ADVERTISEMENT

"Coach Muschamp inherited a mess"

On the first, Spurrier himself has stated that Tanner didn't try to convince him to stay until the year he quit and that was to finish out the season. Jerri, on the other hand, did convince him to stay.

On the second point, Tanner never turned down Riley, never even had an opportunity to officially make an offer. Stoops had his discussion with Riley about the OU job immediately upon Riley's return from our interview. Riley took his name out of consideration after his meeting with Stoops. Those are the facts from a person involved in the process....and the timeline of the reports completely coincides with that scenario.

1. It was stated on numerous message boards by insiders that Spurrier wanted to retire but Ray was in the middle of a big fund raising push and needed him to stay. Not saying that is the gospel but behind the scenes info is often revealed in those places.

2. Lincoln Riley interviewed on Thursday 12/3, Champ the next day on the 4th. Numerous articles stated that Will was the odds on favorite because he was older and had been a head coach where as Lincoln had not, before Lincoln interviewed. That info is coming from insiders. I can’t find any article that says Lincoln pulled his name. There was an article on the 4th (the day Will interviewed) stating that the deal was all but done with Will. Post and courier announced on the 5th that Will was the new coach.

I don’t think he had any interest in Lincoln and i don’t think he pursued him after the interview. Stoops did’t leave until the following year and there was not any indication that he was going to. It would have to have been a huge step of faith for Lincoln to stay there and wait and believe Stoops was going to actually quit any time soon.

Had Ray wanted to pursue him heavily i think he would have been open to listening and taking the process further. But Ray was under the gun because he waited on Herman for two months. He wanted some one in place quickly. Other coaches were leaving the market at a fast pace and he was taking heat given he had a two month head start.

I don’t think Ray was intrested in someone who had no experience as a Head Coach.

1. It was stated on numerous message boards by insiders that Spurrier wanted to retire but Ray was in the middle of a big fund raising push and needed him to stay. Not saying that is the gospel but behind the scenes info is often revealed in those places.

2. Lincoln Riley interviewed on Thursday 12/3, Champ the next day on the 4th. Numerous articles stated that Will was the odds on favorite because he was older and had been a head coach where as Lincoln had not, before Lincoln interviewed. That info is coming from insiders. I can’t find any article that says Lincoln pulled his name. There was an article on the 4th (the day Will interviewed) stating that the deal was all but done with Will. Post and courier announced on the 5th that Will was the new coach.

I don’t think he had any interest in Lincoln and i don’t think he pursued him after the interview. Stoops did’t leave until the following year and there was not any indication that he was going to. It would have to have been a huge step of faith for Lincoln to stay there and wait and believe Stoops was going to actually quit any time soon.

Had Ray wanted to pursue him heavily i think he would have been open to listening and taking the process further. But Ray was under the gun because he waited on Herman for two months. He wanted some one in place quickly. Other coaches were leaving the market at a fast pace and he was taking heat given he had a two month head start.

I don’t think Ray was intrested in someone who had no experience as a Head Coach.
Believe what you wish.

i mean cmon guys! when was the last time we scored over 70 points against anyone, hell sometimes we can’t even do that in basketball. let’s enjoy the rest of the weekend! we got all week to worry about bama.

I am willing to admit that i may be wrong.

But Let me ask you this. Do you feel like Ray has made the right moves?
With respect to what?

He held on to Staley when her alma mater wanted her. So on that...absolutely. Generally, women's sports are doing very well.

With respect to fundraising and getting projects completed? Not sure who could have done better.

Academic ranking of athletes is better than ever before.

Soccer and Golf coaches? Not really, but my knowledge and information of those two sports at USC is limited.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Tanner as a fundraiser. That is a different question. As I would define it, an Athletic Director is a job whose main job is supervising the athletic department. Tanner could be given a role as chief fundraiser for the Athletic Department and even get the same pay! But let someone else do the role as AD so that this part gets fixed.

We are thin every year now that Spurrier's players are gone. But with the outstanding recruiting we have been doing and so many young players, we are very close to the level of making the CFP each year. I can't wait until next year/2 years from now. We will be National Champs.
Whip the Bucs.
I don't think were thin this year except maybe LB. As far as playing for A Championship, if Spurrier couldn't win a SEC championship here it's never gonna happen.

I don't think were thin this year except maybe LB. As far as playing for A Championship, if Spurrier couldn't win a SEC championship here it's never gonna happen.

There is no way an Insurance salesman turned wide receivers coach who never had any type of coordination experience on any D1 school turn an average ACC football into a national powerhouse. Point being never say never and we both agree to say GO COCKS

USCALUMNI

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
There is no way an Insurance salesman turned wide receivers coach who never had any type of coordination experience on any D1 school turn an average ACC football into a national powerhouse. Point being never say never and we both agree to say GO COCKS

USCALUMNI
They've won a Championship before and they play in a Conference they can win.

To use the excuse that Muschamp inherited a mess is a joke! I agree the talent level had dropped! But he has bragged all preseason that “we are deeper and more talented than we have been”. Well...look at what Mack Brown inherited at UNC but Muschamp was schooled by a coach that inherited a 2 - 10 team...no excuse!! Absolutely inexcusable!!! Muschamp left Fla. in a mess and you don’t even need to recruit to have talent down there!! Anybody making excuses or thinking that Muschamp is the right coach...I’m sorry but you are totally lost and in the fog!!!

After three solid (11-2) seasons and five in a row over tatertech...

Aggie Station in WB chosen as the first game on the new SEC network

The inspirational and hyped SECN 'Believer' Spurrier documentary

The giant banner with the SOS image hanging from the building

What could possibly go wrong?

Go Cocks!

The night our Defense went missing

Im thinking
The night our Defense went missing
I literally sat there cussing. I couldn't believe we played the entire night giving up 15 yard cushions. I lost a lit of respect for Spurrier that night. It just blew my mind that he didnt tell Lorenzo to tighten up.

Appreciate the complexity of thought. He did walk into a steaming hot mess in the wake of Spurrier's antipathy in the final years of his tenure.

To your point though, Muschamp completely owns it in year 4. Is it realistic to expect wins over Bama, Georgia and Clemson in year 4? I'd argue not. Not when they are the top three teams in the country.

But should he beat the hell out of an immensely less talented UNC team? Hell yes. That game, coming on the heels of an embarrassing 24-0 shutout at the hands of another middling ACC team (UVa), and my confidence in Muschamp is severely shaken.

I have been a stout Muschamp defender until now. It is becoming increasingly more obvious that he is a great D coordinator, and a pretty damn good recruiter, but he just doesn't seam to be HC material.

And as much as I love Tanner and what he did for our University, he does not seem to be AD material. The coaches love and respect him, because he is one of them. But he is not (never has been) qualified to run an SEC level athletic department.

Love for our University and desire to be an AD are not qualifying attributes to actually become AD.
Am not sure either about Muschamp as a head coach. I think he is a very hard working coach. I think he is a good recruiter, not necessarily great. About being a good defensive coordinator, think that is under review as well. Think at one point he was a good D coordinator. But from what we have experienced last year and this year against UNC...not so sure that's still true. Even today, the team was fundamentally flawed on many plays. It just didn't matter against a team where our athleticism had them beat from the get go.

For example, one of our starting DB's got beat off the line of scrimmage because he doesn't know how to play man press...but the pass was overthrown. Linebackers often play too deep off the line of scrimmage giving a good offensive line with any kind of push an advantage. Our DB's still wait too late to turn and find the ball. These are all coaching issues. Unless we play differently next week from a fundamental standpoint, it will be a long day. I've always been one who believes in giving people chances, been slow to criticize, but we are a very flawed football team fundamentally on defense right now.

Ryan Hellinski looks like he has skills. Even though it was against Charleston Southern, he appears to be a poised and confident leader, has a quick release, and made most of the different throws accurately that are required for the position. Think he gives us hope on offense. But next week will be the real test. It will be interesting to see what the game plan will be to attack the Crimson Tide on both sides of the ball.

But to quote legendary Olympic hockey coach Herb Brooks, "Great moments are born from great opportunity." We will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: GandBinNC
Am not sure either about Muschamp as a head coach. I think he is a very hard working coach. I think he is a good recruiter, not necessarily great. About being a good defensive coordinator, think that is under review as well. Think at one point he was a good D coordinator. But from what we have experienced last year and this year against UNC...not so sure that's still true. Even today, the team was fundamentally flawed on many plays. It just didn't matter against a team where our athleticism had them beat from the get go.

For example, one of our starting DB's got beat off the line of scrimmage because he doesn't know how to play man press...but the pass was overthrown. Linebackers often play too deep off the line of scrimmage giving a good offensive line with any kind of push an advantage. Our DB's still wait too late to turn and find the ball. These are all coaching issues. Unless we play differently next week from a fundamental standpoint, it will be a long day. I've always been one who believes in giving people chances, been slow to criticize, but we are a very flawed football team fundamentally on defense right now.

Ryan Hellinski looks like he has skills. Even though it was against Charleston Southern, he appears to be a poised and confident leader, has a quick release, and made most of the different throws accurately that are required for the position. Think he gives us hope on offense. But next week will be the real test. It will be interesting to see what the game plan will be to attack the Crimson Tide on both sides of the ball.

But to quote legendary Olympic hockey coach Herb Brooks, "Great moments are born from great opportunity." We will see.

Great post. Agree with your assessments. You hit the nail on the head about Hilinski... he gives us hope.

We didn’t get Florida Spurrier where winning was the primary goal. We got Spurrier whose primary goal was getting his kids into coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT