ADVERTISEMENT

For 50 years as a Gamecock, I wanted so bad for our play to shut up

Sumter Cock

Nov 29, 1998
all those opposing team's fans who use to talk so much trash about our program because they routinely beat us.

Now, I want so badly for our team's play to shut up our own so-called fan base.
I want vindication for this program, but more against those who claim to be on our side, than from outsiders.
I've never heard as much trash as I hear now, even during the 0-21 slide.

If anybody does not see how far we come, all they have to do is check out some of our old highlights from the 90's. We had a bad year last but lets not forget the same coach who gave us three straight 11 win seasons is still our coach now. The same coach that gave us a nine win season the year before the three straight eleven win seasons in which we went the championship game and won a division title in the toughest college football league in the nation in arguable its golden era!

Is Spurrier perfect? No! Was the three year comment dumb? yep! Would he probably handled differently replacing Ellis Johnson by promoting Ward? possibly? All I know is.....NO COACH............has done better at USC than Spurrier! There are very few who could have turned us around like he did.! He deserves all the latitude in running our program as he wants!

Reactions: ownCU and Bowelk1
Sumter Cock my friend, it offends us all but please understand that most of the real negative posts and lies are coming from Taters posing as Gamecocks. It won't last much longer. We are going to win a lot of games this year and the last one of the season make no mistake about it, but to me, I will enjoy THE MIGHTY CLEMSON TATERS getting waxed by every good team they play this year. They will finally realize you can't win without a kicking game or without an offensive or defensive line even if your relatively inexperienced injury prone QB is being hailed as the greatest ever to play the game. GREAT TIME TO BE A GAMECOCK!!!!!

all those opposing team's fans who use to talk so much trash about our program because they routinely beat us.

I want vindication for this program, but more against those who claim to be on our side, than from outsiders.
Roger that !

I agree that the negativity from your own fans seems a little premature. This team on paper is better than the 2005 and 2006 squads Spurrier inherited from Holtz, and those ended up being pretty good football teams.

Reactions: gpcocks
I agree that the negativity from your own fans seems a little premature. This team on paper is better than the 2005 and 2006 squads Spurrier inherited from Holtz, and those ended up being pretty good football teams.
It's a funny thing Tiger. You guys talk about how good you expect to be and too many of "our fans" talk about how they expect us to suck. Go figure. I'd hate to have this bunch in a fox hole with me.

You hit the nail on the head

We'll win games this year and lots of the whiners will slink back where they came from, that's just the way it works with whiners

Spurrier's been a winner his entire life - the 'fans' who say he's not a good recruiter or that he's too old or that he's out of touch don't have a clue. The BIGGEST tripe is about star-ratings. Only ONE coach in the history of the SEC has more SEC wins than SOS ... here's a quote from 'Bear' Bryant:

“I think the most important thing of all for any team is a winning attitude. The coaches must have it. The players must have it. The student body and the fans must have it. If you have dedicated players who believe in themselves, you don’t need a lot of talent. Raw talent is overrated. Desire, heart, teamwork and execution is what wins most football games. We've sent many bigger, faster and stronger football players back to losing locker rooms because our players believed in themselves and our students and fans knew we would find a way to win.”

Go 'Cocks!

“I think the most important thing of all for any team is a winning attitude. The coaches must have it. The players must have it. The student body and the fans must have it. If you have dedicated players who believe in themselves, you don’t need a lot of talent. Raw talent is overrated. Desire, heart, teamwork and execution is what wins most football games. We've sent many bigger, faster and stronger football players back to losing locker rooms because our players believed in themselves and our students and fans knew we would find a way to win.”

I think that pretty much sums it up. Case closed. GO COCKS!

Sumter Cock my friend, it offends us all but please understand that most of the real negative posts and lies are coming from Taters posing as Gamecocks. It won't last much longer. We are going to win a lot of games this year and the last one of the season make no mistake about it, but to me, I will enjoy THE MIGHTY CLEMSON TATERS getting waxed by every good team they play this year. They will finally realize you can't win without a kicking game or without an offensive or defensive line even if your relatively inexperienced injury prone QB is being hailed as the greatest ever to play the game. GREAT TIME TO BE A GAMECOCK!!!!!

I agree and I wish our mods would do what tater mods do. As soon as something posts even SLIGHTLY negative about the team or coaches, you get banned for life.

One of the problems I see with some fans, who qualify as 'Negative Nellies, is a paranoid fear of our reverting back to the roller coastal experience of the Dietzel Era, the on-and-of-the-field troubles of the Carlen Era, the incompetence of the Sparky Era and the horror of the massive train wreck in the Brad Scott Era.

Many are simply scared to death that we might revert back to our old ways. I understand their guardedness and fears, but times and conditions HAVE changed - one being $$$ and the other being the backing of our BOT and administrative leadership. There will be NO TURNING BACK. I honestly believe another factor - our under age 50 alums and supporters who want more from Saturday night/day Carolina football than an outdoor drinking fest! They want to WIN, and they are determined!

As for the Tater assholes who slink over here from TaterNet, go back to Dung Valley and do to livestock whatever unmentionables you do and stay the hell away from this Board!

One of the problems I see with some fans, who qualify as 'Negative Nellies, is a paranoid fear of our reverting back to the roller coastal experience of the Dietzel Era, the on-and-of-the-field troubles of the Carlen Era, the incompetence of the Sparky Era and the horror of the massive train wreck in the Brad Scott Era.

Many are simply scared to death that we might revert back to our old ways. I understand their guardedness and fears, but times and conditions HAVE changed - one being $$$ and the other being the backing of our BOT and administrative leadership. There will be NO TURNING BACK. I honestly believe another factor - our under age 50 alums and supporters who want more from Saturday night/day Carolina football than an outdoor drinking fest! They want to WIN, and they are determined!

As for the Tater assholes who slink over here from TaterNet, go back to Dung Valley and do to livestock whatever unmentionables you do and stay the hell away from this Board!
The problem is that most of the whiners weren't born early enough to remember that...lol

Did he not also say he would take his players and beat yours, or he would take your players and beat his, or something to that effect? Give me a 3* that gives it his all, and plays with heart all the time over a 5* that does not give 110% all the time. We have all seen the latter and you can lose with them too.

Did he not also say he would take his players and beat yours, or he would take your players and beat his, or something to that effect? Give me a 3* that gives it his all, and plays with heart all the time over a 5* that does not give 110% all the time. We have all seen the latter and you can lose with them too.
Agree. Even JC took plays off.

I don't think that most negative comments come from CU fans from TI posing as SC fans. Virtually all CU fans that post here can be clearly identified by name. Since following recruiting has become so popular, some people have mistakenly come to believe that it is an exact science which it clearly is not. Those fans over react to the recruiting rankings if they have doubts about the evaluation skills of their staff. The fans that have trust in their staff's evaluation skills do not have the same level of concern. The back and forth you see between fans is likely due to that factor more than CU fans posting as SC fans. I'm sure there are a few fans on both sides who try to post as impostors but I would bet you that there are very few. BTW, two of the best players on our defense last year were Vic Beasley and Grady Jarrett. They were both 3* players from Georgia that UGa never gave a sniff to. There are a lot of players out there if you know what you are looking for. Do you trust the evaluations of your staff?

Reactions: sandlapper59
I don't think that most negative comments come from CU fans from TI posing as SC fans. Virtually all CU fans that post here can be clearly identified by name. Since following recruiting has become so popular, some people have mistakenly come to believe that it is an exact science which it clearly is not. Those fans over react to the recruiting rankings if they have doubts about the evaluation skills of their staff. The fans that have trust in their staff's evaluation skills do not have the same level of concern. The back and forth you see between fans is likely due to that factor more than CU fans posting as SC fans. I'm sure there are a few fans on both sides who try to post as impostors but I would bet you that there are very few. BTW, two of the best players on our defense last year were Vic Beasley and Grady Jarrett. They were both 3* players from Georgia that UGa never gave a sniff to. There are a lot of players out there if you know what you are looking for. Do you trust the evaluations of your staff?

I give credit to you for making your allegiance known. What we have happening here are wolves in sheep's clothing. They use a fake Carolina name and it's their 1st post and it's all negative and most obviously tater driven.

If anybody does not see how far we come, all they have to do is check out some of our old highlights from the 90's. We had a bad year last but lets not forget the same coach who gave us three straight 11 win seasons is still our coach now. The same coach that gave us a nine win season the year before the three straight eleven win seasons in which we went the championship game and won a division title in the toughest college football league in the nation in arguable its golden era!

Is Spurrier perfect? No! Was the three year comment dumb? yep! Would he probably handled differently replacing Ellis Johnson by promoting Ward? possibly? All I know is.....NO COACH............has done better at USC than Spurrier! There are very few who could have turned us around like he did.! He deserves all the latitude in running our program as he wants!
He did a good job, but now he is too old and everyone but him and his worshipers know it. It's time for another change! And I am not shutting up about it. This program's fate is does not depend on Steve Spurrier alone!

He did a good job, but now he is too old and everyone but him and his worshipers know it. It's time for another change! And I am not shutting up about it. This program's fate is does not depend on Steve Spurrier alone!

Lots of people so often think of 'age' as the most important (non)-qualifier ... it's fortunate some 'worshipers' (and investors) were there to encourage Harlan Sanders and (voters) Ronald Regan, elected POTUS at age 70 ... or readers (Frank McCort) ... and 'true worshipers' (Berkshire Hathaway) ... or just down the road at Coastal Carolina (Joe Moglia) - who prior to taking over CCU's football team at age 64 and coaching the Chants to amazing heights these last three seasons NEVER even had a college head coaching job.

Yea, I think Jo:pa and Bobby Bowden did stay a few years too long ... but that's apples and oranges ... they were both EIGHTY+ when their time was up ... and history shows BOTH men were still winners and BIG WINNERS well into their 70's.

My opinion (OR your opinion) doesn't MATTER right now ... SOS IS our HBC and 'not shutting up about it' draws a CLEAR LINE for just 'one guy' - SOS to either call you on it or prove you right. With 6,000+ posts in < 3-years I'll assume you'll be around to either "crow about it" OR eat one when 2015 is all said and done.

Meanwhile, like a lawyer losing every single Motion the judges who actually count will continue to 'Deny' your objections ... please free free to continue hollering "Exception!".

But I wish you'd consider that it only slows down the proceedings and forces the bench to grant you a nod and utter you a 'Noted'.

Last edited:

Why don't you revisit this after the season ends and Read, I hope you will be here if you are wrong and not like some of my tater friends that disappear!

NO Read...what is "old" is all your holier than thou comments...like you are the only one on this board that knows anything about college football, which is obviously far from the truth. That said, I'm probably sitting here playing into your hands by commenting back.

RedR00ster, how often do you see programs hire new coaches, what % would you say are good hires. Even schools with great traditions, considered powerhouses have made awful hires....schools like Alabama, Michigan, Florida, Tennessee,Nebraska,ect. Hiring a new coach in most cases is a crap shoot.I have seen a lot of home-run hires crash and burn!

Am I implying our next hire will be definitely be a dog? Of course not. What I can say it will be a risk. So why on earth would we run off a coach who has brought us our most success after one bad season because some pundits think he has gotten to old. If he has three years of 7 wins or less, then we can have that discussion.But to have this discussion now is the height of crazy. I am no "worshiper" of Spurrier but I have seen a lot of losing and crappy coaching in my 47 years as a Gamecock fan to know that Spurrier is a much safer bet right now than going out attempting to hire someone else!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT