ADVERTISEMENT

Doty vs Shaw

cockyinbluffton

Jan 15, 2009
I keep seeing people comparing Doty to Shaw like this is what he should look like. Well, besides the fact that Shaw has 3 years as a starter to compare 6 games to (I'm throwing out last season since Doty was unprepared by the coaches and thrown in out of desperation), Shaw had a few other things working in his favor besides a decent o-line.

First and foremost Shaw had Steve Spurrier, one of the greatest play callers of all time, calling the offense. Plus Shaw had a EE redshirt year in sorts (would be in todays game) as the #1 backup learning Spurrier's offense. Even with that he struggled against ECU in his first start having Garcia come in and win the game.

Second, look at the WR's Shaw had compared to Doty.
2011 - Alshon Jeffery, Ace Sanders, Bruce Ellington, Jason Barnes, Damiere Byrd, Lamar Scruggs, DL Moore, and 5' 7" Nick Jones who caught everything. Plus he had Juctice Cunningham and Busta Anderson at TE.
2012 - Ace Sanders, Bruce Ellington, Damiere Byrd, Jody Fuller, Nick Jones, and KJ Brent. Along with Justice Cunningham, Busta Anderson, and Jerell Adams at TE.
2013 - Bruce Ellington, Damiere Byrd, Pharoh Cooper, Nick Jones, Jody Fuller, and KJ Brent. Plus he had Busta Anderson and Jerell Adams at TE.

2021 - Josh Vann who has been coming into his own but is now battling injury, Dakereon Joyner who was converted from QB that most power 5 programs recruited as a safety, Jaylen Brooks a transfer from Wingate, EJ Jenkins a transfer from St Francis, Xavier Legette, Ger-Cari Caldwell, Chad Terrell, and Rico Powers. Plus Doty has Nick Muse, a transfer from William and Mary, and Jaheim Bell who has proven to be a real weapon.

I wonder how Shaw would have looked if thrown into the same position that Doty currently is in? Just food for thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News