ADVERTISEMENT

Deebo- best gamecock 3* ever? Discuss

Sydney rice and connor Shaw were pretty good too
They certainly were. IMHO, I think that, if the current trend continues, Deebo could be better than SR. He has the speed to just turn it on and run away. On the jet sweep running TD last night he was trotting, keeping himself in space where he couldn't be touched. And he breaks tackles. He doesn't run out of bounds unless we need the clock. He blocks well. Total WR package.

That's why I don't put much stock into star-ratings. Deebo is clearly one of the best WR's in the game, which means he's better than dozens of 4 and 5 star-rated receivers.

I think a lot of kids are under-valued because of height/weight (which is ridiculous for 16-17 year olds who are still growing). Coming out of high school he was listed at 5'11 / 183 lbs. Now he's 6'0 / 215 lbs.

Reactions: jimnasium
That's why I don't put much stock into star-ratings. Deebo is clearly one of the best WR's in the game, which means he's better than dozens of 4 and 5 star-rated receivers.

I think a lot of kids are under-valued because of height/weight (which is ridiculous for 16-17 year olds who are still growing). Coming out of high school he was listed at 5'11 / 183 lbs. Now he's 6'0 / 215 lbs.

Yep, he has grown a bit, and is more explosive than anyone seems to have realized... the star rankings are supposed to be a measure of talent and potential, but I have always looked at them as an indication of how FAST a player may develop into a star also... Alshon is a good example- a high 4, almost 5* talent who contributed his freshman season and was a STAR right away... Clowney, the most hyped recruit we ever landed, star from day one... even Chris Culiver had some flashes as a freshman playing WR instead of DB, but I think he could have BEEN a very good DB right away, Gilmore, now Jam Williams... Brian Edwards... not just talent but IMMEDIATE IMPACT talent! Then you look at most of the 3* guys we would put on these lists to compare and while Shaw was thrust into a starting role very early due to the idiocy of Garcia, I think we would all agree he was much better as a Jr and Senior than he was as a freshman or even a sophomore. Norwood- a guy I haven't seen mentioned here- I believe was a 3* guy, turns into a stud, again by his Jr and senior years... so on an individual basis, to ME, a 3* rating doesn't mean the kid can't play... it just means he has the talent but might need a couple years to develop (the size, the mentality, the maturity... whatever is lacking a bit) that it takes to be a stud in college.

Beyond that... stars mean nothing to me for individual players... stars are a decent indication of the strength of a whole CLASS. I can tell you by looking at Bama or clemzun's recruiting classes that they will be good going forward because they are loaded with top tier talent! Even if they have the same attrition rates, injuries and misses that the rest of us have, they will be left with better talent than most other teams... a team like ours with recruiting like we normally have, needs to have fewer misses, find more of the diamond in the rough guys, and have more of them work out to be studs early than the more talented teams to compete. If we can get back to the 9-10 win range and challenge for the East with the talent we have, THEN we can challenge for better recruits and maybe push for that 11-12 win range we achieved a few years ago. That is how we did it then and with the staff we have now and the commitment they have to recruiting, we may well be able to surpass the kind of talent we had during that run with Spurrier. That is why this is a very important year for us! We NEED to win and win bigger than people expected. We need to make Atlanta or at least be in the conversation, we need a guy like Deebo to go to NY and get crazy publicity and be a superstar... just to show guys we can do it here! Then we might get more guys to come that can push us into that next level. Not just 5* guys- who cares... we need more impact players. I think there are more on this team, on both sides of the ball, than most people outside of the team and fan base realized... but we could use some more.

Here's another factor for Deebo's performance. We have too many offensive weapons for a CB to get safety help with Deebo all night. Every time he's in a 1-on-1 he's getting the ball.

I have always said give me a guy who is a coachable 3* like Deebo and he can be coached into a 5* with his skills. Deebo is doing his thing against scholarship college players not high school talent. Coaching and attitude folks.

Reactions: cockamammy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT