ADVERTISEMENT

Best Player From Your High School

Middleton High School - Cedric Van Buren RB. Went on to play at East Carolina with Jeff Blake when they had all those good teams. Just a great guy too. Talented musician as well.

Easley High and no surprise .. Bennie Galloway and Stanley Morgan . I’ve heard stories about those two guys my entire life . My uncle was Bennie’s Fullback from the time they played Pee wee so I’ve heard all the legendary stories .

Riverside High School:

Football - Brandon Bennet, Treymane Stevens (NC State)

Basketball - Shaun Golden

Baseball - Michael Roth, Kyle Enders (C)

Basketball - Jimmy Foster or Clyde Mayes. Personally, I think Mayes was better.

Baseball - Doug Strange

Football - ?

Wade Hampton High - Greenville

my father was the captain of the basketball team the year Wade Hampton desegregated. He has told me many stories about Clyde, there is a book about that team that came out recently.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Byrnes High: OMG....I'm partial with Lattimore but oh my goodness, all the players that have gone thru Byrnes and represented many DIV1 schools...Carolina, Clemson, UGA, UT, Wake, Duke, NCSU, UK, MSU, Ole Miss...Not sure who would be the best...

Basketball: I do not keep up with.

Baseball: Lots of guys to Clemson and a few to Carolina.

Didn't Anthony get killed in a logging accident? He was a good running back. I hung out with a lot of Union guys and they couldn't wait until Union came to RH to show off Anthony. RH shut him down that night.

I think he was either driving home from work or going to work and had a car accident. Some academic issues prevented him from playing in college. He was a really nice guy.

you got me by a few, i finished in 2000. Don't know if you still pay attention, but the helmets the boys wear now are some of the best I have ever seen, college, pro, etc.

Just a few. 😁

Yeah, those helmets are SHARP! Also, amazing what a change in coaching staff has done for that FB team over the last 3-4yrs!! Chad Leaphart has it going on!!

Mike Fair, QB at Parker High School Golden Tornadoes, Greenville, SC. Also, played at USC.

My alma mater Dreher HS
Alex English BB
Gerald Perry FB played 8 years in the NFL. Went to college on a basketball scholarship. He was state HS player of the year. Ironically An award English did not win
Dreher alum here as well. I concur. Big Gerald was a beast.

Middleton High School - Cedric Van Buren RB. Went on to play at East Carolina with Jeff Blake when they had all those good teams.

Wow, I also went to Middleton. Nice seeing a Razorback posting.

He’s before your time, graduated with me in 1979, but John LaBoard was a heck of a tailback. Truly looked like a man amongst boys. Guy just didn’t have the smarts to go anywhere.

Derek Hughes. Ended up at Michigan State and with knee problems. I think he had a short stint in the Trump League but would have been a NFL RB pretty much for sure had the knees not been a problem.

I played against Derek, very talented guy. Big, about 6’2”, 220, and was very fast. Never knew why he went to Michigan St, not sure how hard S.C. and Clemson recruited him.

I remember him blowing his knee at M State. Sad, guy had the skills to play in the NFL.

On a side note, his FB at BE, think his name was Steve ONeil, something like that...I still have a scar on the bridge of my nose, split it open tackling him head on. From what I was told we both got up wobbly. Very solid guy, good player...think he might’ve gone to Furman or Wofford.

Rock Hill High was probably David Angel for BB and Rick Sanford for football. David wasn't the best player on his team but he was good and 7 feet tall. David Parker was the better player and probably the best "player". Several years ago I introduced him to a doctor's wife who mentioned that she had graduated from Winthrop. David said he went to Winthrop also. She asked if he graduated and he said: "This was in the 70s , the first year they admitted males. There were 4000 girls and 100 guys. What do you think?" If you've ever been near the back gate of the fairgrounds and saw the short Gamecock bus with a guy playing the keyboard and singing, that would be David.
Sanford went to Northwestern. His older brother Steve played at Rock Hill High. You're old like me and can't remember. Tim Jones, Gerald Dixon, Sr., and Chris Hope would be neck and neck for best FB player in my opinion. Louis Moore in basketball. He signed with Indiana but Bobby Knight got rid of him after a year.

Both sad stories in their own way but, Randy Wheeler and Albert Haynesworth. Hartsville High.

I had multiple high schools..
Ac Flora,, Tyrone Corbin and the X man..
Socastee,,, Hunter Refrowe... remeber when he was in a car seat.lol

Greenville High
Dick Dietz, 7 yrs MLB with SF, and a all star.
Red Carter, QB, 50's, in Shrine Bowl, won and out played QB Sonny Jurgensen's NC team. Carter drafted but went into the military after HS.
Herman Dill, basketball, late 40's, played in first North, South game and was MVP. Played 2 yrs in NBA for Ft Wayne Pistons.
Clyde White, football 50's. Shrine Bowl and 3 time ACC all conference

Midland Valley. Pretty easy as we haven’t had many D1 guys. Recently Daniel Carr came through there. A school where 35 years prior had no state title appearances in basketball or football had 3 while he was driving the ship. QB and PG. Won 1 of 2 in basketball and lost 1 to football.
They weren’t beating South Pointe anyways but I would have loved to have seen him healthy in that game. Hamstring kept him stuck in the pocket that game and cost him a North/South spot the week after.

Reactions: BoykinSpanielCock
I played against Derek, very talented guy. Big, about 6’2”, 220, and was very fast. Never knew why he went to Michigan St, not sure how hard S.C. and Clemson recruited him.

I remember him blowing his knee at M State. Sad, guy had the skills to play in the NFL.

On a side note, his FB at BE, think his name was Steve ONeil, something like that...I still have a scar on the bridge of my nose, split it open tackling him head on. From what I was told we both got up wobbly. Very solid guy, good player...think he might’ve gone to Furman or Wofford.

Yes O'neil went to Furman. He played linebacker and FB at BE. Also in that backfield was Jo Nell (they ran a lot of wishbone type 3 back sets). That '77 team was great. At MSU he was actually 2nd in the country in kickoff returns his sophomore year. There was Heisman talk after he had 700ish yards rushing but blew it out in practice before his junior year. What a damn good dude he was. He passed about 12 or so years ago, complications from diabetes.

Rock Hill High was probably David Angel for BB and Rick Sanford for football. David wasn't the best player on his team but he was good and 7 feet tall. David Parker was the better player and probably the best "player". Several years ago I introduced him to a doctor's wife who mentioned that she had graduated from Winthrop. David said he went to Winthrop also. She asked if he graduated and he said: "This was in the 70s , the first year they admitted males. There were 4000 girls and 100 guys. What do you think?" If you've ever been near the back gate of the fairgrounds and saw the short Gamecock bus with a guy playing the keyboard and singing, that would be David.
Rick Sanford played at Northwestern.

Northwestern Grad here.....I was fortunate enough to have been on the same team with Jeff and Pat Burris (Notre Dame/Arkansas) and Cookie Massey (UNC). Jeff Burris proved to be the best player....longevity wise BUT, the best HS player I have ever seen at Dist 3 Stadium (Yes, Clowney included- rival South Pointe) was Dupree Hart. Undersized ( maybe 5’-8”) but amazing. Broke Summerville’s AJ Greene’s Reception record at WR AND he played QB his senior year! SC’s Mr Football opted to play baseball at Charleston - probably due to the lack of D1 offers. Others excelled beyond him after high school, but few dominated like he did in HS.

Last edited:
2 Punters both graduated in 1981.
Dale Hatcher-Clemson-LA Rams-Miami Dolphins
Harry Newsom-Wake Forest-Minnesota Vikings-Pittsburg Steelers
Cheraw High School

Would have been Andre Gause, George Gause, or Allen Patrick (RB - Oklahoma (ran behind Adrian Peterson).

Not sure about all time greats, but impressive list during my HS days at North Augusta:

Football

Steven Mixon - UofSC RB
Fred Vinson - Vandy, Green Bay Packers DB
Johnny Metoyer - Vandy DB
Victor Radcliff - Clemson FB commit, drafted by Royals

Basketball

Antonio Grant - UofSC

Not sure about all time greats, but impressive list during my HS days at North Augusta:

Football

Steven Mixon - UofSC RB
Fred Vinson - Vandy, Green Bay Packers DB
Johnny Metoyer - Vandy DB
Victor Radcliff - Clemson FB commit, drafted by Royals

Basketball

Antonio Grant - UofSC
Also Matt Campbell (TE for USC and OLine for the Panthers)
Craig Baynham (farther back, Ga. Tech and Dallas)

I played little league baseball with Xavier. He outgrew me by 8 inches after that. 😁
I played a pick up game at the Blatt with Xavier. He came in with all his Supersonic gear. He slammed a dunk that rattled all 3 goals in that side of the center. I was quickly replaced because I watched the action between he and Jo Rhett, Terry Dozier, and Jo Jo English.

AJ Green
Regarding basketball? Got no idea. It was Summerville, football was all that mattered.
AJ Green was probably the best basketball player to come through Summerville as well. He won a state championship in basketball averaging 20+ and maybe 10 rebounds per game. (Big shout out to my friend Coach Mulkey who helped lead that Championship team. He died fighting a fire and is remembered as a one of the Charleston 9). There is a great ESPN story about this for all you incredible sports stories.

Go Greenwave!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT