ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson WBB - Wow

Crutcher1

Mar 17, 2010
Just saw where Clemson Women's basketball has free admission for the rest of the year. Still playing at least two ranked teams at home (Georgia Tech and Louisville). Might have to show up for a freebie.
And I thought Clemson men were having attendance problems...

Just saw where Clemson Women's basketball has free admission for the rest of the year. Still playing at least two ranked teams at home (Georgia Tech and Louisville). Might have to show up for a freebie.
And I thought Clemson men were having attendance problems...
Literally no one in Clemson cares about basketball. Its an indictment of Frank Martin that their mens recruiting has probably been better than ours over the last few years. Totally unacceptable.

They pay their WBB coach a base salary of $130k and their football coach $8.3 million.
We pay our WBB coach $3 million and our football coach $2.75 million.
They pay more for a football head coach than we pay for our entire football staff.

Any questions why they win football championships and we don't?

They pay their WBB coach a base salary of $130k and their football coach $8.3 million.
They pay more for a football head coach than we pay for our entire football staff.

I understand the point you are trying to make and don't completely disagree. But to make a fair comparison you would have to look at how much Dabo made in his second year at CU. His salary is where it is now because Clempson took a huge gamble on a relatively inexperienced coach paying him a pretty low salary and then struck gold with success and two titles thus driving his salary to where it is now. SC looks to be following a similar playbook. Let's hope the payoff is similar.

Before Dawn that's where we were as a women's program too.
No we weren’t. We had been to an elite 8 seven years prior to DS’s arrival and five winning seasons in seven seasons prior to Dawn. Don’t get me wrong we were not great but we had our moments.

Tater women are 55-215 .203 in the ACC over the last 18 years. With only 1 winning season in those 18 years. In fact before Amanda Butler went 9-7 in her first year, their BEST conference record over the prior 14 years was 5-13. We were never THAT bad

Last edited:
I understand the point you are trying to make and don't completely disagree. But to make a fair comparison you would have to look at how much Dabo made in his second year at CU. His salary is where it is now because Clempson took a huge gamble on a relatively inexperienced coach paying him a pretty low salary and then struck gold with success and two titles thus driving his salary to where it is now. SC looks to be following a similar playbook. Let's hope the payoff is similar.

It's not about making a fair comparison. It's about how you invest your money. Spending $3 million on a women's basketball coach is like MCDonald's paying the most amazing cashier in the world $150 a hour. A colossal waste of money.

It's not about making a fair comparison. It's about how you invest your money. Spending $3 million on a women's basketball coach is like MCDonald's paying the most amazing cashier in the world $150 a hour. A colossal waste of money.
Did you just compare Dawn Staley to a cashier at McDonalds lol? That's more of an irrelevant comparison than your original comparing Beamer's 1st year salary to Dabo's 13th year salary.

You are penny wise and pound foolish in that assessment. Is DS overpaid as WBB coach, maybe in a narrow sense. Is she worth over 3M a year to USC? She’s probably underpaid.

She is the face of WBB. Did you know female applications to USC went up 25% within a year after winning the national title. 5M bonus from under armor for winning a national championship. Merchandise sales at record highs. We are on national television twice a week 4 months a year. USC WBB is not a national brand but an international brand.
Expand your vision

One of the worst comparisons I’ve ever seen.

Dawn Staley is worth every penny. She has expanded the fan base and created not just a winning program but a championship program. Proof that winning will fill the stands. The same can happen in men’s basketball with the right coach

I hate to point out the obvious, but apparently some of you posters don't have foresight. If it were easy, our previous WBB coaches would have brought exposure to our WBB program. You see, Where I'm from, you pay for results. You have to earn respect, the past 13 years the amount of exposure and revenue that Dawn Staley has brought out University demands the type of salary she receives. Constant top 5 finishes, Multiple Final Fours, National championship, Multiple SEC regular season and multiple SEC tournament championships, National Exposure, Olympic champion, Global Exposure, Merchandise Sells and Endorsements. You pay for results. Nothing was given to her, SHE EARNED IT. If, Shane produces at least half of what Dawn has accomplished at USC, then his salary will reflect the respect due to him. Until then, kindly refrain from insulting one the University's greatest Ambassadors.

One of the worst comparisons I’ve ever seen.

Dawn Staley is worth every penny. She has expanded the fan base and created not just a winning program but a championship program. Proof that winning will fill the stands. The same can happen in men’s basketball with the right coach

No, not worth every penny. Complete waste of cash and a total drain on the athletic department. Idiotic.

net-profit-loss-womens-sports_lg.jpeg

womens-basketball-revenue-expenses_lg.jpeg

Reactions: BlueCord86
Yea well, We are not supporting it very well. Maybe buying tix but not showing up. Maybe we should give Freebie Gen Adm Tix for the rest of the Year? It would be interesting Just to see the place packed! And the Student Attendance SUX, SUX, SUX. Dawn Should Not have to Ask Us to come to games and should not have to ask us to wear a certain color. Where is the Excitement for an International Brand?
WE ARE NOT THE FAN BASE WE USE TO BE, and I for One, would like to see Us get back to those days!

I hate to point out the obvious, but apparently some of you posters don't have foresight. If it were easy, our previous WBB coaches would have brought exposure to our WBB program. You see, Where I'm from, you pay for results. You have to earn respect, the past 13 years the amount of exposure and revenue that Dawn Staley has brought out University demands the type of salary she receives. Constant top 5 finishes, Multiple Final Fours, National championship, Multiple SEC regular season and multiple SEC tournament championships, National Exposure, Olympic champion, Global Exposure, Merchandise Sells and Endorsements. You pay for results. Nothing was given to her, SHE EARNED IT. If, Shane produces at least half of what Dawn has accomplished at USC, then his salary will reflect the respect due to him. Until then, kindly refrain from insulting one the University's greatest Ambassadors.

And the results we pay for is $-4,626,215. And that's because almost nobody cares about everything you listed above.

How many Clemson fans are upset they haven't won a women's basketball championship?

Did you just compare Dawn Staley to a cashier at McDonalds lol? That's more of an irrelevant comparison than your original comparing Beamer's 1st year salary to Dabo's 13th year salary.

I'm not comparing Beamer's salary to anything. They are willing to spend $8.3 million for a top coach in the most important sport in college athletics. We spend one third of that and instead, spend $3 million on a coach for a sport that loses millions and most don't care about.

That's the facts.

No, not worth every penny. Complete waste of cash and a total drain on the athletic department. Idiotic.

net-profit-loss-womens-sports_lg.jpeg

womens-basketball-revenue-expenses_lg.jpeg
Couple of questions.
Can you link source?
Does this include any or all media income, NCAA tourney shares, merchandise income, shoe contract money, and value of free excellent publicity/reputational value to the university as a whole?

Couple of questions.
Can you link source?
Does this include any or all media income, merchandise income, shoe contract money, and value of free excellent publicity/reputational value to the university as a whole?

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-south-carolina-columbia/student-life/sports/

And the publicity/reputational value is BS. Nobody cares other than a bunch of wokesters. The money is in football and the reputation of being a top football program is worth a zillion times anything she or women's basketball as whole brings to the table.

That's just how it works in the real world.

The bottom line:

More money to football offer the chance of huge gains.
More money to women's basketball ONLY offers bigger and bigger losses.

And it's not just the money lost. It's also opportunity cost. When you waste money in one investment, you not only lose that money, but you also lose the money could would have made by investing it in the correct place.

Just ridiculous. I understand that all sports aren't going to make money, but where we are with women's basketball is absurd.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-south-carolina-columbia/student-life/sports/

And the publicity/reputational value is BS. Nobody cares other than a bunch of wokesters. The money is in football and the reputation of being a top football program is worth a zillion times anything she or women's basketball as whole brings to the table.
Thank you for providing the link and the insult to a courteous question.

This is an outside source that seems to have lumped a lot of things together. For example it has the men’s soccer program losing money, when believe it or not they made money. This anomaly occurs because the men have a tv contract with conference USA which is dedicated to the soccer team solely. UK men’s soccer also turned a profit, who knew?

WBB is listed as only bringing in 2M. Ticket sales bring in app 1M alone. I find it impossible to believe that tv, merchandise and shoe contracts only bring in 1M to the program. Again I think the source simply lumps a lot of things together.

As to reputational value I find it amusing that you think football is the only sport that helps a university. I get the“wokesters” don’t count. However The sports world is not simply old white guys, of which I am one.

Just saw where Clemson Women's basketball has free admission for the rest of the year.
I think they've done this all season.
My guess is that the cost of printing, distributing and collecting tickets was more than the revenue they were collecting. So why not just unlock the doors and let anyone who wants to watch come in? (and hope they buy some concessions)

If all you care about is football, then that makes sense. I prefer a more well-rounded athletic program.

I'm not comparing Beamer's salary to anything. They are willing to spend $8.3 million for a top coach in the most important sport in college athletics. We spend one third of that and instead, spend $3 million on a coach for a sport that loses millions and most don't care about.

That's the facts.
The most important sport is subjective.

Reactions: B.Springs Cock
Thank you for providing the link and the insult to a courteous question.

This is an outside source that seems to have lumped a lot of things together. For example it has the men’s soccer program losing money, when believe it or not they made money. This anomaly occurs because the men have a tv contract with conference USA which is dedicated to the soccer team solely. UK men’s soccer also turned a profit, who knew?

WBB is listed as only bringing in 2M. Ticket sales bring in app 1M alone. I find it impossible to believe that tv, merchandise and shoe contracts only bring in 1M to the program. Again I think the source simply lumps a lot of things together.

As to reputational value I find it amusing that you think football is the only sport that helps a university. I get the“wokesters” don’t count. However The sports world is not simply old white guys, of which I am one.

I apologize if it came across as an insult. It wasn't intended that way. If you have different numbers, I would be glad to look at them and change my opinion based on more accurate facts.

As for the sports world, nobody thinks it's just old white guys. In fact, it's more diverse than ever, and football is still king, and it's not even close.

Reactions: winloseortie
I apologize if it came across as an insult. It wasn't intended that way. If you have different numbers, I would be glad to look at them and change my opinion based on more accurate facts.

As for the sports world, nobody thinks it's just old white guys. In fact, it's more diverse than ever, and football is still king, and it's not even close.
All I’m saying is outside sources get the big number right but don’t parcel out because it is an aggregate site for over 300 schools.
I know the soccer fact only because, I used to occasionally be around Berson. He would laugh and drop that bomb.
I also think you drastically under value Dawn

You are penny wise and pound foolish in that assessment. Is DS overpaid as WBB coach, maybe in a narrow sense. Is she worth over 3M a year to USC? She’s probably underpaid.

She is the face of WBB. Did you know female applications to USC went up 25% within a year after winning the national title. 5M bonus from under armor for winning a national championship. Merchandise sales at record highs. We are on national television twice a week 4 months a year. USC WBB is not a national brand but an international brand.
Expand your vision
You have overstated all of that.

Expand your vision

We got $5 million from Under Armour for winning a women's basketball national championship?

I find that really hard to believe, but I could be wrong.

We got $5 million from Under Armour for winning a women's basketball national championship?

I find that really hard to believe, but I could be wrong.
Yep, when both teams went to the final four, it was the first time for UA. They gave the athletic Dept. 10M to be split between the 2 programs. UA flogged the hell out of it.

Stupid comparison since that's not what they paid him starting out or what we paid Staley starting out. Both have been compensated related to their success at Clemson and Carolina. In both cases, the success came before the huge salaries.

No we weren’t. We had been to an elite 8 seven years prior to DS’s arrival and five winning seasons in seven seasons prior to Dawn. Don’t get me wrong we were not great but we had our moments.

Tater women are 55-215 .203 in the ACC over the last 18 years. With only 1 winning season in those 18 years. In fact before Amanda Butler went 9-7 in her first year, their BEST conference record over the prior 14 years was 5-13. We were never THAT bad

I was talking about the attendance issues.

Reactions: winloseortie
Stupid comparison since that's not what they paid him starting out or what we paid Staley starting out. Both have been compensated related to their success at Clemson and Carolina. In both cases, the success came before the huge salaries.

Not stupid at all. You are missing the point. Has nothing to do with what he started out at and who earn what.

It's purely about what THEY spend today on football vs what WE spend today on football. Doesn't matter how they got there.

Reactions: Lakecock1

That's the facts.
LOL you're absolutely comparing what we pay Beamer now, to what Clemson pays Dabo now. Those are the two figures you used LOL. That is comparing a 1st year HBC to a wildly successful, 13th year, multiple championship-winning HBC. If in 13 years Beamer is still with us and has accomplished what Dabo has accomplished, I expect Beamer's salary to be very similar to Dabo's.

The only way for this irrelevant comparison to work, is if you are trying to make the point that we should have went out and spent $8M+ on a HBC in year 1.

Reactions: Silverspur02
Not stupid at all. You are missing the point. Has nothing to do with what he started out at and who earn what.

It's purely about what THEY spend today on football vs what WE spend today on football. Doesn't matter how they got there.

This is an interesting approach to logic.

LOL you're absolutely comparing what we pay Beamer now, to what Clemson pays Dabo now. Those are the two figures you used LOL. That is comparing a 1st year HBC to a wildly successful, 13th year, multiple championship-winning HBC. If in 13 years Beamer is still with us and has accomplished what Dabo has accomplished, I expect Beamer's salary to be very similar to Dabo's.

The only way for this irrelevant comparison to work, is if you are trying to make the point that we should have went out and spent $8M+ on a HBC in year 1.

That is exactly the point. We are willing to spend top dollar on a women's basketball coach to lose $4.5 million a year. We weren't willing to do that for football, the most profitable and prestigious college sport. They were, and now they have an elite program.

So, laugh at their women's basketball program all you want. They put their money in the far better investment.

Sickening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT