ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Selection Order

HammerDown IV

Apr 17, 2007
The current order of selection for universities needing a coach is 1) SoCal 2) South Carolina 3) Maryland. I think SoCal goes with an established West Coast/Mid West guy along the lines of Patterson (TCU) or Whittingham (Utah). I'm sure the up and coming coaches may get interviews, but I think SoCal brings in someone with strong character and is an established coach.

With that being said, I think we have or may have several options. Among the up and coming coaches, I think Fuentes (Memphis), Matt Campbell (Toledo), and of course Herman (Houston) would be worth calling to gauge their interest. Also, if Texas decides to move on from Charlie Strong (which I think would be stupid), perhaps we could get him here. I'm not sold on Kirby Smart. I'd almost rather have Muschamp and hope he learned from his Florida debacle. But with those guys at least the defense should be good. It would be funny or ironic if we brought Chad Morris in and were able to take it to the Tigers. Although, I am skeptical of the fast paced offenses consistent success against good teams.

Maryland gets the leftovers.

Agree as of right now, but the following jobs are likely to be available at the end of the season. (in no particular order)
1.UCF
2. Virginia
3. Virginia Tech
4. Miami
5.Rutgers
6. purdue
If these jobs are available how does this reality change the dynamic of USC's coaching search and does it impact the list of potential hires.

Reactions: HammerDown IV
I'm not so sure that Southern Cal job is going to be so easy to fill. A number of people passed the last (two) times it was up. And way back when Carroll first took the job not to many people were that interested in it.

A lot of pressure there.

And there are some other jobs like that around the country that fans think are plum jobs that don't draw a ton of interest (like Tennessee).

I know some people may take it as heretical, but I personally would favor the Maryland job over Southern Cal if I were someone pursued for a head job. The players are there. And you will get a good three or four years to build something before people call for your head for not winning the Rose Bowl.

The current order of selection for universities needing a coach is 1) SoCal 2) South Carolina 3) Maryland. I think SoCal goes with an established West Coast/Mid West guy along the lines of Patterson (TCU) or Whittingham (Utah). I'm sure the up and coming coaches may get interviews, but I think SoCal brings in someone with strong character and is an established coach.

With that being said, I think we have or may have several options. Among the up and coming coaches, I think Fuentes (Memphis), Matt Campbell (Toledo), and of course Herman (Houston) would be worth calling to gauge their interest. Also, if Texas decides to move on from Charlie Strong (which I think would be stupid), perhaps we could get him here. I'm not sold on Kirby Smart. I'd almost rather have Muschamp and hope he learned from his Florida debacle. But with those guys at least the defense should be good. It would be funny or ironic if we brought Chad Morris in and were able to take it to the Tigers. Although, I am skeptical of the fast paced offenses consistent success against good teams.

Maryland gets the leftovers.
I prefer not to go after "fired" coaches if at all possible. I think, at this point, where Spurrier brought us we'd be a very attractive job!

Agree as of right now, but the following jobs are likely to be available at the end of the season. (in no particular order)
1.UCF
2. Virginia
3. Virginia Tech
4. Miami
5.Rutgers
6. purdue
If these jobs are available how does this reality change the dynamic of USC's coaching search and does it impact the list of potential hires.
We should be a WHOLE lot more appealing than most of these imo!

1.UCF
2. Virginia
3. Virginia Tech
4. Miami
5.Rutgers
6. purdue
The answer is "not one bit." Not one of those schools is going to get the coach we want unless he just _wants_ to coach at those schools (alum of the school, wife's family lives there, etc.).

Actually, I think Gary Patterson and Kyle Whittingham should be on _our_ list. I don't know if Patterson has any interest in leaving TCU, but if I'm Tanner, I'm going to make the call and find out. We are a freaking SEC school with a tremendous fan base who wants to win championships. Gone are the days of assuming "Oh, coach X wouldn't be interested in coming to little ole' Carolina. We'd better focus our attention on a guy who's never made it to the big time." We're not going to hire away Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh. But the days are over when we can't compete with TCU or freaking Utah for a head coach.

Don't forget about the domino effect of coaches in the big 5 conference taking other jobs. ie..Patterson (TCU) taking job at Southern Cal which would leave an opening there and so on...So there will be a more openings to contend with.

Last edited:
1984 I like your attitude and agree with you 100%+. Don't assume any coach is out of reach at this point. While I feel strongly that Mark Hudspeth would be a home run hire others would be great also. Tanner and a search committee should compile a list of viable candidates, rank them as to who they feel are the best options, put a compensation package together and then start calling. Make the guy say no don't just assume he will say no. Best wishes to Gamecock Nation with the search.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT