ADVERTISEMENT

C of C out recuited us in South Carolina

Hanahan Bill

Aug 15, 2001
They have 6 starters from this state and 3 starters from the Columbia area. Carl Wise from Lexington
hit 319 this year with 11 HR, Ryan Brown from Columbia hit 326 with 5 HR, and Nick Pappas hit 330
with 9 HR. other starters from the state Bradley Jones from Travelers Rest hit 315 with 10 HR,
Champ Roland from Taylors hit 290 with 2 HR and Erven Roper from Easley hit 302 with 3 HR. How did
we not recruit some of these players? seems we've been out recruited by Monte Lee. They must
have a great hitting coach, also a great pitching coach. They made the NCAA with their #1 pitcher
out for the year with TJ. They are a very good team with lots of depth.

those stats were against teams like us so they mean nothing

I wouldn't say they mean nothing. I think the pappas and wise kids could earn a spot here, but you are right, if they had to play an sec schedule those numbers would come down some. Lee has done well against the competition he has faced the last few yrs though

None of those guys played diamond devils or any other political or monetary connections so they didn't get a fair look.
I know I sound like a broken record but maybe these guys went to a schools where they knew they would have a spot come spring time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullsbaycock
Pappas had two brothers graduate from C of C, he is also a first baseman, so I doubt he wanted to sit two years behind Martin. Wise only had one other offer and that was from Charleston Southern, so its not like he was a hot prospect that every major school was after. Rowland was a JC player from Spartanburg Methodist and although he was good with the glove at SS he wasn't that strong with the bat. In 2014 his first at C of C he batted just .228 so he is much improved this year. As far as Roper at catcher, we had a commitment from Nick Ciuffo and whether we made an offer to him or not, I'm sure he wouldn't have sat around to see if Ciuffo went to the pros or not. Some of you seem to think recruiting for baseball is like football and basketball, it isn't. With 11.7 scholarships to spread among 27 players, both current and recruits juggling who gets what becomes a bit hard. Although there are 35 players on the roster only 27 can be on scholarship, so at times another school may have more of a percentage to offer a player to sway them their way, pretty much no baseball player has a full ride anywhere.

I would also say that facing the pitching against conference teams such as Elon, William and Mary, Deleware, Hofstra and James Madison is far different than facing SEC pitching each week. And as recall we did beat C of C 2 out of 3 this year while out scoring them 18-10.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockn'fyr
None of those guys played diamond devils or any other political or monetary connections so they didn't get a fair look.
I know I sound like a broken record but maybe these guys went to a Scholls where they knew they would have a spot come spring time.
Diamond Devils is a bunch of political BS! Last year's CABA Tournament in Charleston was a joke, it rained a lot of the days, as always during the Summer in Charleston and they never had guys there to work on the fields. Those clowns could learn something from East Cobb on how to run a tournament.

Reactions: Cybercock
Diamond Devils is a bunch of political BS! Last year's CABA Tournament in Charleston was a joke, it rained a lot of the days, as always during the Summer in Charleston and they never had guys there to work on the fields. Those clowns could learn something from East Cobb on how to run a tournament.

John Rhodes is all about the $$$. Maybe his original intent was noble but no longer. Too bad we keep going to that well for water.

KMart 84 a lot of what you say may be true, but when we beat them 2 of 3
early we were playing very well winning 17 of our first 20 games. after that
we only won like 15 and lost 22 the rest of the year. C of C coaches seem to
be able to get the best out of their players. They won their Fla regional last year
and went to a Super regional, so if I were you, I would not belittle them too
much. If we played them in the last part of the year, the out come would have
been much different I think. They have an outstanding program. Much better
than us the last 2 years. I think Lee and his coaching staff has done a great
job in the last 4 to 5 years. Way better than Holbrook and his staff.

KMart 84 a lot of what you say may be true, but when we beat them 2 of 3
early we were playing very well winning 17 of our first 20 games. after that
we only won like 15 and lost 22 the rest of the year. C of C coaches seem to
be able to get the best out of their players. They won their Fla regional last year
and went to a Super regional, so if I were you, I would not belittle them too
much. If we played them in the last part of the year, the out come would have
been much different I think. They have an outstanding program. Much better
than us the last 2 years. I think Lee and his coaching staff has done a great
job in the last 4 to 5 years. Way better than Holbrook and his staff.
I didn't say their program wasn't good. I was just pointing out why some of those players may not have been recruited or came to USC. C of C did a great job in winning their regional last year. However, if you look at their team last year they struggled to score against good pitching. So much so that they didn't score a run in two losses in their super regional, even not scoring several times with a man on third and either none or one out. They lost both games 1-0. Lee is a very good coach and I hope they win their regional this year and advance to the CWS.

Also Ryan Brown couldn't get in USC. His grades were real bad. He was a player the Gamecocks wanted, never struck out in high school, and had a very good glove. So don't say we didn't recruit him because we did.

Maybe it's the overwhelming poon and the beach. Schiaaattt.......Sounds good to me..

Also Ryan Brown couldn't get in USC. His grades were real bad. He was a player the Gamecocks wanted, never struck out in high school, and had a very good glove. So don't say we didn't recruit him because we did.
C'mon

In baseball you don't have to have the best players, you have to have the best team. CofC is a better team than we are, at least in the second half of the year.

Recruiting advantages for larger schools are less significant in baseball than other sports. They get exposure at those schools and have similar opportunities. SC and CU will always get top talent from in state, but that close 2nd tier has no reason not to look at C of C and Coastal. Hell, I wouldn't mind spending four years in Charleston myself....

Win or lose today, I think this will be Monte Lee's last game as CofC's head coach. He's just got too much interest from too many teams not to leave for a much bigger job. He was a finalist for Arizona States job last year and just missed that out. He'll be gone within a couple of weeks Im sure.

I didn't say their program wasn't good. I was just pointing out why some of those players may not have been recruited or came to USC. C of C did a great job in winning their regional last year. However, if you look at their team last year they struggled to score against good pitching. So much so that they didn't score a run in two losses in their super regional, even not scoring several times with a man on third and either none or one out. They lost both games 1-0. Lee is a very good coach and I hope they win their regional this year and advance to the CWS.
Every team struggles trying to hit good pitching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT