT game would be on the 27th of January:

The Gamecocks stay home to face NCAA Sweet 16 foe Texas A&M on Thu., Jan. 13, but are back on the road at Arkansas three days later (Jan. 16). After skipping a midweek game on the schedule, South Carolina faces a busy week hosting Vanderbilt on Mon., Jan. 24, and non-conference rival UConn on Thu., Jan. 27, before traveling to Florida for a Sunday title (Jan. 30).

That article was also posted on the 8th. But I hadn't seen an OFFICIAL official announcement until I think it was Wednesday or Thursday that I checked the official sources for our 2021-22 WBB schedule: the athletic websites of the WBB programs that we've scheduled, LOL. And CT had finally updated their schedule to make it as official as it's going to get for a bit:

So according to Connecticut, we're playing on the 27th at 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast on ESPN......

I posted that on the 8th, right after the SEC schedule was announced. Then later that day on another WBB site, a poster noted an article from wbtw.com that made the unofficial "official" announcement that the CT game would be on the 27th of January:

That article was also posted on the 8th. But I hadn't seen an OFFICIAL official announcement until I think it was Wednesday or Thursday that I checked the official sources for our 2021-22 WBB schedule: the athletic websites of the WBB programs that we've scheduled, LOL. And CT had finally updated their schedule to make it as official as it's going to get for a bit:

So according to Connecticut, we're playing on the 27th at 7 p.m., and the game will be broadcast on ESPN......
You always go above and beyond! Thanks🥳

Reactions: Conway Gamecock
We're going back to South Dakota for the 2nd year in a row. Dawn's establishing that recruiting pipeline to the Dakotas. lol

I think she likes that matchup because they play a type of basketball we don't see much in the SEC but could see in the tournament.

Technically the game last year was part of a tournament and didn’t count as the back end of a home and home.
S Dak. Is the scrappiest group i’ve seen in quite a while. Fundamentally sound on both ends, smart, don’t get rattled or scared. They were MVC champs and return all starters including either 2 or 3 super seniors

I totally agree. If Beal adds an arch to her shot, she may increase her accuracy. We need an outside shooter in that #3 position. My hopes is that Beal shoots at a 30 to 35 percent clip and Rivers provides instant offense to that slot.
I really hope Beal worked on her shot this off-season and her confidence in it. She is such a solid player outside of that. If she can get herself at around 35% at the 3 point line, that one change alone would likely be enough to put the team in a position to win a title, and that's without even considering the new pieces we add

Reactions: Gamekem
I totally agree. If Beal adds an arch to her shot, she may increase her accuracy. We need an outside shooter in that #3 position. My hopes is that Beal shoots at a 30 to 35 percent clip and Rivers provides instant offense to that slot.
Don't sleep on Hall too, I think she's a little underrated and had a growth spurt. We now have plenty of options at all positions. Last year we were about only 7/8 players deep, I imagine we will at least be 11 to 12 players deep this season. I think probability is high that somebody else can shoot the ball consistently from range amongst them.

If UConn and us both make the finals of the Paradise Tournament, I would love to see both coaches play their incoming 5 versus our incoming 5. Keep all of last years starters for both teams on the bench and sub only with last year's subs.

I mean, that game really doesn't matter who wins that early matchup. January is what matters for seeding.

If UConn and us both make the finals of the Paradise Tournament, I would love to see both coaches play their incoming 5 versus our incoming 5. Keep all of last years starters for both teams on the bench and sub only with last year's subs.

I mean, that game really doesn't matter who wins that early matchup. January is what matters for seeding.
Interesting concept if it where billed as only an exhibition game. Otherwise, it affects ranking, perceptions, etc. Too much competitive spirit on both teams to do that. IMHO

Reactions: cockhornleghorn

Auriemma's tendency over the years is to rely on his starters for much of the games, especially against higher ranked opponents. He typically relies on 2-3 reserves getting major rotation minutes, then the rest only get into games that are decided blowouts at the end. And even then, it's typically for 2-4 minutes only. It's understandable for years when CT has had smaller rosters, but even when they've had larger rosters, they've done the same.

Coach Staley is more often expected to bring in more reserves - if she has them - for the 2nd and 4th quarters. Get 3-4 involved in games. We've had more games than I can count where we went into 4th qtrs with a huge lead, then lose half the cushion because Staley put in a unit of 5 consisting entirely of reserves, for most if not all of the qtr.

There's arguments for both sides: with Auriemma's way, it solidifies chemistry and unity for the starters to be on the same page come NCAAT time, and with their motion offense that requires spacing, timing, and everyone working on the same page, that's important. It also helps the blowouts, as opponents tire out with the lack of depth, and lose spirit as they fall behind, while the CT starters pad their stats.

With Dawn's side, it gives reserves more game experience to rely on come NCAAT time, and it gives the starters needed rest from the physicality of conference play in the SEC. But it also results in sloppy endings to games where large leads diminish, shooting %s decline, and outside perceptions of team strength are stunted....

I will vote for a roster that has Beal and Rivers on opposite teams. That's the matchup I most want to see.

Will be interesting to see if she makes an unofficial visit this Friday.

Checking out the pics now. Coach and her staff are coming in heavy after her. We're in her Top 7. Respect to her she's staying close to home. Furthest school is VTech.

Checking out the pics now. Coach and her staff are coming in heavy after her. We're in her Top 7. Respect to her she's staying close to home. Furthest school is VTech.
I thought FSU was one of her schools...if that's the case, FSU is further away than TECH...From Cola just take I77 to Wytheville VA and I81 to Blacksburg...about 285 miles....Tallahassee would be over 300 miles...

Roster 2 has Boston and Cardoso on the same team. It will be interesting to see how Dawn uses them during the season, but they should be on opposite teams for the scrimmage. I'll take the first option.

Both options have Beal and Rivers on separate teams; hopefully they match up in the game.

Reactions: Gamekem
We have been recruiting her since 7th grade and a coach has been at every one of her games that did not conflict with one of our games for the past three years.

Pretty good stuff about the team and the newcomers.
Said that Hall was a terror on D, was REALLY HIGH on Rivers and to my relief said she is an excellent and willing passer, nice things said about Feagin but also said she is in the most competitive situation and is learning the hard way that you have to compete every minute every day.

Not a lot of scoring on the perimeter for the black team, unless Russell and Beal step up. Coach should have picked my roster.

Lele is listed on the roster. I wonder if she's going to play.

Not a lot of scoring on the perimeter for the black team, unless Russell and Beal step up. Coach should have picked my roster.

Lele is listed on the roster. I wonder if she's going to play.
Lele is participating in some drills in practice but has not scrimmaged yet according to DS. My guess is this about recognition.

As to outside scoring for the black team. Russell, Johnson and Littleton all have 3 point range. And Amihere at least has the confidence that she is a very good outside shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT