ADVERTISEMENT

Defense under Hoke

garnetwhiteandblack

Sep 8, 2014
The Florida defenses were pretty good with Hoke as the defensive coordinator. They were ranked in the top 20 nationally in total defense in two of the three seasons and 27th the other year.

Last edited:
He also had better players at Florida.

I don't know how old you are but I remember Florida fans complaining about Spurrier's recruiting while he was there as well. Spurrier just doesn't put 100% in recruiting, but he wins with who he has. I had a gut feeling we were gonna suck this past season even though we were probably one of the most hyped teams in the nation last year before aTm entered Columbia. I have the exact opposite gut feel about this season. Our defense is gonna surprise everyone.

Reactions: GoLongT
I don't know how old you are but I remember Florida fans complaining about Spurrier's recruiting while he was there as well. Spurrier just doesn't put 100% in recruiting, but he wins with who he has. I had a gut feeling we were gonna suck this past season even though we were probably one of the most hyped teams in the nation last year before aTm entered Columbia. I have the exact opposite gut feel about this season. Our defense is gonna surprise everyone.
Last year I knew we wouldn't be good on defense because of all of the talent that was lost on D-Line and in the secondary. Most put the blame on Ward but even the late great Buddy Ryan couldn't turn that team around. Hopefully I'm wrong.

well, ward was the defensive coordinator and shoulders all the blame as far as im concerned....all he did was make excuses when he should have been looking at himself....im not sure he ever accepted responsibility for the product he put on the field....it was one of the worst defenses i can ever remember at carolina....at least there was a change made, although i feel there should have been a couple of defensive coaches sent packing

Lol, every topic on here turns into "our players suck", "our coaches suck". Doesn't matter how the thread starts. It could be about the current weather in Moscow.

Reactions: jeff2001
Lol, every topic on here turns into "our players suck", "our coaches suck". Doesn't matter how the thread starts. It could be about the current weather in Moscow.
54° in Moscow .........and we suck....!!!! Lol

I hear what you're saying about "better players at Florida", but keep in mind that we gave up 21 points in the 4th Qtr to Tenn and Kentucky and another 14 points to Mizzou. (Not to mention 15 points to Uga in the 4th.)For the first three quarters of all three of those games, our "D" was playing fairly well. Unfortunately, we either didn't make the adjustments needed to win those games or our personnel ran out of gas. (Coaching, conditioning, or depth?) My guess is that it's somewhat of a combination of all three, but the players on "D" did enough for three quarters in every one of those games. If we had made the right adjustments, we might well have won all three and would have finished the year with double digit wins again. Either way, we addressed the coaching part with the addition of Hoke. We addressed the depth part with the addition of Juco's and prep-schoolers. If our S&C program had these kids working as hard the should, my guess is that the "D" improves enough to not lose games in the 4th. I just hope that our young "O" doesn't put them in bad positions late in games where they have to "hold on".

Reactions: IrmeseTiger
I hear what you're saying about "better players at Florida", but keep in mind that we gave up 21 points in the 4th Qtr to Tenn and Kentucky and another 14 points to Mizzou. (Not to mention 15 points to Uga in the 4th.)For the first three quarters of all three of those games, our "D" was playing fairly well. Unfortunately, we either didn't make the adjustments needed to win those games or our personnel ran out of gas. (Coaching, conditioning, or depth?) My guess is that it's somewhat of a combination of all three, but the players on "D" did enough for three quarters in every one of those games. If we had made the right adjustments, we might well have won all three and would have finished the year with double digit wins again. Either way, we addressed the coaching part with the addition of Hoke. We addressed the depth part with the addition of Juco's and prep-schoolers. If our S&C program had these kids working as hard the should, my guess is that the "D" improves enough to not lose games in the 4th. I just hope that our young "O" doesn't put them in bad positions late in games where they have to "hold on".
We never was up 21 against UT or UK. But I understand what ya saying.

I never said that we were up by that many, just that we gave up that many points in the 4th quarters of those games. It's tough to win games if you are giving up that many points in the 4th. Granted 7 of those to UK were on the tipped INT return for a TD, but we gave up a ton in the 4th to a lot of teams in 2014.

Last year I knew we wouldn't be good on defense because of all of the talent that was lost on D-Line and in the secondary. Most put the blame on Ward but even the late great Buddy Ryan couldn't turn that team around. Hopefully I'm wrong.
From what you read and hear about Hoke, he's very fundamentals. The team last year lacked plenty of fundamentals and I feel as Hoke wouldn't have let that sloppy play go on throughout the season We will never know. Let's focus on the future, I think fundamentally and "hunger" wise we will be ready.

Well last year out definitely sucked which means someone is sucking.

I never said that we were up by that many, just that we gave up that many points in the 4th quarters of those games. It's tough to win games if you are giving up that many points in the 4th. Granted 7 of those to UK were on the tipped INT return for a TD, but we gave up a ton in the 4th to a lot of teams in 2014.
O crap you're right . Sorry .

Offense did it's share of disappearing at times too, especially in the 4th quarters. 3 and outs. Turnovers. Not converting on 3rd and 4th down when they could have put the game away. The defense struggled, but the offense didn't do it any favors at times.

From what you read and hear about Hoke, he's very fundamentals. The team last year lacked plenty of fundamentals and I feel as Hoke wouldn't have let that sloppy play go on throughout the season We will never know. Let's focus on the future, I think fundamentally and "hunger" wise we will be ready.

Agree 100%.

Every program has the complainers and the fans that think the head coach is lazy. I have a good feeling about this season.

Reactions: Tigerof66
I cant wait til the season starts so we can talk about how we suck THIS year.

Every program has the complainers and the fans that think the head coach is lazy. I have a good feeling about this season.
Oh really, bet you felt good about last year also and last year we went back to the norm for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT