ADVERTISEMENT

ECU will load the box...Can we make them pay?

JamesRob

May 31, 2012
ECU isn’t a great team but the athletes are light years better than the joke we played last week.

The Pirates D will load the box today, as I think most teams will do against us. Can we throw the ball downfield to keep them honest?

We didn’t see many deep balls last week, that isn’t sustainable against decent competition.

I’ve got major questions about Satterfield & the QB/WR rooms. We will get partial answers today.

Josh Vann could have a big day if so. He looks like the player that could break out for us. Hope he does.

I'm still not sold on Brook's ability to catch.
?!? Now that’s just weird.

Don’t have to throw deep balls to beat that kind of pressure, mof trying to could very well get you in trouble.

Throw it where they ain’t. Move the sticks.

ECU isn’t a great team but the athletes are light years better than the joke we played last week.

The Pirates D will load the box today, as I think most teams will do against us. Can we throw the ball downfield to keep them honest?

We didn’t see many deep balls last week, that isn’t sustainable against decent competition.

I’ve got major questions about Satterfield & the QB/WR rooms. We will get partial answers today.
Teams loaded the box against Harris last year and he still went beast mode. We returned a good bit of the Oline. I think we'll be better prepared to run the ball this week. I hope to see some good play action and QB runs with Doty if he's healthy

We didn’t need deep balls last week. I hope you all realize we didn’t stunt/blitz/misdirection or anything out of the ordinary for a reason. No need to. We can throw the ball, but we will throw a 4 headed RB monster at ECU. Not saying we have some magic scheme that others have never seen, but we kept things simple on purpose. You only need to show more if what you are doing isn’t working.

I don’t get the whole deep ball obsession

No sh!t…..me neither. I would rather 4-5 yard you down the field to keep the defense off the field. 7 minute drives are your friend no matter who you are. So I hope ECU loads the box cause it’s not like we are anoption team that can’t pass.

The best way to beat a loaded box is on rollout passing plays and I haven't seen enough of Zeb and Jason to know if they can pull that off. I know Luke can but am afraid he may need another game's rest. Gauthier is pretty athletic and definitely can complete rollout passes.

No sh!t…..me neither. I would rather 4-5 yard you down the field to keep the defense off the field. 7 minute drives are your friend no matter who you are. So I hope ECU loads the box cause it’s not like we are anoption team that can’t pass.
I like that too if the defense can get some 3 and outs and prevent TDs.

The best play caller we ever had loved the deep ball, especially during sudden change situations. This isn’t a west coast offense, Satterfield has made that clear.

We have to hit some deep balls, otherwise it will be a long year once SEC play starts.

We didn’t need deep balls last week. I hope you all realize we didn’t stunt/blitz/misdirection or anything out of the ordinary for a reason. No need to. We can throw the ball, but we will throw a 4 headed RB monster at ECU. Not saying we have some magic scheme that others have never seen, but we kept things simple on purpose. You only need to show more if what you are doing isn’t working.
Not sure our running game is any good yet. Although we have a stable of good backs, our OL is still terrible — they handled the East Illinois defense well, but that defense had high school-sized players. Every team we play this year will load the box — just as they have in the past 40 years (with the exception of the Connor Shaw years). SEC teams will continue to eat our lunch until SB recruits effective OL players — which is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Reactions: tngamecock#
100% agree. Quick screens and that box quickly becomes a group of 7
Yet we’ve don’t none of that. No screens, no slants, no sweeps, no pitch plays. Just keep slamming right into where the defense is standing and hope for the best.

We must spread out our offense and make some short passes, which will open our running attack. There is no point to playing Joyner at QB if he not going to pass the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT