ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Confidential - Pres. by Herring Insurance - More on Prunty, Practice buzz

W

Wes Mitchell

fq7zv4elsu42u989zvma

** Karon Prunty's decision to re-enter the transfer portal brings closure to a situation that's been going on behind the scenes since the weekend.

Prunty leaves the South Carolina program for what would best be described as "personal reasons" and while it's probably not my place to go into much detail beyond that, I will just say that you never know what someone is going through behind closed doors.

This isn't a football-related matter and it's not a discipline-related situation either. It goes well beyond the field and as I said in the thread that was posted after Prunty's exit was first rumored, I think it's best that everyone just send the kid as many positive vibes and well-wishes as possible. It's important to remember that we may look at these guys as football players but they are humans first and foremost and their personal health is most important.

We first got word that Prunty had missed a couple of practices over the weekend and then, while he was still with the team, we did not see him during the open portion of Tuesday's workout. At the time, we were told that it was a day-to-day situation that could end with him sticking with the team or possibly going back home.

Most of his teammates didn't have a real feel for what was going on. He's sort of a quiet kid and he hadn't really been in Columbia long enough to start forming those teammate bonds.

It's important to note that South Carolina tried to provide him the resources needed for his situation, and my understanding is that some close to Prunty encouraged him to stay, but ultimately he felt it was best to leave the program and move back home. I believe the final decision was made yesterday.

To reiterate what I said at the top: this wasn't a football decision.

** With Cam Smith still out with a foot injury and Prunty out in those practices I referenced above, Marcellas Dial and Darius Rush have been working with the first-team group at cornerback.

From the moment Dial arrived on campus, he's been billed to me as being an excellent athlete. In the spring, he was still working through the nuances of the position and making his transition to this level, but the natural athleticism was apparent to his teammates and to others in the winter workouts and beyond. Granted, there are still steps to be taken to get to the point of upper-level SEC cornerback, but it appears the baseline talent that is needed is there.

After dealing with injuries and a multitude of position changes throughout his career, Rush is finally healthy and seems comfortable in his role at cornerback in this scheme. I watched his body language on Tuesday and he looks as confident as I've ever seen him.

Rush spent some time in the offseason getting extra DB training and has always had the size and speed combination to excel if he could find that comfort level at a position. He was already going to be one of my "sleepers to watch" this preseason - a guy I believed could surprise under the new staff - and now that opportunity is here for him.

The next two players in line at cornerback, at least in the portion of practice we were able to see, were Dominick Hill and Joey Hunter.

Hill started to come on a bit in the spring and has the tools if he can put it together. He ended up working with the first team in the spring but it seems Dial and Rush are ahead of him now. Hunter missed the spring with an injury, so I don't have a feel at all what proper expectations are for him at this point.

Going back to Cam Smith, he's obviously now the team's most experienced cornerback and was having a good offseason, so it's imperative to get him back full-go. There is talent in the secondary but there's a lot of inexperience as well. It's going to be important to get and stay healthy.

** As you know by now, JUCO DB Isaiah Norris has officially reported to South Carolina and has moved in.

Defensive coordinator Clayton White spoke in general (not about Norris or anyone in particular) prior to the start of camp about how difficult it is for a player who is arriving late to pick up the scheme.

With that said, I don't know how fair it is to put crazy expectations on Norris to make an immediate impact, but I do know the staff is excited to have him in and he provides another potential option at the position now and into the future. He was a big-time defensive playmaker in high school who saw his opportunities severely limited by his academic situation.

Norris is listed as a junior on the roster but actually should have three years of eligibility left.

** Right now, the nickel battle appears to be primarily between David Spaulding and Carlins Platel. Spaulding had the spring practice head start on Platel and so far has been able to hold off Platel it appears. I hear Spaulding has had a nice start to camp and that could be a nice under-the-radar land for the staff and Platel looks the part so far as well. Those two are definitely going to help the team in some way.

** I paid close attention to Brad Johnson at the WILL LB spot during the open portion of Tuesday's workout and the first thing that stands out now is that he physically looks like a true linebacker now, not a hand-in-the-dirt guy. He's slimmed down and looks quick. The coverage ability is going to be a question there until he proves it's not - simply because he doesn't have in-game experience doing it - but I watched him run out into the flat on a swing pass to MarShawn Lloyd and I thought he did a great job of turning his hips and getting out there in a hurry. The quickness was there on that particular play. Johnson and Sherrod Greene will get every opportunity to show they can hold down the starting two LB spots and really for them a huge part of that will be just to finally stay healthy. Debo Williams and Damani Staley are working with the twos with Mo Kaba and Rosendo Louis with the threes in the open portion of Tuesday's practice.

** Defensive line depth chart so far has been the veterans up first JJ Enagbare, Zacch Pickens, Jabari Ellis, Aaron Sterling followed by Jordan Strachan, Tonka Hemingway, Rick Sandidge, Jordan Burch.

** By now you shouldn't be surprised to hear Juju McDowell's name come up as a standout early in camp. McDowell is a good bit shorter than I expected (and I can say that because I'm team short guy myself) but I've heard from multiple sources public and private that he's really been impressive with his quickness and ability to make people miss so far.

One thing Carolina liked about him out of high school was just how strong he was for a guy that size as well.

I would think the best way for McDowell to potentially make an impact this season would be potentially at kickoff return but I've actually heard with Kevin Harris out he's been getting quite a few chances with the offense as well.

** Those I talk to continue to brag on the tight end group and believe it will be a strength of this offense. If I had to name a guy who isn't yet a household name but may be after the season, I think Jaheim Bell would be my pick.

** If the season started today, I think you'd see Jalen Brooks, Dakereon Joyner and Josh Vann as the first three out there at receiver. I know many of you will be in show-me mode on Vann, but he really has been off to a nice start in camp and has made plays, something we saw a ton of from him in high school. He doesn't need to be Deebo Samuel or Shi Smith to help this team - if he can just provide another consistent threat, which he is capable of in my opinion, then that would go a long way.

------------
Today’s Carolina Confidential is brought to you by Herring Insurance Services. Call, email, or PM Gamecock Central member Brent Herring today to discuss your home and auto insurance needs.

Located in Lexington but serving all of the Carolinas
803-356-0763
Brent@BrentHerring.com
@BHerring06

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News