ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Projections; Baseball Hosting Prospects

Chris4USC

Dec 6, 2017
We should all be big Baseball America fans right now. They are subscribing to my theory that if Old Dominion wins the Conference-USA, they will be sent to Columbia. It's actually one of the more favorable draws we could get. They have Old Dominion as a 13 seed matched with the 4 seeded Arizona regional.

Meanwhile, D1 baseball stubbornly refuses to consider Old Dominion as a 1 seed. They originally had Charlotte in that spot, then when Charlotte lost they switched it to LA Tech, then when LA Tech lost (they play in an elimination game at 7:30), they switched it to Southern Miss. D1baseball has us going to South Bend playing in the Notre Dame Regional.

Baseball America also has Southern Miss hosting as a 16 seed. The key difference between the projections? D1 baseball loves them some Gonzaga. Not sure how you can compare resumes between Old Dominion and Gonzaga (Old Dominion clearly has a much better resume). But I suspect it has more to do with the fact that it would cute for plucky little west coast Gonzaga to be hosting.

Another thing that has become clear is that the Gamecocks will not be a 1 seed. Too many teams around them are too hot. RPI has dropped to 18. Our only chance runs through a travelling 1 seed. I would also be interested to see what the committee would do if Oklahoma State wins the Big 12 or NC State wins the ACC. You would think that NC State would be sent to Charlotte if they were a 1 seed. I have no idea where OK State would be sent. I can't really decide whether we want to cheer for those teams or not. We wouldn't want them to be selected as 1 seeds OVER Old Dominion (who has a much better chance of being sent here), but it wouldn't be a bad backup plan if OK State won the Big 12 and we could lobby to host them.

Just some random musings for the day.

Notable Games Today:

OK State plays West Virginia at 5. Can't decide who we want to win there, but I reckon OK State would help us. Go Cowboys!
NC State plays UNC at 7. This is a meaningless pod game. NC State already has a date in the semifinals with Georgia Tech tomorrow. I think we still want to cheer for NC State on the off-chance they would be sent here, but I think Charlotte would be the obvious choice for them.
LA Tech plays Western Kentucky in an elimination game at 7:30. This is an easy one. Go Hilltoppers! (That's Western Kentucky's mascot).

Projection links:

Baseball America (yay): https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-ncaa-baseball-tournament-final-projected-field-of-64/

D1Baseball (boo): https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-may-28/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News