ADVERTISEMENT

Best Defense in Men's Basketball

Demedicis1

Oct 13, 2015
Currently we lead the SEC in Scoring Defense. We are ranked 25 in the NCAA but most of the teams ahead of us, like the McNeese Cowboys, the Marist Red Foxes, the Drexel Dragons, and the Saint Thomas Tommies have not really played anyone. Same goes for Houston, Virginia, and Maryland. They had very easy schedules and lost a lot of low scoring games.
Basically, it is a given, South Carolina is not going to give up many points. But a big part of that is our offence.
So, you ask me how is offense a big part of defense? It is because of how we play the game. Go back and watch a game or 2.
Almost every time we have the ball, even when we are not winning, we do not get in a hurry on offense. We go down the court and then start passing the ball a lot. If we are wide open, they may go ahead and shot from 3, but usually until the clock gets down below 10 seconds, they just keep the ball.
Being so much of the clock gets burned up when we are on offense, the other team does not even get a chance to go score.
We had the lead over 30 min. of the UT game. How much of that was spent just holding the ball on offense?
Against UK, 29-1/2 min. I wish someone would track possession time. I bet we top most of the country there. They do not get in a hurry. Even when the other team has a lead, our guys are just so composed, they play the same style and I think that is what shakes up the other team so much. Trying to defend our style is not easy. They spend so much time on D and our D is always back there before they can try a fast break.

Scoring D by way of Offense. Great plan by Coach Paris.

Currently we lead the SEC in Scoring Defense. We are ranked 25 in the NCAA but most of the teams ahead of us, like the McNeese Cowboys, the Marist Red Foxes, the Drexel Dragons, and the Saint Thomas Tommies have not really played anyone. Same goes for Houston, Virginia, and Maryland. They had very easy schedules and lost a lot of low scoring games.
Basically, it is a given, South Carolina is not going to give up many points. But a big part of that is our offence.
So, you ask me how is offense a big part of defense? It is because of how we play the game. Go back and watch a game or 2.
Almost every time we have the ball, even when we are not winning, we do not get in a hurry on offense. We go down the court and then start passing the ball a lot. If we are wide open, they may go ahead and shot from 3, but usually until the clock gets down below 10 seconds, they just keep the ball.
Being so much of the clock gets burned up when we are on offense, the other team does not even get a chance to go score.
We had the lead over 30 min. of the UT game. How much of that was spent just holding the ball on offense?
Against UK, 29-1/2 min. I wish someone would track possession time. I bet we top most of the country there. They do not get in a hurry. Even when the other team has a lead, our guys are just so composed, they play the same style and I think that is what shakes up the other team so much. Trying to defend our style is not easy. They spend so much time on D and our D is always back there before they can try a fast break.

Scoring D by way of Offense. Great plan by Coach Paris.
I think it was the Tennessee game where the announcers said our average possession time was close to 20 seconds. I thought he said that's the longest of any team. I love the patience. It's much like the basketball of old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT