ADVERTISEMENT

Another round of conference expansion in the works perhaps?

Ive heard a few things recently about a missouri and west virginia conference trade. i doubt seriously anything but rumors will come of it,but people are still thinking out loud about the possibilities

Ive heard a few things recently about a missouri and west virginia conference trade. i doubt seriously anything but rumors will come of it,but people are still thinking out loud about the possibilities

Interesting, but let them keep WVU. Nobody in their right mind would want to play the 'Eers in Morganhole on a Saturday night.

I'd vote for contraction, what do we need Missouri for? Tex A&M is a good school, but they belong in the Big 12 playing teams in their geographic footprint. SEC was perfect with 12 schools,

Interesting, but let them keep WVU. Nobody in their right mind would want to play the 'Eers in Morganhole on a Saturday night.
And you'd be trading a well respected state university for one of the least respected state universities in the country. I can't see it, despite the fact that the SEC alone has no exit fee for departing teams.

I'd vote for contraction, what do we need Missouri for? Tex A&M is a good school, but they belong in the Big 12 playing teams in their geographic footprint. SEC was perfect with 12 schools,
That's nothing compared to how wonderful it was when we were in the ACC with only eight schools. It could only have been better had there been only six schools.

Reactions: Atlanta Cock
I do know missouri wants no part of big 12 . they tried to get out of it 2 years before they finnaly did. they are at odds with texas and oklahoma pretty much running that conference

I do know missouri wants no part of big 12 . they tried to get out of it 2 years before they finnaly did. they are at odds with texas and oklahoma pretty much running that conference
Are you living out there right now? How do they really feel about being in the SEC? Do they feel out of place?

Yes i live in joplin mo. at first no one liked the decison to join the sec because no one thought they would be competive.But they so badly wanted out of the big 12 they jumped on the chance. i think the sec was after because the sec needed better academic accredidation.every one now seems content with the sec. i dont think many people saw the financial benifits at first, but now every one seems to enjoy the sec membership

Lord is Missouri that much better academically than say USC and Bama, and or whoever else is perceived as weak academically. .? USC has gotten pretty damn hard to get into out of state. I think a kid had better have a 3.8 or better to be safe.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
Lord is Missouri that much better academically than say USC and Bama, and or whoever else is perceived as weak academically. .? USC has gotten pretty damn hard to get into out of state. I think a kid had better have a 3.8 or better to be safe.

Mizzou is an AAU school, so they bring something extra to the table. I think UF, UGA, Vandy and A&M are the only others in the SEC.

Missouri has been an AACU school for decades- a distinction neither we nor Bama have been able to garner. Its journalism school is top-tier. Yes, it's a state university that is truly distinguished. The addition of them and A&M, another AACU school, greatly enhanced the academic profile of the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
Except maybe anybody who was scheduled to play LSU in Baton Rouge that same night. Or Alabama anywhere. Or Auburn on the Plains. Or Florida in the Swamp. Come to think of it, I can think of a lot of SEC road environments that would be tougher places to play than Morgantown. Sure, it's cold in November, but it's not Lambeau Field.

Except maybe anybody who was scheduled to play LSU in Baton Rouge that same night. Or Alabama anywhere. Or Auburn on the Plains. Or Florida in the Swamp. Come to think of it, I can think of a lot of SEC road environments that would be tougher places to play than Morgantown. Sure, it's cold in November, but it's not Lambeau Field.
Do they attack team buses and throw rocks off of overpasses at these other places you mentioned?

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_ba73ec89-c2e0-5745-9448-84f82a5cadab.html

Last edited:
West Virginia will never be an SEC member. Maybe they can re-form the Metro. That's more likely.

Do they attack team buses and throw rocks off of overpasses at these other places you mentioned?

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_ba73ec89-c2e0-5745-9448-84f82a5cadab.html

I once had Georgia fans shoot at my car. Or at least I assume they were Georgia fans because I was driving through Georgia at the time.

Seriously, if some of the posters on here are to be believed, a road trip to Athens wearing Gamecock gear is about as risky as a walk through Falujah dressed as a Catholic priest. But their experience was much different than mine. I've been to games at Morgantown and a number of SEC venues, I've never had a scary experience at any of them.

Historically, Mizzou is competitive record-wise in football and basketball with probably half of the other SEC members.
Right. Which is a lot more relevant to athletic conference inclusion, in my opinion, than a university's academic reputation.

Right. Which is a lot more relevant to athletic conference inclusion, in my opinion, than a university's academic reputation.
I'm OK if we can get schools that satisfy both requisites. In the most recent round of expansion, the SEC improved itself in a number of ways - geographically, academically, and athletically.

No way Missouri leaves the SEC money to go back to the big 12
This, unfortunately, is true.

Had the universities of Missouri, Nebraska, and Colorado realized what a bully the folks in Austin would be, my guess is that that they would never have agreed to merge with the SWC remnants.

My preferred conference size is 8 members - you can easily play every school in all sports each year (and twice in basketball). Fewer members should foster greater cohesion.

This, unfortunately, is true.

Had the universities of Missouri, Nebraska, and Colorado realized what a bully the folks in Austin would be, my guess is that that they would never have agreed to merge with the SWC remnants.

My preferred conference size is 8 members - you can easily play every school in all sports each year (and twice in basketball). Fewer members should foster greater cohesion.

It's not about cohesion or rivalries or fans anymore, it's about money and only about money.

I'm OK if we can get schools that satisfy both requisites. In the most recent round of expansion, the SEC improved itself in a number of ways - geographically, academically, and athletically.

SEC schools should not worry about trying to compete for academic rankings. Many of the schools in the SEC were created in part to educate poor residents, including minorities who would never have a chance to attend college. Kramer and Slive both struggled to come to terms with the Big 10 and trying to match their higher academic ratings. They learned it wasn't necessary. Academic ratings and rankings by such publications as the US News and World Report are misleading and cause more harm than good. I say there is a higher ideal to providing a good education to poor citizens in our southern states than there is in chasing artificial ribbons and pats on the backs that simply raise tuition and create an arms race that serves very few. Clempson has totally betrayed their charter in search of a golden calf. We should be proud that we have schools in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina that strive to provide an education to people that would otherwise be left out. As an engineer I have worked with many engineers and scientist educated in schools all over the world and I was well prepared to compete in my field thanks to my education at USC.

Our academics are just fine, the people we graduate are as good as any in the world.

SEC schools should not worry about trying to compete for academic rankings. Many of the schools in the SEC were created in part to educate poor residents, including minorities who would never have a chance to attend college. Kramer and Slive both struggled to come to terms with the Big 10 and trying to match their higher academic ratings. They learned it wasn't necessary. Academic ratings and rankings by such publications as the US News and World Report are misleading and cause more harm than good. I say there is a higher ideal to providing a good education to poor citizens in our southern states than there is in chasing artificial ribbons and pats on the backs that simply raise tuition and create an arms race that serves very few. Clempson has totally betrayed their charter in search of a golden calf. We should be proud that we have schools in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina that strive to provide an education to people that would otherwise be left out. As an engineer I have worked with many engineers and scientist educated in schools all over the world and I was well prepared to compete in my field thanks to my education at USC.

Our academics are just fine, the people we graduate are as good as any in the world.
These are still universities. Their reputations ought to mean something to them. If your league is deficient in some area and you have an opportunity to improve that area without diminishing yourself in athletics, you take advantage of that opportunity. The SEC did that in the latest round of expansion - plus it expanded it's footprint into new territories. Nothing to criticize.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
Missouri in the SEC is a joke. aTm I get, but Mizzou is like taking a nice glass of scotch, filling it with ice and letting it sit for 4 hours and then drinking it.

Should've taken FSU or Clemson. I know UF and Carolina would've raised hell, but for the betterment of the conference as a whole, those were the only moves.

If anything Missouri still prolly belongs in the B1G with Nebraska and Illinois.

If WVU could somehow make it into the ACC they'd be a great fit. Football-wise anyway. Any mumbo jumbo about 'academics' was thrown in the trash with Louisville came on board. Drop the charade and just get better.

Missouri in the SEC is a joke. aTm I get, but Mizzou is like taking a nice glass of scotch, filling it with ice and letting it sit for 4 hours and then drinking it.

Should've taken FSU or Clemson. I know UF and Carolina would've raised hell, but for the betterment of the conference as a whole, those were the only moves.

If anything Missouri still prolly belongs in the B1G with Nebraska and Illinois.

If WVU could somehow make it into the ACC they'd be a great fit. Football-wise anyway. Any mumbo jumbo about 'academics' was thrown in the trash with Louisville came on board. Drop the charade and just get better.
It wasn't about taking or leaving anybody. You seem to think those teams were available to us when A&M and Mizzou came in. They weren't looking to get in and weren't going to pay the $35 million exit fee and give up any TV $$ rights to buy their way in.

It wasn't about taking or leaving anybody. You seem to think those teams were available to us when A&M and Mizzou came in. They weren't looking to get in and weren't going to pay the $35 million exit fee and give up any TV $$ rights to buy their way in.
That was all before the ACC GOR. I can't imagine the SEC coming after either of those and them saying no. They weren't any less available than aTm or Mizzou.

That was all before the ACC GOR. I can't imagine the SEC coming after either of those and them saying no. They weren't any less available than aTm or Mizzou.
Neither one of those teams was leaving the ACC for the SEC. Period. Before he left, Bowden had already said that the road forward to the national championship was tougher in the SEC (then). That view prevailed. Florida State even turned the SEC down when we came in - which is the only reason we got to come in. So one of the teams you're touting not only turned the SEC down once, but twice.

Last edited:
Neither one of those teams was leaving the SEC. Period. Before he left, Bowden had already said that the road forward to the national championship was tougher in the SEC (then). That view prevailed. Florida State even turned the SEC down when we came in - which is the only reason we got to come in.
No they didn't. The SEC never invited FSU.

That was a 25+ year old soundbite taken so out of context it's funny. It wasn't Bowden's decision anyway and if Bobby really wanted an easier track to the title he would've joined the SEC and quit playing Miami like Florida did in the 80s. Kramer got wind FSU was listening to an offer from the ACC, got butt-hurt and basically told the SEC membership to not vote to invite FSU, which they did unanimously.

Bottom line is, Clemson, FSU, WVU, Va Tech all would've been better additions than Missouri aka PCU.

Hard to say it hasn't worked out for most involved though.

Nobody looks at the SEC and thinks academics save Vandy, and no one looks at the ACC either and thinks the same with the exception of UVa, Duke, Wake, and formerly UNC...maybe. Maybe BC or Syracuse, even though the casual fan probably still doesn't realize they're in the ACC. No one going to football games is carrying a US News in their pocket checking academic rankings. WVU is crazy as $&@" on a Saturday night, but it's a great place to watch a game, and our fans wouldn't have any problem with them. I never even saw much when I went to game vs Miami, when they were a legit #1 with Ken Dorsey. WVU would've been a nice pickup. Mizzou and aTm are as weird as WVU going to Stillwater and Austin every other fall

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT