ADVERTISEMENT

Best South Carolina high school football state championship game you remember.

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
I'm biased on this one because it's the town I grew up in as a kid, but 1997 AAAA-II state title when my hometown Walterboro jumped out to a 28-0 halftime lead on Hartsville, only to have Hartsville come storming back in the second to get to within 28-27, they(Hartsville) decide to go for a two point conversion on the last play of the game, and Walterboro stops the two point attempt short of the endzone on the final play to win the state title. I was only 12 years old when I saw this game but I still feel it knocked a few years off my life expectancy.

I'm biased on this one because it's the town I grew up in as a kid, but 1997 AAAA-II state title when my hometown Walterboro jumped out to a 28-0 halftime lead on Hartsville, only to have Hartsville come storming back in the second to get to within 28-27, they(Hartsville) decide to go for a two point conversion on the last play of the game, and Walterboro stops the two point attempt short of the endzone on the final play to win the state title. I was only 12 years old when I saw this game but I still feel it knocked a few years off my life expectancy.
First yr it was decided on the field by the players, 1968………Pinky’s team was loaded.

Bet you remember the kicking my yellow jackets put upon those bulldogs in 95!

Lancaster vs Northwestern and Lancaster vs Union.
Lost both but it was fun to be there.

Lancaster vs Northwestern and Lancaster vs Union.
Lost both but it was fun to be there.
The Lancaster/Northwestern game was a classic. Roscoe decided to try to win it in regulation on a two-point conversion. The try failed and Lancaster lost a heartbreaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoer31
If I remember correctly a freaking hook and ladder play beat us(Berkeley) in the lower state game. I graduated the year before.

If I remember correctly a freaking hook and ladder play beat us(Berkeley) in the lower state game. I graduated the year before.

Y'all led Walterboro 21-7 in that game at one point, ended up losing 25-21, at home too! Lowcountry was rough back then, 3 teams that were on Walterboro's schedule every year in that era were Berkeley, Summerville, and Stratford. That region(6 AAAA) had Berkeley winning state titles in 1994 and 1996, Walterboro playing for the state title in 1995 and winning in 1997, Summerville winning a title in 1998, and Stratford winning a state title in 1999. You didn't win that region back then, you survived it!

Reactions: TAV31
Y'all led Walterboro 21-7 in that game at one point, ended up losing 25-21, at home too! Lowcountry was rough back then, 3 teams that were on Walterboro's schedule every year in that era were Berkeley, Summerville, and Stratford. That region(6 AAAA) had Berkeley winning state titles in 1994 and 1996, Walterboro playing for the state title in 1995 and winning in 1997, Summerville winning a title in 1998, and Stratford winning a state title in 1999. You didn't win that region back then, you survived it!
Stratford vs Berkeley in 94 had around 11,000 people at the stadium. 10-0 vs 10-0.

Reactions: redrogers
Can't help myself, but I played for Clover in 85 when we beat a highly ranked Broome team. Not the State Championship, but I started both ways....lol

Stratford vs Berkeley in 94 had around 11,000 people at the stadium. 10-0 vs 10-0.

Even though I was a backup, maybe I had good timing, the school I played for up here in Virginia (Louisa County) I was on a team my senior year that won the school's first district title in 31 years, they did go on after I graduated to play for the state title twice, they lost, losing undefeated seasons on both occasions.

Like the old region 2 AAAA in the upstate….Gaffney, Spartanburg, doorman, Byrnes, rock hill, northwestern, Union, and boiling springs….tough!

Y

The Lancaster/Northwestern game was a classic. Roscoe decided to try to win it in regulation on a two-point conversion. The try failed and Lancaster lost a heartbreaker.
Y

I was 7 when Union beat Lancaster in 90. What a game!

Reactions: king ward
Great falls vs Timmonsville. 1991. Gf scored with less than two minutes to go. Went for two and made it. 15-14. I think Gf was first team in the state to finish 15-0

Reactions: mickmick7
Let me tell you folks about two games in particular about the mighty Clinton Red Devils:

1 FCS player for Clinton vs:
1. 2009 Upper State Championship vs Daniel - Deandre Hopkins, DeShawn Williams
2. 2009 State Championship vs Myrtle Beach - Everett Golson

3 yards and a cloud of dust in the wishbone all season!

Great falls vs Timmonsville. 1991. Gf scored with less than two minutes to go. Went for two and made it. 15-14. I think Gf was first team in the state to finish 15-0
I remember that. That poor town of GF hasn’t changed in years. The Red Devils I think.

Reactions: mickmick7
The Glory Days in Clinton where I attended:
72 (Kevin Long hurdles defender at goaline-beat Pickens 8-7.)
73 (Harold Goggins picks up lateral to score and defense hold Pickens inside 5 yard line on 4 plays at end-beat Pickens 7-0.)
73 (Roscoe Watson blocks extra point at end of game-beat Saluda 14-13.)
74 (Missed FG at end of game0-lost to James Island 17-15.)

The Glory Days in Clinton where I attended:
72 (Kevin Long hurdles defender at goaline-beat Pickens 8-7.)
73 (Harold Goggins picks up lateral to score and defense hold Pickens inside 5 yard line on 4 plays at end-beat Pickens 7-0.)
73 (Roscoe Watson blocks extra point at end of game-beat Saluda 14-13.)
74 (Missed FG at end of game0-lost to James Island 17-15.)
My dad was on those teams 😉

Yes, still the Red Devils. Town has gone through hard times but progress is be made on white water rapids! A pretty big deal
Gone through some tough times for sure - but a lot springing up around there. Building a pretty big housing development soon that just got released. Red Devils have slipped a little bit but whipped Pendleton pretty good last Friday. PC also seems to be getting on some better footing after some mismanagement and things seem to be trending positively! Grew up there and love the place - can't make it back from Atlanta enough unfortunately.

Laurens beat both of them. Beat Walterboro 16-0 in ‘83 and Hartsville 34-0 in ‘84.

Antoine Nesbit carried the load, right? His team nickname at USC was “Walterboro.”

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
1981 Irmo over Summerville
1980 was the year. We beat Summerville at Irmo 23-0. Games were played at the higher seed back then. We had Rodney Williams, Chris Corley, and Percy Reeves. Our whole OL played in college, including Del Wilkes. We ended a 72 game win streak for The Wave. The biggest break we had was Perry Cuda graduating the year before. He killed us in 78’ and 79’! He went to Bama and played for Bear Bryant. Injuries killed his career.
I was in 6th grade and the guys and girls were all kissing….that’s a great memory!

Gone through some tough times for sure - but a lot springing up around there. Building a pretty big housing development soon that just got released. Red Devils have slipped a little bit but whipped Pendleton pretty good last Friday. PC also seems to be getting on some better footing after some mismanagement and things seem to be trending positively! Grew up there and love the place - can't make it back from Atlanta enough unfortunately.
I think Bandit was referring to Great Falls instead of Clinton. I see that Neanderthal is a Laurens fan. The two of y’all play nice, ok 😂

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Dorman vs Strafford in 99. By far the best state championship game ever. A preview of the Super bowl that season between Tennessee vs St Louis.

1980 was the year. We beat Summerville at Irmo 23-0. Games were played at the higher seed back then. We had Rodney Williams, Chris Corley, and Percy Reeves. Our whole OL played in college, including Del Wilkes. We ended a 72 game win streak for The Wave. The biggest break we had was Perry Cuda graduating the year before. He killed us in 78’ and 79’! He went to Bama and played for Bear Bryant. Injuries killed his career.
I was in 6th grade and the guys and girls were all kissing….that’s a great memory!
Ooops, I meant 1980, typo. I was on the team. Del Wilkes graduated the year before. Rodney Williams was on the team, but he was a freshman. Mark White was the starting QB. The Championship game was played at Summerville. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk.

Last edited:
Ooops, I meant 1980, typo. I was on the team. Del Wilkes graduated the year before. Rodney Williams was on the team, but he was a freshman. Mark White was the starting QB. The Championship game was played at Summerville. Sorry, not trying to be a jerk.
I was at Hawkins stadium that night. 1980, good sir. That was a great night. I bought a T-shirt with the score and the year.
David White sounds right though! I think he went to Furman? I’m class of ‘86… beware of the sting!😂

I was at Hawkins stadium that night. 1980, good sir. That was a great night. I bought a T-shirt with the score and the year.
David White sounds right though! I think he went to Furman? I’m class of ‘86… beware of the sting!😂
Damn, I'm getting old and mixing the memories. I believe you are right on the location being home.

Beware the Sting!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT