ADVERTISEMENT

70’s hoops

...Great to see Joe, Uncle Gene and Bill Ouzts remembered. Throwbacks to the day when it seemed USC did things first class and the sky seemed to be the limit.
Gene was outstanding behind the "mic", and Ouzts was just elegant - if that could ever be said about a voice - a great credit to the "product" back then. He had a bearing that reminded me of the Yankee Stadium PA announcer, Bob Sheppard, "The voice of God" for 57 years.

Last edited:
The name I remember the most being introduced, due to how he said it(think it was Joe Petty) was "Danny T(a),,,raylor(a)!." He really drew it out. Sounded like "ta-railah!" which I was trying to do.

Gene was outstanding behind the Mike, and Ouzts was just elegant - if that could ever be said about a voice - a great credit to the "product" back then. He had a bearing that reminded me of the Yankee Stadium PA announcer, Bob Sheppard, "The voice of God" for 57 years.
Perfect analogy

Reactions: king ward
I would believe WIS-TV locally televising USC home basketball games during that time would be a money losing endeavor. Maybe USC was helping out with the financing to air those games locally.

CD Chesley who regionally aired the ACC games back then quit doing so because it wasn't profitable anymore.

I would believe WIS-TV locally televising USC home basketball games during that time would be a money losing endeavor. Maybe USC was helping out with the financing to air those games locally.

CD Chesley who regionally aired the ACC games back then quit doing so because it wasn't profitable anymore.
Uhmm, no. You literally couldn't be more wrong. Gamecock basketball games on WIS in the glory years of Frank McGuire were the highest rated programming on the station and they routinely pre-empted NBC's most watched programming, WIS management gave those games credit for cable systems outside the Midlands in the Pee Dee, Charlotte area and the Augusta area picking up the station, greatly expanding its advertising sales. John Thorne who started the first cable system in the Myrtle Beach area where I grew up told me that the ability to see Gamecock basketball games on WIS was the single biggest factor in him getting off the ground in the 1960's and without it he probably would have gone broke

And CD Chesley was outbid by Raycom for the ACC basketball package in the early 80's. The ACC claimed at the time that Chesley had "retired" and voluntarily given up the package, but he responded publicly that he hadn't and was bitterly upset. Like Gamecock basketball in the late 60's and early 70's the Chesley produced ACC games in the 60's, 70's and 80's were blockbuster programming and network affiliates in the Carolinas aired the games in prime time bumping regular programming

Uhmm, no. You literally couldn't be more wrong. Gamecock basketball games on WIS in the glory years of Frank McGuire were the highest rated programming on the station and they routinely pre-empted NBC's most watched programming, WIS management gave those games credit for cable systems outside the Midlands in the Pee Dee, Charlotte area and the Augusta area picking up the station, greatly expanding its advertising sales. John Thorne who started the first cable system in the Myrtle Beach area where I grew up told me that the ability to see Gamecock basketball games on WIS was the single biggest factor in him getting off the ground in the 1960's and without it he probably would have gone broke

And CD Chesley was outbid by Raycom for the ACC basketball package in the early 80's. The ACC claimed at the time that Chesley had "retired" and voluntarily given up the package, but he responded publicly that he hadn't and was bitterly upset. Like Gamecock basketball in the late 60's and early 70's the Chesley produced ACC games in the 60's, 70's and 80's were blockbuster programming and network affiliates in the Carolinas aired the games in prime time bumping regular programming
Chesley gave way to Jefferson-Pilot, and Jefferson-Pilot gave way to Raycom, I believe.

Chesley gave way to Jefferson-Pilot, and Jefferson-Pilot gave way to Raycom, I believe.

Here's the whole story

I wasn't aware that WIS also televised ACC matchups with USC...I thought the WIS telecasts didn't start until after Carolina left the ACC and the McGuire glory years were in the past.

I wasn't aware that WIS also televised ACC matchups with USC...I thought the WIS telecasts didn't start until after Carolina left the ACC and the McGuire glory years were in the past.
According to USC media guides, WIS started televising all USC home basketball games in the 1967-68 season. They also carried the Chesley ACC network games when we were in the ACC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I didn't move to Columbia until 1971 and I was surprised in 1972 that a local station was televising the Carolina home games. They were before their time doing that. I didn't realize other stations were also picking up the telecasts, so I can see now how it was profitable for WIS.

Thanks for the info...I didn't move to Columbia until 1971 and I was surprised in 1972 that a local station was televising the Carolina home games. They were before their time doing that. I didn't realize other stations were also picking up the telecasts, so I can see now how it was profitable for WIS.
WIS didn't start syndicating the games to other stations in South Carolina until we left the ACC. Back then there were no restrictions on cable systems picking up over the air stations from other markets and McGuire's teams were widely credited for WIS being on so many cable systems outside of the midlands.

It's almost impossible to explain the enthusiasm for USC basketball under McGuire when we were in the ACC and the first few years after leaving. Every home game was sold out from 1964-65 thru 1974-75 although by 1973 there were some no-shows. We would play UNC and State in Charlotte and Clemson at their place and our fans would dominate the crowd because road games were so many people's only chance to buy a ticket. WIS had a gold mine and rode it for all they could

Last edited:
Reactions: rhewredi
So the McGuire glory years were still going after Carolina left the ACC, so it still made sense for WIS to continue televising the home games. My thinking was that viewership would be down since you wouldn't have the ACC rivalries anymore...Niagara, St Bonaventure, Fordham, etc, didn't have the same cachet, I would have thought.

So the McGuire glory years were still going after Carolina left the ACC, so it still made sense for WIS to continue televising the home games. My thinking was that viewership would be down since you wouldn't have the ACC rivalries anymore...Niagara, St Bonaventure, Fordham, etc, didn't have the same cachet, I would have thought.
It took a few years. it wasn't quite life and death anymore but still a huge deal. Plus, most of us, at least people I knew, believed we would get back in the ACC since they had dropped the 800 rule a year after we left. Even, in Coach McGuire's last season when we averaged like 6,500 people a game (they announced attendance on people in the seats not tickets sold back then) we still came close to selling out on season tickets. A lot of season ticket holders might only go to the Marquette, Notre Dame, Kentucky or clemson games but they still remembered what it had been like to get a ticket and thought we might get back to that some day and wanted to keep their priority.

They were wrong

It took a few years. it wasn't quite life and death anymore but still a huge deal. Plus, most of us, at least people I knew, believed we would get back in the ACC after they dropped the 800 rule. Even, in Coach McGuire's last season when we averaged like 6,500 people a game (they announced attendance on people in the seats not tickets sold back then) we still came close to selling out on season tickets. A lot of season ticket holders might only go to the Marquette, Notre Dame, Kentucky or clemson games but they still remembered what it had been like to get a ticket and thought we might get back to that some day and wanted to keep their priority.

They were wrong
It was like an inner tube with a slow leak after we got out of the ACC.

Reactions: 81 Alumnus
It was like an inner tube with a slow leak after we got out of the ACC.
Yep. Perfect analogy. A little less every season. Then the 1975 team being pre-season top 5 and then flopping (although by today's standards it would've been a 7 or 8 seed in the Dance) and people buying into the idea that Carlen knew what he was doing accelerated things

Found it. The 1972-73 basketball highlight film narrated by Joe Petty. "Michael" Dunleavy, "Alexander" English and "Captain Kevin"Joyce

I remember being at that Indiana game. Quinn Buckner was killing us in the first half, but that second half comeback shut him down. The Coliseum was so loud in that second half.

I remember being at that Indiana game. Quinn Buckner was killing us in the first half, but that second half comeback shut him down. The Coliseum was so loud in that second half.
Yep! I remember Coach McGuire said after the game, "my God, what would we do without Kevin Joyce?" And the legend is that Bob Knight trashed his room at the Holiday Inn next door screaming about "f.....g Joyce!"

Joe Petty used to call it the "top of the keyhole" He was the only person i have ever heard say that. He also said "harrassed" with the emphasis on the first syllable.
Yep. Can hear it like it was yesterday. I mentioned earlier in the thread that after all these years, when I watch a game, the soundtrack in my head is still Joe Petty and all his great catch phrases and terms delivered masterfully in that Boston accent.

Are there any clips online of Bob Fulton? He was before my time
man you missed a legend - distinctive voice from a man who absolutely knew how to call a football or basketball game on the radio - there will never be another Bob Fulton!!

man you missed a legend - distinctive voice from a man who absolutely knew how to call a football or basketball game on the radio - there will never be another Bob Fulton!!

Yeah my friends growing up aways talked about him. They attended games their entire lives. But my first Carolina game I really remember was the Carquest bowl and that was on TV. I believe that was his last game.

Oh yeah they televised the ACC games, and it was some friggin intense stuff. They hated us, and we hated them because of that.; every game except clemmons was life and death. I tell you one thing, people talk now about planning their weekends around the football games; back then you planned your LIFE around those broadcasts and games. Football doesn't hold a candle to what basketball was when we were in the ACC those years.

McKay adopted Irmo as his city for his morning radio show and spun humorous stories around the ancient Irmese

Yes, the late Gene McKay. Later, he and 2 others (can't remember their names and, don't know if they are still around), left WIS radio and bought a radio station just across the river in West Columbia in the 1970s. McKay was also the PA guy for the football games. At the conclusion of the football games, he would always tell the fans to not forget to floss. He was a character.
It was Gene McKay…..and he also called some football games….he used to sat 3rd down a 3 centimeters…..

Gene was outstanding behind the "mic", and Ouzts was just elegant - if that could ever be said about a voice - a great credit to the "product" back then. He had a bearing that reminded me of the Yankee Stadium PA announcer, Bob Sheppard, "The voice of God" for 57 years.

Ah, Sheppard & my first trip……..goose bumps every inning☺️

Ah, Sheppard & my first trip……..goose bumps every inning☺️

August ‘70. Flew into NY on a Friday night after work.

Sat was Old Timers Game, then a Sunday doubleheader. I was in heaven.
O’s broadcaster (name escapes me), had been @ WSPA. We had a nice conversation.

Little amazing that we’ve had 2 from upstate that have gone on to land pro jobs.

August ‘70. Flew into NY on a Friday night after work.

Sat was Old Timers Game, then a Sunday doubleheader. I was in heaven.
O’s broadcaster (name escapes me), had been @ WSPA. We had a nice conversation.

Little amazing that we’ve had 2 from upstate that have gone on to land pro jobs.
Their legendary radio play-by-play man then was Chuck Thompson and he was there for a long time - '62 - '83. He also moved over to do TV games for the O's and NFL TV work when the Colts were being shown on the old weekly telecasts. In the case of baseball, he sort of worked the way the Atlanta announcers worked when games were on TBS - a few innings on radio and a few on TV.

Yes, the late Gene McKay. Later, he and 2 others (can't remember their names and, don't know if they are still around), left WIS radio and bought a radio station just across the river in West Columbia in the 1970s. McKay was also the PA guy for the football games. At the conclusion of the football games, he would always tell the fans to not forget
They use to be on Sunny 100.1 FM.

That was good radio. True local guys doing local radio.

I thought Daggett's nightly sportscasts were excellent. He only had a three-minute block so conciseness was key. I ran into him down at the Masters one year and he was extremely nice to me. He told me that what he enjoyed most about broadcasting was the writing.

Do you recall Ed Carter and David Stanton?

I ran into them at a grocery store together once. THey were in a hurry. Seemed friendly but you could tell people recognized them and neither had time to talk.

Ed Carter was sort of stiff but he was old school solid.

Do you recall Ed Carter and David Stanton?

I ran into them at a grocery store together once. THey were in a hurry. Seemed friendly but you could tell people recognized them and neither had time to talk.

Ed Carter was sort of stiff but he was old school solid.
Yes, sir. I remember them both. And I met Joe Pinner one time. Golden Age of WIS-TV.

Yes, sir. I remember them both. And I met Joe Pinner one time. Golden Age of WIS-TV.

I ran into Joe Pinner and who I thought was his son at the Hardees that use to be at the corner of Assembly and Blossom before a basketball game. (I assume he has a son because he looked a lot like Joe)

Joe was just like what you see on tv. I didn't bother them. I was just out of college. But Joe was talking to his son and at their table and was talking just like you'd expect him to. He seemed very friendly and him and his son were laughing. (I guess it was his son, it seemed like it- guy appeared to be an adult)

I also ran into Dawndy Mercer at church one time. I was a visitor -first time. SHe saw me standing by myself and immediately introduced herself and then asked me where I wanted to go and showed me the way. She was friendly and helped me.

I saw Rick Henry once grocery shopping. He didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered by anyone. I guess I can't blame him.

I ran into Joe Pinner and who I thought was his son at the Hardees that use to be at the corner of Assembly and Blossom before a basketball game. (I assume he has a son because he looked a lot like Joe)

Joe was just like what you see on tv. I didn't bother them. I was just out of college. But Joe was talking to his son and at their table and was talking just like you'd expect him to. He seemed very friendly and him and his son were laughing. (I guess it was his son, it seemed like it- guy appeared to be an adult)

I also ran into Dawndy Mercer at church one time. I was a visitor -first time. SHe saw me standing by myself and immediately introduced herself and then asked me where I wanted to go and showed me the way. She was friendly and helped me.

I saw Rick Henry once grocery shopping. He didn't seem like he wanted to be bothered by anyone. I guess I can't blame him.
I've run into Rick Henry a couple of time, once at the Outback Bowl when we beat Ohio State the first time. This was the night before in Ybor City. I introduced myself and offered a handshake. His response was tepid at best. He's a cold fish. Next time I saw him, I did not engage because his manner was not inviting. I was sorry about his bout with cancer, however.

I've run into Rick Henry a couple of time, once at the Outback Bowl when we beat Ohio State the first time. This was the night before in Ybor City. I introduced myself and offered a handshake. His response was tepid at best. He's a cold fish. Next time I saw him, I did not engage because his manner was not inviting. I was sorry about his bout with cancer, however.
A cold fish is a good description. That's exactly how I would describe the time I saw him at the grocery store. Had a "don't bother me" look about him - and clearly there were several people there- me included- that recognized him. He had to sense that and just wasn't interested in being friendly. But again, I try not to make too many assumptions. He could have been having an awful day too. It wasn't like he was telling people to get lost. He wasn't doing that.

I will say though- some people that do such jobs are not really comfortable around people they don't know. They are just introverted. It's only when the cameras are on that they do their acting bit and outside of their comfort zone, they are quite shy in many ways.

It's always hard to tell.

I read that about Don Knotts once. One of his brother in laws said people expected Don to be the life of any party but if Don was at a party (which he didn't like to be), he was probably sitting on the couch by himself in the corner because he was shy in person and didn't want to bother anyone. He wasn't what people saw on tv.

A cold fish is a good description. That's exactly how I would describe the time I saw him at the grocery store. Had a "don't bother me" look about him - and clearly there were several people there- me included- that recognized him. He had to sense that and just wasn't interested in being friendly. But again, I try not to make too many assumptions. He could have been having an awful day too. It wasn't like he was telling people to get lost. He wasn't doing that.

I will say though- some people that do such jobs are not really comfortable around people they don't know. They are just introverted. It's only when the cameras are on that they do their acting bit and outside of their comfort zone, they are quite shy in many ways.

I read that about Don Knotts once. One of his brother in laws said people expected Don to be the life of any party but if Don was at a party (which he didn't like to be), he was probably sitting on the couch by himself in the corner because he was shy in person and didn't want to bother anyone. He wasn't what people saw on tv.
Jerry Lewis was the antithesis of his film persona.

Jerry Lewis was the antithesis of his film persona.

I've heard he was very moody in person and wasn't the laugh a minute guy- very, very insecure. Is that correct?

I know Dean Martin going his own way about destroyed him. Jerry looked at Dean almost like a father figure. But he drove Dean nuts. Dean will be on stage trying to sing one of his songs in a serious way and Jerry was behind him trying to steal the focus with his antics.

Rick Henry literally reads three stories he found on the internet during the day and calls it the sports segment.
I know nothing about the guy personally but his "reporting" is lacking

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT