ADVERTISEMENT

comment yesterday from a tater to me.....

straitcock

Jan 22, 2001
Said we had a nice 5 year run while dabo was building the program, but we won't see another win against them for quite a while. I didn't comment back.....

Wow! Way to defend our team... Why not tell him they got one win out of last 6, AND they will not be beating us at the Brice this year! We have playmakers in P cooper, Deebo, D Williams as well as Guys like J Adam and Crosby TE. B Wilds still a SOLID back and come fall our O line should b healthy and ready! I think hoke will be an upgrade! Add M Lewis and D sawyer at DE with Blackshear arriving. BAW at linebacker with S Moore and Walton. Secondary will b much improved!

DANG man learn our team and DEFEND them!

Originally posted by straitcock:
Said we had a nice 5 year run while dabo was building the program, but we won't see another win against them for quite a while. I didn't comment back…..
Laugh………

Their defense is going to be horrible this year. I just saw highlights of their spring game. There were a couple of plays where they ran a simple draw play and the RB ran 50+ yards untouched. It reminded me of our D from last year. Last year they relied on their D to win games. This year they probably have to rely on their O. However, they have question marks on the OL.

Should have let him know that they lost 8 starters and 3 backups on defense and 3 offensive linemen and they have a quarterback who can get hurt walking to class

Originally posted by straitcock:
Said we had a nice 5 year run while dabo was building the program, but we won't see another win against them for quite a while. I didn't comment back.....
We will kick you.

Originally posted by preebs2001:

Their defense is going to be horrible this year. I just saw highlights of their spring game. There were a couple of plays where they ran a simple draw play and the RB ran 50+ yards untouched. It reminded me of our D from last year. Last year they relied on their D to win games. This year they probably have to rely on their O. However, they have question marks on the OL.
Now you know that's only because they have super star RB's and OL.

Originally posted by GoLongT:
Should have let him know that they lost 8 starters and 3 backups on defense and 3 offensive linemen and they have a quarterback who can get hurt walking to class
Spot on!

they did recruit some juco guys that should help. There is a saying that if you argue with an idiot long enough, then there will be 2 idiots arguing.

Honestly, no one even needs to play their 2015 schedule now...

Heisman winner Deshaun Whatson? announced yesterday that KKKlempson will win national championship this year.

I was at the spring game and there was a really nice size crowd.
I agree we will take a step back next year on defense but how much is to be detemined.
With split teams its really hard to know what we have.
Dabo has made it a point to play lots of players in meaningful snaps so that when their time comes thwey will have had some experience.
We appear to be really strong on the one deep DL/LB but we dont have the proven depth we had last year.
Secondary should be a real strength for the defense.

Not sure about what the future series outcomes will be but I like the direction that we are headed at this point.

I have only posted o here a few times and try to be real nondelusional on my take of things.

I'm not sure what our record will be. There are so many variables that can swing in either direction.

I do agree with PC on one thing. Just dont see DW staying healthy all season. I hope I'm proven incorrect but as it stands now I just dont see it happening.

I think the CM deal is a little overrated.
I appreciate what he did for Clemson and wish him well but I always questioned his ability to coach QB's. Now we have a QB coach that has proven himself while playing as well as coaching. Doesnt hurt that his main job his QB coach unlike CM's.

JMO

Originally posted by megatiger_dtw@yahoo.com:

I agree we will take a step back next year on defense but how much is to be detemined.
Dabo has made it a point to play lots of players in meaningful snaps so that when their time comes thwey will have had some experience.
We appear to be really strong on the one deep DL/LB but we dont have the proven depth we had last year.

Not sure about what the future series outcomes will be but I like the direction that we are headed at this point.
I agree we will take a step back. Good thing was last season we had two and three deep at some positions so that helps us this season when it comes to a starting 11. If I counted right we had 13 guys who are coming back that logged 100 or more snaps last season. I think that translates into a solid starting group. If we can have a few guys step up and provide depth I think we maintain a defense in the 20-30 range. I see no way we can break into the top 20 without some guys surprising us in a major way.

Also a spring game is not a good way to judge what you have or dont have. I watched the USC spring game and you guys didnt look impressive at all but in no way does that mean I am ready make a prediction on our match up next season. I think I will wait until some games are played to say what both teams have or dont have.
This post was edited on 4/12 1:39 PM by SHillTIger

Good posts from the Clemson fans.. Defense will definitely take a step back. Definitely still have some playmakers on offense though

Originally posted by jon#:
Good posts from the Clemson fans.. Defense will definitely take a step back. Definitely still have some playmakers on offense though
After finishing at the top, and losing 7 or 8 sr starters, and 3 or so key sr backups, a blind autistic person could tell that their D was going to take two or three steps back. Nothing magical about that.Taters proclaim that last season all their backups, and the backups to the backups, all got plenty of PT last season and there will only be a slight drop off. The problem is all these backups and their backups DON'T HAVE THE SAME LEVEL OF talent and athletic ability that those sr starters had last year. I think they drop back further than #30 in total D next season.

Last season, after losing so many good D players, we Gamecocks NEVER envisioned our D would drop to about #95 or thereabouts. The taters saving grace is that in the acc it doesn't take much of a D to make them have good stat's. We will see soon enough in about 5 months who is right, and who is wrong.

Thats why I have said its to be determined how much.

Just feel that the approach of playing back-ups in MEANING games and situations can lessen the pain. I wouldnt go as far to predict a top 30 defense though.

As far as the weak ACC thats where we are.

I always here SC fans saying that if they were still in the ACC they would have won it the last few years.
What most SC fail to understand is you would not have gotten the Clowney's and high end players without the SEC stamp. Some of SC recruits are there simply because they want to play in the SEC.
Your team would have had an entirely different look if you had been in the ACC or even independent

I think a lot of SC problems last year on D were due to coaching and leadership.

Thats why I have said its to be determined how much.

Just feel that the approach of playing back-ups in MEANING games and situations can lessen the pain. I wouldnt go as far to predict a top 30 defense though.

As far as the weak ACC thats where we are.

I always here SC fans saying that if they were still in the ACC they would have won it the last few years.
What most SC fail to understand is you would not have gotten the Clowney's and high end players without the SEC stamp. Some of SC recruits are there simply because they want to play in the SEC.
Your team would have had an entirely different look if you had been in the ACC or even independent

I think a lot of SC problems last year on D were due to coaching and leadership.
So, if we were still in the acc, we couldn't get any 5 stars (or highly rated players) in, yet clemzon does it regularly??? Ok, now I've heard it all. This one is FOS.

Not saying that at all.

Just saying you would not get the kids that simply want to play for an SEC school.
Make no bones about it. Your coaches sell the SEC to recruits just like any othe SEC school and it does hold weight with a lot of them.

Having said that we were not getting 5 star players until Dabo came on board.

He come across as a little "car saleman" like but apparently it resonates with players and parents.

What was that fecal matter a few years ago, "we too deep", or something like that CU fans kept saying? Truth is neither fan base knows much about the 2015 versions of our football team's. CU likely takes a step back on defense, we likely take a step back on offense. Both schools lost a lot of starters, however, CU's losses on defense were much higher than any unit we have...

Thompson, Davis, Cann and others will be missed. There is NO WAY our defense doesn't take a huge step forward. A lot of returners in the back 7, and several nice additions on the DL (Lewis, Wideman, & Sawyer).

Originally posted by Cocky kebo57:

After finishing at the top, and losing 7 or 8 sr starters, and 3 or so key sr backups, a blind autistic person could tell that their D was going to take two or three steps back. Nothing magical about that.Taters proclaim that last season all their backups, and the backups to the backups, all got plenty of PT last season and there will only be a slight drop off. The problem is all these backups and their backups DON'T HAVE THE SAME LEVEL OF talent and athletic ability that those sr starters had last year. I think they drop back further than #30 in total D next season.

Last season, after losing so many good D players, we Gamecocks NEVER envisioned our D would drop to about #95 or thereabouts. The taters saving grace is that in the acc it doesn't take much of a D to make them have good stat's. We will see soon enough in about 5 months who is right, and who is wrong.
The bold text is simply not true and you typing it, or even believing it doesn't make it so. What the Clemson defense lacks right now is experience. The rest is there. Having said that, no Clemson fan believes we have another Grady Garret and Vic Beasley waiting to line up this year but across the board the talent and potential is Better than its ever been.

Read this somewhere and its perfect, its exactly why you can't argue with a Clemson person.

"Arguing with a Clemson fan is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, or how many times you beat him, he's going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

It couldn't get anymore true than that!

The tigers have lost a whole lot more than we did the season before. All my friends who are tiger fans say the same thing , as in our backups have valuable playing experience and they will be just as good.

Sorry, it does not add up. Not saying the tigers will totally suck, but losing that amount of talent, starters and immediate backups there will be some fall out.
But every fan base in the country right now is in the same boat we all are.... Waiting for the 2015 season to start.

No one knows the outcome of that game until the clock hits zero. Both teams have their issues but both should develop as the year goes on. My bet is that the game won't have national implications but the following year it may.

Originally posted by GoLongT:
He (their qb) IS somewhat fragile isn't he? He got a bye against us in last year's game, but Hoke will bring Hell and Damnation down on him this November at W-B.

IMHO, there's going to be a step back on defense this year. That was apparent from the spring game last year vs this year. Last year, you could spit the defense in half and still field two solid defenses. This year we couldn't. I do think that MOST of Clemson's problems are depth related. We will field a SOLID group of starters on defense and by solid, I mean folks that have plenty of non garbage time snaps under their belts (the lone exceptions here are at DE opposite of Lawson (Dodd is currently the front runner here) and the CB position opposite Alexander. Both these players have some experience, but not much. The difference will be in the depth. We simply don't have a 2nd team of players that has the in-game snaps that we had the previous year.

And realize that we THINK we have answers here. We are replacing solid departing talent with more 4 and 5 star guys. But you never know what you have until they start playing.

On offense... I THINK we'll be better. Our OL was a total dumpster fire most of the year last year. We are indeed replacing 2 or 3 guys (depending on whether one player actually returns this summer), but honestly, we should be somewhat improved here anyway. We had a great recruiting class of OL this year and they have apparently been pushing the upper class men pretty hard (yes, our OL is that bad). So I can't help but see some improvement here... either by the upper classmen improving or by just playing the freshmen/rs freshmen.

The biggest question is if Watson can stay healthy. He had a broken collarbone in the spring game (full contact on QBs is indeed stupid), broke a finger in someone's facemask, and tore an ACL on a non contact play. That's a LOT. The question is, are those freak accidents or indications of an injury prone player. No one can know that, and he is the key to Clemson's offense. If he's healthy Clemson's offense is going to be hard to stop. Every starting WR is a 4 star guy with lots of game experience. That's w/o adding in 5 stars McCloud and Cain. You have to think that at least one of these guys will play as well. RB is deep as well with 4 four stars and a 3 star guy vying for time. Skill players are not going to be a problem.

Just like every program, Clemson has some questions coming into the year. Like most programs, we THINK we have answers. We shall see...

We will smoke Clemson this year. I seriously believe we will be 20-25 points better than them. SOS will turn it around
Don't be surprised if we have the #1 D and they are struggling. We have way more talent on D now. Mitch throws for 4000 yards, 30 TD'S and 5 picks. Williams easily runs for 1200. I have us going 11-1 with the only loss to either LSU or Georgia. We then play Alabama in the title game and play them close but ultimately fall short. Win in the Sugar Bowl to finish 12-2. What you guys think?

Originally posted by cockynSC66:
We will smoke Clemson this year. I seriously believe we will be 20-25 points better than them. SOS will turn it around
Don't be surprised if we have the #1 D and they are struggling. We have way more talent on D now. Mitch throws for 4000 yards, 30 TD'S and 5 picks. Williams easily runs for 1200. I have us going 11-1 with the only loss to either LSU or Georgia. We then play Alabama in the title game and play them close but ultimately fall short. Win in the Sugar Bowl to finish 12-2. What you guys think?
lay off the weed

Dabo has made it a point to pay lots of players in meaningful snaps so that when their time comes thwey will have had some experience.

I fixed it for you!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT