ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN First Take Explains It Perfectly About Star College Athletes Being Paid

Upstate_Gamecock5190

Oct 15, 2015

Even though it has to do with NCAA basketball it can relate to NCAA Football also. Here is what he had to say about Brian Bowen saying he didn't know his father received $100,000 dollars from Lousiville. Stephen A Smith explains it perfectly and here what he had to say:

He said, "I started out my career as a high school sports writer having to deal with street runners all the time and here's how it works. You have a star athlete that star athlete performs, but the family or the people closest to him his closest confidant ultimately cultivate a relationship with a financial guy or an agent, that agent or financial guy finances, which are usually folks close to him, it could be parents, it could be a guidance counselor, it could be anybody whoever influences that person and are the adults, they have the money funneled to them." If you're a kid you might get a few extra perks or whatever, but you're not aware of the dollars involved, but you aware of the perks. He went on to say they might get some sweat suits, might be able to get a meal whenever they want, might be able to get a used car whatever the case may be and a family member gave it to them and the athlete is not asking these questions about were the money is coming from, but they may not know that up to 300,000 or even as much as half a million has been funneled to the adult in there life that's what they're missing in all of this. He said, "it's been happening I covered high school sports in 1993 and talk about the star athletes that existed back then I am here to assure you that there was some money exchange and it may not have been directly with the athletes themselves, but the people who were there overseers were confident in their lives, the adults in their lives make no mistake about it, folks were getting taken care of, this has been going on for decades, it still goes on to this very day." He want on to say the reason why it gets a bit convoluted where you might say it's impossible or you find it hard to believe that kids doesn't know anything is because you thinking about the different schools as well, but all the schools are in on it, not literally the institution, but people associated with multiple programs throughout this nation are connected to those sneaker companies, are connected to street agents/runners etc. He said just because Arizona was offering Brian Bowen something and Louisville offer Brian Bowen something it may make no difference because no matter who want you or who get you, you're gonna get some money if you are one of those star athletes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News